Whats going on with MOT Availability at the moment?

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
There in lies the problem I've always booked about 4 weeks in advance unless there's been some crisis then it's earlier.

They say you shouldn’t book until the letter lands on the doorstep.

3020D215-416E-4F6B-AD2F-71163F65528D.jpeg

Mine is up end Jan. No letter and I guess it won’t be here till about Christmas. If I look online now I can get a test for February or if I wait till the letter arrives I’m sure I’ll not get a date until March sometime.

So is it OK to drive away between MOT expiry and the test date in March? I thought I read somewhere that they will allow it and have agreement from insurers. Or should I book early?

I assume that booking early exacerbates the problem for others following the official advice, but understand that’s an unusual way of thinking given that not everyone considers implications beyond their own. Plus if it’s a way for another short MOT extension - then why not take it…

gary1365

RMS Regular
Drives
Great news
They say you shouldn’t book until the letter lands on the doorstep.

View attachment 342213

Mine is up end Jan. No letter and I guess it won’t be here till about Christmas. If I look online now I can get a test for February or if I wait till the letter arrives I’m sure I’ll not get a date until March sometime.

So is it OK to drive away between MOT expiry and the test date in March? I thought I read somewhere that they will allow it and have agreement from insurers. Or should I book early?

I assume that booking early exacerbates the problem for others following the official advice, but understand that’s an unusual way of thinking given that not everyone considers implications beyond their own. Plus if it’s a way for another short MOT extension - then why not take it…
It doesn’t really matter if you book it 4 weeks before or a week before it’s due date if there not enough appointments people will be disappointed. There’s also been years I’ve never received a reminder letter at all.

When I said I book it 4 weeks in advance I book it for with in a few days of my mot is due I don’t mot my car early.

I can also remember the strikes in 2004 as my driving test was cancelled and rebooked I had to wait months for another test and was extremely lucky I did my test on the first day they came back to work.

Last edited:

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
It's always been like this.

Wait until you get the reminder letter so you know you will actually be called.

Then book whatever time is available at that point, it will be months out.

Go to the rebooking page and just keep refreshing every now and then through the day until a cancellation pops up. It might take a day or two but one will turn up.

If you get a reminder letter then you technically can't drive after the expiry date other than to/from a garage or a test centre.

This is how it's always worked.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
It's always been like this.

Wait until you get the reminder letter so you know you will actually be called.

Then book whatever time is available at that point, it will be months out.

Go to the rebooking page and just keep refreshing every now and then through the day until a cancellation pops up. It might take a day or two but one will turn up.

If you get a reminder letter then you technically can't drive after the expiry date other than to/from a garage or a test centre.

This is how it's always worked.

Except since this whole mess started?

Rocko

RMS Regular
Drives
Pure Soul
1637929334386.png

Am I reading that right? Book the 6th and fail = No MOT. Book 10th or later and fail = MOT to January?

Gambit

RMS Regular
View attachment 342571

Am I reading that right? Book the 6th and fail = No MOT. Book 10th or later and fail = MOT to January?

Does it not mean if you book a date (& pass) between 10th dec and 07th Jan /01/2022 will then be valid until 07/01/2023

if you do it before 10th you lose that, and therefore a date passed on 6th will only be valid until 06/12/2022

as far as im aware once you fail youve no MOT

ChrisR

RMS Regular
Drives
MK3 Leon 1.4tsi
Yep it’s to do with the carry over of the existing certificate as posted above.

You can carry up to 1 month “credit” on to the new certificate but if you MoT the car over a month before your expiry then the MOT is due 12 months later rather than 12months + the remaining days.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
If you fail MoT then you fail MoT. If it's a show-stopper fail then you can't even drive away from the test centre.

As above, think it's just about how long the new MoT will be valid for.

Rocko

RMS Regular
Drives
Pure Soul
If you fail MoT then you fail MoT. If it's a show-stopper fail then you can't even drive away from the test centre.

As above, think it's just about how long the new MoT will be valid for.

I think we covered a few pages back that failing before you're expiry date doesn't invalidate that existing time. @Coog knew more about it.

Edit:

1637941326794.png

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
The vehicle still has to be "road worthy". So you can drive away and fix "minor" issues.

