Whats going on with MOT Availability at the moment?

gary1365

RMS Regular
Drives
Great news
Got the MOT reminder for my car in the post today, the current MOT expires tomorrow, like really? Is it any wonder the whole thing is a mess. I was holding out hoping it would be extended, but no joy, or else I would have been organised and had it booked well in advance. If the next readily available appointments are in 3 months time then the reminders should be sent out accordingly.
That’s the exact reason I’ve never waited for a letter they usually arrive too late or not at all. Through this whole extension mess I’ve just used the online checker to keep an eye on my extensions.

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Didn't know that they were still applying extensions, I did a 1st test on my daily in Jan and just checked if it was up again in Jan, nope, June. 🤷‍♂️

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
None of this is new, it's always been the same. I've never had an initial time slot anything less than a month out. Or a reminder letter more than a couple of weeks before it expires (though the day before is taking the biscuit!!!)

Just take whatever time is available, then go back and keep refreshing the rebooking page every now and then until a cancellation pops up. It rarely takes more than a day to get a time within a week, or even the next day with a bit of perseverance.

Or book a few months ahead based on the current expiry and ignore any extensions. If it does get extended then the booking should be cancelled, or you can cancel it yourself.

It really is no different from how it's always worked.

But yes, it is a mess with the random extensions and no notification and the late reminders, etc. It just always has been.

Last edited:

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Until a year ago and the lifts broke, I used the letter. It worked fine and was harder to forget about as it sat on the telephone table in the hall for a few days as a reminder. Apart from bringing a car in from England then it didn’t work for whatever reason.

Now I use the vehicle smart app which seems to work OK provided I don’t ignore the reminders. Just a matter of remembering I’ve a MOT booked in 3 months time now lol

Ben P

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW F33/A6C7
Lifts broke. Caused a back log.
Covid hit. Caused a bigger back log.

Do not rely on letters comming to remind you. They are not as reliable or efficient as sending them as they were pre lift break and covid.

There have been booking issues for about 18months now! So a bit of foresight to manually check when its up would be prudent and will help no end!

I thought everyone (especially us car folk) knew that there was 2-3 month lead times.
Especially after reading this thread!

There is still the odd extension being handed out for cars under 8 or 9 years old (something like that), so again beneficial to check to see if its been extended again manually.

PDK

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E92 & E46
I went on to book my MOT yesterday.
Have to come back on the 8th Jan 😂 won’t let me book that far in advance

Mallusk earliest date was 25th Feb 😳😮

DJMCA

RMS Regular
There have been booking issues for about 18months now! So a bit of foresight to manually check when its up would be prudent and will help no end!

I thought everyone (especially us car folk) knew that there was 2-3 month lead times.
Especially after reading this thread!
Agreed, no real excuse for not checking when its due and booking well in advance (bar an oversight etc.).

Robert

RMS Trader
So with the above comment the best thing the dva can do is scrap the reminders instead of sorting out their timing? 🤔
Even before the lift saga and covid a reminder at 24hrs notice was never sufficient.

Ben P

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW F33/A6C7
So with the above comment the best thing the dva can do is scrap the reminders instead of sorting out their timing? 🤔
Even before the lift saga and covid a reminder at 24hrs notice was never sufficient.

Of course not.
A reminder 1 month in advance would be great and sensible. However as I say, I was under the impression we, car people, all knew there were issues at present.
Even if you did get your letter 1 month in advance there are potential lead times of 2-3 months in some cases at the min!

I stand by just periodically checking when your MOT is due. Not much difference to keeping an eye on when your car needs taxed or serviced.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
There’s reminder mechanisms in place for all those. My car reminds me when it needs serviced, tax is taken automatically through direct debit. 99% of the population aren’t car people.

I couldn’t tell you when the filter on my coffee machine needs changed or when the boiler is due a service or when my trailer needs its service / safety checks. There are reminder processes in place for all those things either from the manufacturer or an app or whatever. For decades people have received a letter to let them know their MOT is due so you can understand that when that process stops working why they’re a bit annoyed, especially given guidance from DVA on their website.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
I can 100% understand @Coog and I agree its crap.

