What is your worst/most ridiculous and best/easiest experience when selling your car ?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Razor.

RMS Regular
Drives
yes
So just scrolling through Facebook today at some cars and some of the comments/questions posted underneath are so stupid and ridiculous you wonder how these people actually survive.

Brings me to think as what I would do when some ass hat like this turns up at my door when I'm selling a car.
If you see someone come to look at your car and you felt they were "dodgy" for whatever reason, would you just point blank refuse to sell it to them or what would you do?

My worst/most ridiculous:
Selling one of my first cars. 2 Polish fellas show up, take a look around the car. Chit chat to themselves in Polish for about 10mins and don't speak a word to me. They then ask me for test drive. We go out in the car for a 30 MINUTE test drive, whist driving decides to phone a mate and chats to him for a good 15/20 mins. Finally he seems happy and comes back to my house where he then proceeds to do a mini burnout to "test" the handbrake. Gets out of the car and offers me £1k less than the asking price. I laugh it off and tell him no chance to which he replies the car has some problems. I didn't even reply, locked the car and just went back inside. Heard their car leave after 5 mins.

My best/easiest:
Said car was only advertised online for 2/3 hours. Guy turns up, he was very quiet. didn't ask many questions at all. Had a 2 min look around the car then asked for a test drive. Literally drove around the block and came straight back with not so much a smile on his face. Handed me the full asking price there and then, didn't once try to haggle. Wish everyone was like him !!

Chris0

RMS Regular
Thankfully I keep any car I buy for a long enough time that I don't buy/sell cars every year

Selling parts is bad enough nevermind cars

mayweather

RMS Regular
Drives
M3 Evolution
Had an m3 for sale and bunch of lads from Draperstown came up to see it, while they looked over the car, one of them proceeded to walk over to the side of my house and took a pish against the wall....

A6Avant

RMS Regular
Drives
A6 Avant
A few years back i was selling a Seat Leon. Young guy showed up with is mate and took a quick look around the car and asked could he take it for a spin. It was about 9 or 10pm so I dont know how much he could really see. drove it for 5 mins out the road and back. Didnt haggle, didnt ask any questions except "How do you want paid?" At the time i had winter wheels on the car which didnt look great. I told im Id change them for him to the BBS alloys I had for it. He said he didnt care about the wheels and the ones that were on it would do fine. I also needed to hang on to the car for another week after the sale until my new car came in and he just wrote me a cheque, told me to call him when he could come lift it. The most hassle free sale ive ever had.

Another time I was selling a Megane. Again a young fella turned up to look at it and was very interested. It was a week before his 18th birthday and said he would call to pay for it after his birthday because he had things to sort. We shook hands and agreed that he would call me in a week or so. In the meantime, his dad called me and told me to call the son and tell him the car was sold and he could no longer have it. The dad said he came home after seeing the car and was so excited that he wanted to buy it for him. I called the young fella and apologised that the car had been sold and wished him well in his hunt for a new motor. Next day the father came to the house and handed me £7.5K in cash. He took the car and parked it in the garage at home. Week later and the young lad phoned me to tell me that the guy i sold the car to was his dad and what were the chances! I had to explain to him that i knew all along but couldnt ruin the surprise.

kippermoon

RMS Regular
Drives
mk3 rs/impreza r
while selling my vr6 golf guy arrived at the house,walked round the car and asked for a drive.quick 5 mins up the road and back produced a brown envelope with the money and that was it.about the only thing he said was" were you ever inside?you look familiar"

sure enough peelers were at the house shortly after looking a description of the buyer

gav525

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
My best/easiest was when I listed an E46 320ci for sale on gumtree at 9pm one night. Submitted the advert and noticed a couple of spelling mistakes literally 30secs after the advert went live. Went into edit it as the phone rang, boy came down from Bangor, didn't even drive the car, gave me the full money and left :laughing:

Don't think I've had any terrible experiences selling cars really, some chancers like but that's the norm when selling.
Strangest sale would have been my Mk V XR3i in Scotland which the guy wanted no matter what but couldn't afford it.