But anything major that leaves the car not "road worthy" and you can't even drive away from the test centre. For example, no brakes or suspension, then you can't (legally) drive the car. And insurance won't be valid. Etc.

Doesn't even matter if the car technically has actually failed an MoT or not. If it's not "road worthy", for example no brakes or suspension, then you can't (legally) drive it. And insurance won't be valid. Etc.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Really? Which insurance company covers a car that is not road worthy but still driven on a public road? I don't know of any...

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Really? Which insurance company covers a car that is not road worthy but still driven on a public road? I don't know of any...

roadworthy and having an MOT certificate are not the same thing.

And what they will or will not cover is a very very grey area, although they'll try and wriggle out of a lot of things.

A light out could be deemed not road worthy...would insurance refuse to pay out for that vehicle ? You'd like to think so.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
I think we covered a few pages back that failing before you're expiry date doesn't invalidate that existing time. @Coog knew more about it.

Edit:

View attachment 342601

Yeah a fail does not invalidate the previous certificate. Unless it’s one of those DVSA roadside checks. That’s the only time I’ve heard of it happening.

Road worthiness and valid MoT status are two different things.

Insurance companies are held accountable to certain rules. They can’t just decline a claim because your xenon washer jet packed in 5 minutes before you had a crash.

Pumesta

RMS Regular
Drives
Focus_ST_3
Just book early so you're covered either way. Why wait for it to turn into a **** up ?

Mines not due until the 22nd February, just booked it for the 16th of February, surely it's not that had to be that organised

Irospective of anything they have to pay out any third party claim

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Mines not due until the 22nd February, just booked it for the 16th of February, surely it's not that had to be that organised

Irospective of anything they have to pay out any third party claim

I can only speak for myself but I’ve a lot on with work, my own business, kids, properties, etc. So booking a MOT 3 months in advance of its due date, contrary to the advice clearly given by the DVA (and what I’ve done for the past 20 odd years) isn’t on the radar. Not until the letter lands through the front door.

I can totally understand how some folk would end up running past their expiry date if they’re doing what they’re supposed to be doing and following the advice given.

In saying that I managed to get one a week ahead of the expiry by booking then looking for cancellations by sitting for an hour refreshing the screen, so it’s all good.

gixermark

RMS Regular
Drives
GT3, Jedi
I can only speak for myself but I’ve a lot on with work, my own business, kids, properties, etc. So booking a MOT 3 months in advance of its due date, contrary to the advice clearly given by the DVA (and what I’ve done for the past 20 odd years) isn’t on the radar. Not until the letter lands through the front door.

I can totally understand how some folk would end up running past their expiry date if they’re doing what they’re supposed to be doing and following the advice given.

In saying that I managed to get one a week ahead of the expiry by booking then looking for cancellations by sitting for an hour refreshing the screen, so it’s all good.

i agree....... historically i have always waited for the letter.......... yesterday, was getting couple of things looked at on wifey's car... and i asked her when MOT was due - she had no clue - but thought it woudl be around now...... i looked it up - expires 5th Dec.

went online immediately... earliest app i coudl get without going to enniskillen was 22nd Jan..

i then thought.. wonder when my truck is due.......... tapped it in, expires 3rd Dec !! i went online and got an appointment for tomorrow in lisburn.... so i gues its good that eth new system is fluid with cancelations etc. but its definitely hit am miss when you log on.

bigger thing for me is - how can two cars not get a reminder letter ? and how many people are driving about still thinking we are being given exemptions ? bit of a joke to be fair

Rover Repair

RMS Regular
Drives
Rover's!
Ive known of a few dealers who book the cars in for MOT in Scotland but they never get the boat over.....:monkey:

Not much trouble getting MOTs myself just a matter of updating constantly and most centres have an extra man so once everyone turns up in the morning extra dates are loaded on if he is spare.
Got a number. Asking for a friend.......

Robert

RMS Trader
Got the MOT reminder for my car in the post today, the current MOT expires tomorrow, like really? Is it any wonder the whole thing is a mess. I was holding out hoping it would be extended, but no joy, or else I would have been organised and had it booked well in advance. If the next readily available appointments are in 3 months time then the reminders should be sent out accordingly.