But. This MOT palava hasnt just started to happen this week!

Ask any non car loving relative or mate how the MOT process works or how they can find out how the process works. I’d bet you not many will say they’re looking at booking today for slots in March.

The DVA need to get smarter. They need to see what the backlog looks like and tailor their reminder timings accordingly… or they need to change the advice on their website which clearly says to wait for notification before booking and that there’s some sort of non official extension if your MOT expires before you can get a test.

DJMCA

RMS Regular
There’s reminder mechanisms in place for all those. My car reminds me when it needs serviced, tax is taken automatically through direct debit. 99% of the population aren’t car people.

I couldn’t tell you when the filter on my coffee machine needs changed or when the boiler is due a service or when my trailer needs its service / safety checks. There are reminder processes in place for all those things either from the manufacturer or an app or whatever. For decades people have received a letter to let them know their MOT is due so you can understand that when that process stops working why they’re a bit annoyed, especially given guidance from DVA on their website.
But its your responsibility to know those things. Do you need to rely on an app or a reminder from someone else to tell you when to eat or when to take a crap?? :joy:

Its called being organised and keeping on track of things. What did people do years ago without apps or similar. Multiple things need done on a regular basis, not just car related. It happens at the same time every year, not like its unexpected

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
But its your responsibility to know those things. Do you need to rely on an app or a reminder from someone else to tell you when to eat or when to take a crap?? :joy:

Its called being organised and keeping on track of things. What did people do years ago without apps or similar. Multiple things need done on a regular basis, not just car related. It happens at the same time every year, not like its unexpected

Year ago they got a letter.

Ben P

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW F33/A6C7
On the topic of being prepared. I almost missed my MOT I had booked 3 months in advance lmao 🤣.
Could've sworn I'd booked for 20something of Nov, but it was the 4th Nov lol. 🤦‍♂️

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
On the topic of being prepared. I almost missed my MOT I had booked 3 months in advance lmao 🤣.
Could've sworn I'd booked for 20something of Nov, but it was the 4th Nov lol. 🤦‍♂️

Into the calendar. I’ve done that before. Also arrived a full week early for one once lol

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
I may have arrived a week late for one a right few years ago. They always go on the calendar now. 🤦‍♂️

I don't really have an issue with much of it other than the lack of communication, in the case of my daily I was about to book a test for January (or book a test anytime and get a cancellation etc) when I found that it has been extended to June. Last month it was January, just an email would be dead on, the same goes for reminders for tests, it can't be difficult to schedule e-mails a week before and a day before a booked test. Same for due dates, it isn't difficult or it shouldn't be.

carmad.

RMS Regular
Drives
good old bird
Got the MOT reminder for my car in the post today, the current MOT expires tomorrow, like really? Is it any wonder the whole thing is a mess. I was holding out hoping it would be extended, but no joy, or else I would have been organised and had it booked well in advance. If the next readily available appointments are in 3 months time then the reminders should be sent out accordingly.

same here

logged on first available date is february 😂

3 years since it’s been threw a test

DaddyCC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
Mot due on mine mid Feb next year. Have to admit as much as I knew there were issues I didn't think I'd need to book a couple of months in advance.

Went on last night to check and first date for Mallusk is 3 Feb, so took that whilst there.

NI_Volvo_Nut

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo's!
I
Mot due on mine mid Feb next year. Have to admit as much as I knew there were issues I didn't think I'd need to book a couple of months in advance.

Went on last night to check and first date for Mallusk is 3 Feb, so took that whilst there.
I went on at 8am this morning and look where I am now.
20211204_093637.jpg

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Bought a car in Sept ( MOT expires 20 Dec )...no reminders, no letters ( English MOT though ), booked early after purchase, passed last night.

Simple. Less than 10 minutes at the centre