In the end he got it for, £725 plus a mini moto, golf clubs, a PS2 and whatever the latest mobile phone was back then lol

bmurf

RMS Regular
Drives
200sx
Best sale I had was a wee Berlingo van, had the advert up 3 minutes, got a phone call, came up after 20 minutes, looked around in the dark at it with his phone torch for 2 mins, 5 minute test drive and haggled a bit and sold

bigsigh

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M2
I had my evo for sale for a while and eventually some dude from wexford messaged me , ... wanted me to drive it to him ^o)
eventually we agreed on price (in Sterling) and i agreed to drive it to Newry (from north down) to meet him

Arrive in carpark of the quays shopping center , he produces half the money in STG and half in Eur at his own exchange rate :mad:

Having driven the whole way to newry and not having many interested, aside from him, in the car i let it go.
by the time i transfered my euros to stg i was about £300 shy of what we agreed on.

a few days later he messaged me to say the rear diff had eaten itself.....

oh how i laughed , and laughed ... and laughed and laughed and laughed :party:

dufunk

RMS Regular
Had a fella turn up to look at my MR2 on his own which isn't a good start, so I let him look around the car for ages and every piece of paper work with a fine tooth comb and had the car running for nearly a half hour as he thought it would overheat and kept going on about heat gaskets etc was only looking 600 quid, so I basically said do you even have cash on you which he replied no so I knock her off locked her up and went inside the house leaving him standing there!

Ian A

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
Easiest - Was selling a rough skoda fabia I bought as a runabout over winter while I was at uni.

AN older guy and his neighbour who was a young bodyworker came to look round the car. Young fella test drove it while the other guy sat on a bench at the front of my house. We came back after a few miles, he said it was grand. Older guy hands over full asking price, gone. Maybe 5-10 minutes in total.

Or maybe selling a B5.5 Passat. Posted on Facebook saying I was thinking of selling. Had 3 seperate mates round to the house that night, and sold within maybe 2 hours.

Most awkward -

Selling a MKV GTI Golf. Agreed sale at a good price if I MOT'd the car and got a wheel alignment. MOT'd the car, went to get a wheel alignment from a place that rhymes with Sagowans, they took 3 attempts to get the car driving straight, and damaged one of the car's arches on the 3rd, denied all fault, and took weeks of back and forth before they would pay up, all while the buyer was waiting.

Buyer himself was understanding, but a complete wierdo also. Hid behind the currents when I delivered the car, even though he text saying he was out at the time, and I had to push the keys and taxbook through the letterbox.

Deleted member 13907

D
Buyer himself was understanding, but a complete wierdo also. Hid behind the currents when I delivered the car, even though he text saying he was out at the time, and I had to push the keys and taxbook through the letterbox.
That is hilarious!

Razor.

RMS Regular
OP
Razor.
Drives
yes
A few years back i was selling a Seat Leon. Young guy showed up with is mate and took a quick look around the car and asked could he take it for a spin. It was about 9 or 10pm so I dont know how much he could really see. drove it for 5 mins out the road and back. Didnt haggle, didnt ask any questions except "How do you want paid?" At the time i had winter wheels on the car which didnt look great. I told im Id change them for him to the BBS alloys I had for it. He said he didnt care about the wheels and the ones that were on it would do fine. I also needed to hang on to the car for another week after the sale until my new car came in and he just wrote me a cheque, told me to call him when he could come lift it. The most hassle free sale ive ever had.

Another time I was selling a Megane. Again a young fella turned up to look at it and was very interested. It was a week before his 18th birthday and said he would call to pay for it after his birthday because he had things to sort. We shook hands and agreed that he would call me in a week or so. In the meantime, his dad called me and told me to call the son and tell him the car was sold and he could no longer have it. The dad said he came home after seeing the car and was so excited that he wanted to buy it for him. I called the young fella and apologised that the car had been sold and wished him well in his hunt for a new motor. Next day the father came to the house and handed me £7.5K in cash. He took the car and parked it in the garage at home. Week later and the young lad phoned me to tell me that the guy i sold the car to was his dad and what were the chances! I had to explain to him that i knew all along but couldnt ruin the surprise.

That birthday story is amazing !

