which amp?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

ossy2004

RMS Regular
Drives
R33 / V70
ive got a momo vibe amp which runs at 1200rms at 1ohm and 750rms at 2ohm,and a sub that is 1100rms at 2ohm i think:relieved:

im looking to purchase another amp with about another 300rms but dont no how many channel it will need or how many ohm's!!

im guessing i only need an amp that is one channel but how many ohm's....?

can anyone help?

thanks Joe(y)

-Pete-

RMS Regular
youre being pretty vague there, what do you need this other amp for? running a sub or a set of comps or what??

ossy2004

RMS Regular
OP
ossy2004
Drives
R33 / V70
sorry folks, im looking this amp to also run the sub along with the other one to get more sound! my amp cant hack the sub on its own at 2ohm, so wana get a back up for it so its all good and nothing is getting abused!

hope this makes things more clearer

-Pete-

RMS Regular
so youre hoping to put two amps onto a single sub!? if so this is a bad idea and not what you want to be trying.

yes it can be done but can get complicated and you would need the exact same amps before you even thought about doing it.

dont bother buying a second amp. if you need more power, sell your current amp and put the money you have with the money from the sale of your vibe amp and you should have enough for a good second hand amp that will put out plenty of power

a nice class d would be the way to go for you. plenty of power for not much cash

Peje

RMS Regular
Drives
GTI CS45
i have a great wee Alpine digital v12 amp for sale pushin out 338 RMS @2ohm (so said the Alpine test sheet).

The model is MRD-M300. Its a class D Monoblock, but as Mr Shaft says i dont think ur plan will work, cant run more power to one VC than the other-well you could but it'll end in disaster!!

Just outta curiosity is the sub single voice coil or dual? id guess with needin that much power she'll b dual.

Think what your thinkin of doin is wiring the amps together then onto the sub like u would 2 battery's to increase the voltage but afaik that just dont work

-Pete-

RMS Regular
Peje said:
i have a great wee Alpine digital v12 amp for sale pushin out 338 RMS @2ohm (so said the Alpine test sheet).

The model is MRD-M300. Its a class D Monoblock, but as Mr Shaft says i dont think ur plan will work, cant run more power to one VC than the other-well you could but it'll end in disaster!!

Just outta curiosity is the sub single voice coil or dual? id guess with needin that much power she'll b dual.

Think what your thinkin of doin is wiring the amps together then onto the sub like u would 2 battery's to increase the voltage but afaik that just dont work

it wont work unless the amps are the same and you have the skill/ability/equipment to gain match them to ensure each coil is getting the same power.

otherwise no you cant just add the wires from two different amps onto one speaker to try and get more power. it doesnt work like that at all.

a second battery also wont create more voltage (as in 12v plus 12=24) it just helps to stop the main car battery being drained and lights dimming etc

honestly your best option would be to sell your current amp and buy a new /second hand class d amp. they go for very reasonable money and can put out plenty of power for the cash!!(y)

daves106

RMS Regular
Drives
Mondeo ST220
i agree with joeshaft best bet is to sell that amp and get a new more powerful amp or 2 matching amps to power it

what exact sub is it

running more power to 1 coils and not the other is not a good idea i remember doing an spl run and one of the wires fell out of one of the coils 1000rms to one coil and not the other was down 5db lol

ossy2004

RMS Regular
OP
ossy2004
Drives
R33 / V70
peje-my current amp pushs out 750rms at 2ohm...alot more than that man lol thanks anyways!!

as for that idea, its out the window!! if its a 4ohm sub, what amp will be suitable? any one ideas as this is new to me kina...!!!???

Peje

RMS Regular
Drives
GTI CS45
joeshaft said:
a second battery also wont create more voltage (as in 12v plus 12=24) it just helps to stop the main car battery being drained and lights dimming etc

wot i meant was wiring two random batts in series Vt = v1 + v2, like he was wantin to add the amps powers together but u cant do that, shoulda made that clearer...apologies.

ossy2004 said:
as for that idea, its out the window!! if its a 4ohm sub, what amp will be suitable? any one ideas as this is new to me kina...!!!???

i reckon u've only got two options...change sub or change amp. Dunno what your sub is but that'd prob be what id change first since u've already got an amp with a pretty big power output so you will have no probs powering most of the subs on the market.

Pete

Peje

RMS Regular
Drives
GTI CS45
Give Audio Advice a ring, they're sellin 2 12" Diamond M6 subs on a 2 for the price of 1 deal afaik. 380 for the set iirc, and thats the price for one so its a great deal.

