Wheel Balancing

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
I took his second sentence to be independent from the first, but if not then yes I'll just sand the back face.

Eager

RMS Regular
Drives
broooooom
It could be a twist in a tire or something on the inside not visible, too.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
As I wobbled along the motorway this morning I told myself the good thing is that at the very worst it’s the wheels or tyres, so it can be easily sorted at least, once it’s narrowed down.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
1 Wheel is goosed. 2 others have a reading of 11kg (literally can’t get my head round it), so have to drive on them to see if they are causing the feeling too.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
Aye and luckily the 1 I brought with me is actually 100%, so it’s on instead.

Michael44

RMS Regular
Drives
Lancia
I
id be very surprised if a place refurbing wheels painted the mounting face of a wheel?!?!?

that aul Road Balance machine is good gear - got it done when @RubberLover fitted a set of tyres to the impreza
I would not be too surprised. I got a set done recently and the mounting face was painted and laquered.

Marc

RMS Moderator
Frig sake, just after a returb too! Should Michael not have noticed this?

I cant see how he would notice, it would only be noticed on something like the balancer that Ivan has used, most wheels spinning on a balancer machine have some run out on them.

And he would only have the wheels on the balancer after refitting the tyres again.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Any balancers I've used use cones on the inner surface, so even if there was paint on the face it wouldn't pick it up.

I'd assumed the wheels were tested before paint and therefore the only difference was paint. Sounds like that's not the case and that they're previously untested?

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
As Marc said, it’s only on this road force machine that it’s shown up there is an issue. The wheel isn’t buckled but has some sort of twist or structural defect that wouldn’t have been flagged on a normal balancing machine.

Anywho, just drove back to the office there and I am delighted to report that the wobbling has gone so the wheel in question was to blame. Massive thanks to @RubberLover at Ivan Kerr’s once more, fantastic service and very knowledgeable.

After a few days of thinking I wish I hadn’t sold the TTS, it’s great for this to be driving perfectly again.

80398B2D-5FE3-4077-AACA-4A88AE1FE921.jpeg

Is the bi-colour look likely to catch on?!

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
whats the plan now mate? any comeback on the seller?

This is the question! Just about to contact ebay this very second to discuss it with them. I bought a set originally which had 1 cracked wheel, then found a "good" single wheel. Its that 1 that has turned out to be at fault. I want ebay's advice first because I dont know where I'll stand given I had it painted in the interim.

pablo

RMS Moderator
yeah thats the stinker. you could argue that the refurb process damaged it. BUT worth a shot Id say

@PeteMoore has repaired a few wheels might be worth getting the cracked one fixed.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
Aye, thats what the seller is likely to say. Its certainly what I'd say! No harm in asking.

Personally I'm just not a fan of welded wheels.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
Hmm, as expected ebay said that the seller is entitled to reject a refund as the wheel has been "tampered with", and they'd likely only know that after I return it.

I opened a return case and diverted the truth a little, leaving out about the refurb and saying the twist was fixable! Even if I only get a token gesture, its better than being out the full cost of the wheel.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.