Wheel Balancing

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
I got my wheels refurbished a couple of weeks ago and when I got them back there was a serious wobble around 20-30mph. I then took them elsewhere to get balanced again just in case they weren’t done right initially, but now there is a wobble around 40mph.

Although I’ve had my fair share of wheels, I’ve never really given much thought to the balancing process as it’s something I just take for granted, but is it possible that 2 places can do it incorrectly? Or is it more likely there is a buckle or something else in 1 of them? I would’ve thought even if there was, they put weights on to compensate for this.

Is it worth taking them to a 3rd place?! What are the other options?!

RubberLover

RMS Regular
Has anything else change apart from just a respray? Standard bolts, no spacers or spigot rings etc?

You may need a Road Force wheel balance.

Here’s an explanation

We can do this but needs booked in advance

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
Sounds like it's buckled but you'd expect it to show up on the balancer with a ton of weights needed at least

Aye, thought that but there isn’t even a load of weights.

hippyross

RMS Regular
Has anything else change apart from just a respray? Standard bolts, no spacers or spigot rings etc?

Here’s an explanation

That looks like the dearest wheel balancer you could buy

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D

Here’s an explanation

Nothing else different!

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
1 of the fronts has a bulge in the tyre, so it’s out. I had considered trying the other 1 on each side to narrow down which of the current 2 is goosed. But will maybe try this fancy balancing first.

Boabybooster

RMS Regular
Drives
Skip
1 of the fronts has a bulge in the tyre, so it’s out. I had considered trying the other 1 on each side to narrow down which of the current 2 is goosed. But will maybe try this fancy balancing first.
If you want to rule out wheels you could always try mine. Just make sure you come back.

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
Are you sure it's your own wheels you got back from the refurb place and not another set that look the same?

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
Yup.

They were new to me prior to the refurb though, I’d never had them on my car.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Swap front to back ?

Correct spigot rings are fitted as needed ?

You say new....so are the tyres new and of good quality ?

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
Wider rears.

No spigot rings.

Second hand tyres (cane on the wheels), all seem sound with 5-6mm.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Paint on the rear mounting face of the wheel? You could balance them all day long and they'd still wobble.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.