I have one in the clio and even without any setup whatsoever they can thump and its nice n tight.

028 38 336361

ossy2004

RMS Regular
OP
ossy2004
Drives
R33 / V70
thanks but i just bought bigpimps old set up which aint getting changed for a longgg time!! il change the amp before i change anything now!!

-Pete-

RMS Regular
well lets try and move things along and get a few answers-

well what sub are you looking to run? just one? how much are you willing to pay for an amp to run it??

Peje

RMS Regular
Drives
GTI CS45
big spl setup he's goin for then.

one of my mates fried an 12" audiobahn with one of the old v12 alpine analogue amps-think it was 1kW RMS and ran at 1ohm which i thought strange for alpine...y did i post that??? god only knows!!

what else you runnin ossy?

Pete

-Pete-

RMS Regular
with that sub your probably going to have to go big power with it to get the best out of it or if youre looking a lot of volume from it.

as said before i would definitely say since your not happy with the current vibe amp to go for a class d amp to provide plenty of power for it. class d power is cheaper than class a/b and more efficient (70% compared to 50% usually)

hutchy belfast had a cracking amp for sale here a awhile ago, a lovely hifonics amp that was seriously cheap for what it was.

sell your current amp and buy a big class d amp then with at the least 4 awg going straight in and out of it. then get a nice correct enclosure made for your sub, tuned for some nice spl/streetbass and youll be laughing, or booming in this case

-Pete-

RMS Regular
right theres an amp i know going for 330 pounds posted and it will have the power you could ever want! its in england though but its a viper class d amp , a 2500.1

you may not know the viper brand but theyre pretty darn good and theyre exactly the same as directed amps only in a different case and badged differently

1500 WRMS @4 OHM
and
2500 WRMS @2 OHM

thats more than enough for this or any sub.

let me know if youre interested.

james_04_ire

Drives
mk4 astra
just had a look at the sub there on teh net! your only running it at 4 ohm. but it can be wired up as 2 ohm. it needs to be wired up differently at the back! like the way mine is wired up! (not same model but ya get the idea)

daves106

RMS Regular
Drives
Mondeo ST220
he isnt running it at 4 ohm cause its impossible dual 4 ohm = 2 or 8

i would get that amp though it may physically be a bit big to fit in if you are trying to get it into an existing install i know my similarly powered one is a fair size

hutchy_belfast

RMS Regular
I have an amp for sale in the for sales section 1500W at 2 ohm 1800 at 1 ohm, probably a fair bit bore than that if you have a decent power supply too.

-Pete-

RMS Regular
hutchy_belfast said:
I have an amp for sale in the for sales section 1500W at 2 ohm 1800 at 1 ohm, probably a fair bit bore than that if you have a decent power supply too.

it wouldnt do very much more if at al as im pretty sure those figures would be quoted at a 14.4 volt power supply figure via bench testing.

but still plenty of power for what the fella needs! ;)

Peje

RMS Regular
Drives
GTI CS45
joeshaft said:
it wouldnt do very much more if at al as im pretty sure those figures would be quoted at a 14.4 volt power supply figure via bench testing.

but still plenty of power for what the fella needs! ;)

seconded, they wouldnt quote luch less than its gonna put out- like ferarri sayin the 0-60 time id say 10secs...wot would b the point

hutchy_belfast

RMS Regular
Peje said:
seconded, they wouldnt quote luch less than its gonna put out- like ferarri sayin the 0-60 time id say 10secs...wot would b the point
Lots of manufacturers quote rated power at just over half of actual output! Genesis probably the most known example.
The amp is rated at 600w at 4 ohm so if you were to follow the way most amps are marketed you would multiply that by 4 and arrive at 2.4 kW, its claimed 1.8kW to be conservative.

-Pete-

RMS Regular
hutchy_belfast said:
Lots of manufacturers quote rated power at just over half of actual output! Genesis probably the most known example.
The amp is rated at 600w at 4 ohm so if you were to follow the way most amps are marketed you would multiply that by 4 and arrive at 2.4 kW, its claimed 1.8kW to be conservative.

thats not how it works unfortunately for all us consumers. and very few manufacturers underrate their kit these days.more than ever they over rate their kit. the higher class of manufacturers like genesis, phoenix gold , dls, jl audio, they all rate their amps and power figures accurately . id say the figures they have quoted it will do(hifonics) are accurate but not over or underrated hutchy.

what size of fuse does the amp require? 80amp?120amp? id make an educated guess at an 80 amp fuse needed for it

the size of fuse is the best indicator of just how much power the amp can produce

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.