Reactions: DC.

davey-dimples

RMS Regular
Drives
E90 330D
I had my evo for sale for a while and eventually some dude from wexford messaged me , ... wanted me to drive it to him ^o)
eventually we agreed on price (in Sterling) and i agreed to drive it to Newry (from north down) to meet him

Arrive in carpark of the quays shopping center , he produces half the money in STG and half in Eur at his own exchange rate :mad:

Having driven the whole way to newry and not having many interested, aside from him, in the car i let it go.
by the time i transfered my euros to stg i was about £300 shy of what we agreed on.

a few days later he messaged me to say the rear diff had eaten itself.....

oh how i laughed , and laughed ... and laughed and laughed and laughed :party:

Similar thing happened to me with a member here believe it or not ... not naming names.

Agreed a price for a car which needed a bit of work but bodywork etc looked grand for the age.

It was at my mates house as I had no room to store it so we met there (after meeting a few days previous for a viewing and agreeing price)

I was handed a good portion of the money in notes and then he and his mates started rummaging in their pockets and eventually they were handing me fluffy pennies and still came up short on what was agreed... they were all giggling and found it a bit of a laugh 8o|

Got a text about a week later that after getting the car up on a lift it was like a teabag underneath ... needless to say I wasnt too worried after the payment I had received :party:

Most irritating thing is that he had some moneys worth of cars about him so wasnt short from the looks of it ...

cupraricky

RMS Regular
Had an ibiza. Guy came into my work on work experience and mentioned he was after a car. I mentioned I had the ibiza for sale, let him see it. Roll on one week him and the old man are at the house to check it over, quick test drive, full asking price no negotiations said he couldn't fault the car at all and therefore wouldn't try negotiate :laughing:

Never had a bad experience selling as such. More so, pain in arse when buying a car myself.

Marc

RMS Moderator
I sold the wifes car to a trader from here, it was the easiest sale ever!

friend knew this trader and he had a sent him a few photos of the car, told him the service history etc and he bank transferred me the cash without even looking at the car and collected it the next day. I didnt even get a chance to advertise the car so was the best/easiest sale I have ever had.

cheers @BBSBOY for sorting it all btw.

m00k

RMS Regular
Drives
Vauxhalls/Holden
Sold a high miler Passat (280k on it) think it passed through a few trades and then got a note thru the door to ring someone in the south

Anyhow rang him turned out he had been looking at the car and seen my name and address on some of the paperwork googled the address found a neighbour had his business registered closeby so he rang that neighbour asking him to put his phone no through the door

When I rang him he asked what miles were on it when I sold it so I asked what's on it now?

80k he replied... there a haircut and a skin head!!

I sold it for about £800 and it was now for sale for €3k

Handiest was vxr8 met the folks at airport they drove it to Lisburn dropped me off paid the cash and headed for the ferry

Worst prob selling he wife's m3, BMW nerds are a strange breed

Ge0rge

Banned
sold a car just yesterday to a big african american lady shall we say, she asked on the phone what was rock bottom i said £850 delivered and i make my own way home as she had no way of getting to me, i got there and she said drive me to castlecourt il go into the bank and get the money (she never drove nor looked around it) came back outside and she said so you will take £950 and make your own way home lol i said yes ok (extra £100 but whatever) she said show me where the water goes which i did and dandered through castlecourt and headed home, lots of stupid/silly stories but that would be the most recent/easiest!

Father Stack

RMS Regular
Drives
VRS
I was selling a mk1 Golf Clipper a few years ago, I absolutely loved the thing but I drove it daily, the fuel bills were crippling. A lad from up the north coast rang me about it, I told him all about it on the phone and he agreed to come down to Lurgan to buy it, pending a test drive. The car had very little fuel in it, so we agreed to drive the 3 or 4 miles to a petrol station so I'd throw a bit in for him to take it home, and that would do as the test drive (the car was driving really well). Went in, got the petrol, drove home, and as soon as I pulled into my driveway, the driveway filled with smoke and the car overheated. Headgasket went. Couldn't have been worse timing.

