which amp?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

-Pete-

RMS Regular
hutchy_belfast said:
140A fuse, but regardless its plenty of power 99.9% of people

exactly! ;)

looks more like its going to put out about 1200 rms at 14.4 volts then

class a/b = up to 60% efficient
class d = up to 80% efficient

voltage x max current draw x efficiency

this isnt meant to shoot the amp down hutchy at all but it just shows that it can realistically put out this power. try the same calculation for the vibe amp the fella has and im sure it wouldnt come close despite its rating even at a class d efficiency level ;)

14.4 x 140 amp x 60% = 1209.6 watts rms (y)

hutchy_belfast

RMS Regular
awk this old chesnut. Im sure you know very well that, that calculation isn't even close to being accurate. For a start fuses are designed to run at twice there designated amperage for 10 seconds, how often do you run your amp flat out for 10 seconds? You could probably run the fuse at 150% of its rating indefinately.
My amp is class D however regardless, which using your formula would equate to 1612W.
To be honest I think you can only use this kind of thing to get a relative idea ie an amp with a 60amp fuse and one 100amp, its pretty obvious which one puts out more, especially if they are by the same manufacturer, thats really all that this is useful for.

-Pete-

RMS Regular
hutchy_belfast said:
awk this old chesnut. Im sure you know very well that, that calculation isn't even close to being accurate. For a start fuses are designed to run at twice there designated amperage for 10 seconds, how often do you run your amp flat out for 10 seconds? You could probably run the fuse at 150% of its rating indefinately.
My amp is class D however regardless, which using your formula would equate to 1612W.
To be honest I think you can only use this kind of thing to get a relative idea ie an amp with a 60amp fuse and one 100amp, its pretty obvious which one puts out more, especially if they are by the same manufacturer, thats really all that this is useful for.

i know i know, but it was only for an indication and thats all it was being used for ;)

and it looks even better then for being a class d

daves106

RMS Regular
Drives
Mondeo ST220
i think thats best for a general guide to spot amp makes spoofing their wattages

there is also the fact that an amp can also be more powerful for a small time using internal capacitors so more it is possible that an amp is more powerful that that calculation says

though it does tell me mine does 2764 lol

-Pete-

RMS Regular
as hutchy says it isnt 100%accurate but it is a good indication of power available but again its biased to show a high rating, best to use a more realistic 13.8 volts for the power figure

the fuse being able to take more though is not relevant either as its only a figure to say what the amp will do but this value is changeable down to powersupply voltage, gain, and load on the amp.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.