He'd came he whole way from the north coast and still wanted the car, so he agreed to take it for £500 less than I was asking, to cover the cost of worst case scenario, a new engine and fitting. I was happy enough tbh. The car had been for sale for a while and nobody else was showing interest, and I just wanted it out of the driveway. As it turned out, I ended up going to Kellys that night, and bumped into him! Both of us were a little worse for wear though.

pablo

RMS Moderator
selling a B6 A4 avant sport and meeting the lad in local Maxol. He was there first so he was standing watching the car as I drove into the carpark. Got out he says "Yup looks 100% Ill take it". Didnt even look around it never mind test drive it. Full asking and up the road.

I made him take a test drive though just for his/my own peace of mind.

EP82JM

RMS Regular
Ive had years and years of good sales, never a problem... Until a few months ago... A well known young young car buyer/seller through Facebook and jon44, does a bit of dealing in silvias and the likes.. Id bought parts off him and chatted away so was friendly enough with him, premier edition type r civic running hondata etc, High miles but cheap for the spec, deal was done, wanted me to do a 50 mile drive to collect the deposit from him lol eventually gor a bank transfer and he was due to collect on Tuesday, no word and on Wednesday his bird rang to say insurance was too dear so she would call the next day with her granda as he had trade, fast forward to the day after they bought it and I got a message from him saying the 2 front mud gaurds were missing and there was a wire hanging down underneath(lambda plug as it wasnt needed with ecu), all stuff he should have noticed when buying, anyway I said whats your point and he said nothing im just saying...next thing him and a few mates landed to my door at 10pm looking their money back over fcking splash gaurds on a 12 year old civic lol I agreed to fix it and when I thought about it I realised holdvon, if theyll land to my house over splash gaurds what will they do over a gearbox etc, so I told them the next day ill just take the car back, handed them the cash and they said well its for the best it happened now and not a few months down the line when something big has went wrong.. Lol fack aff! Im sure a good few on here would know him. It was my call to Give the money back as I couldnt be bothered with people like that, only thing that annoyed me was he buys and sells and knows rightly it was sold as seen.

jimc

RMS Regular
Drives
caddy
Had one years ago, came looked at the car agreed price to be collected next day, next day i'm counting the cash and as I get to 12 grand he says it's a bit short it's all I could get , 1500 short is more than a bit, handed it back and said all the best.

AlpineF30

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M3
Most of my motors have been trade ins now so they would be the best as there is very little hassle.

The worst one I had when I was selling an E90 318d years ago.

Had a boy ring about it and said he wanted to come see it tonight, right no bother. I was working in Belfast and rushed home got the car washed and tidied up as it was my daily driver.
Needless to say he never showed up. Then rang the next week attempting to do the same stunt didn't fall for it this time and if the car was stinking when I got home from work so be it. Again never turned up.

Then got another phone call at about 7 the next night. A young fella asking to look at the car.
Okay no bother heres my address. Nah I wanna meet you in Asda car park in Downpatrick.

I said its further out of your way and I have a well lit shed so you can get a good look at the motor there wheres it dry. Nah Asda car park or nothing. Right ****ing weirdo.

Was pouring down with rain so I went on my merry way into Asda car park but felt a bit nervous so told a few of my mates to park in the car park just incase they were going to try something as it freaked me out a bit but thought give them the benefit of the doubt.

So in they come in a basically identical looking E90, they looked round the motor for about 30 seconds. I said on the phone listen I am only taking a deposit tonight your not having the car away with you as I need it until the end of the week as I was putting new tyres on it.

Nope we want it tonight, didn't haggle or anything else. Something was up for sure. He pulls out a load of notes and then I begin to count them. Luckilly enough I had a money detector pen with me. About the first 4 20's in the pile and the last 4 were genuine the bulk were duds. Said to him here these are duds and they all jumped in their car and took off.

lightning

RMS Trader
Drives
volvo 740
Not car related but we had a guy in yesterday I couldn't quite believe.

"Hi I bought a pair of snickers trousers and they shrunk in the wash. I rang snickers uk and they said they would refund them so I'm here to collect the £65."

"Ok sir lets see them"

"Sure I threw them out as they didn't fit anymore."

"ok sir can I see your receipt?"

"No I lost it. Not sure I definitely bought them here but your a snickers retailer so I want my £65".

Sure no problem, no product, no receipt and no idea. Are you sure you didn't have 2 pairs? Sure take £130 to be safe. :mad:

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.