wht other alternative fuels are you using in your diesels?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Bibby

RMS Regular
OP
Bibby
Drives
Holden Omega Ute
bio fuel, well the first 2500 litres you make at home is tax free! anything after that you have to pay tax on

as for rocko, it's not a flamible process, home making, well all that your doing is adding the chemicals so that they mix with the veg oil, and make solid the stuff that is no good, which makes good fertaliser apparently

suckindiesel

RMS Regular
Drives
A6 Allroad
paying 98p for bio so I wont be going down the veg oil route! Did consider it. Oul Xantia runs grand on bio, bit of white smoke on start up, but runs 100% after that...

big cyril

RMS Regular
Methanol vapour is flammable (it changes state at around 60 centigrade), otherwise the process is not particularly dangerous.
Oh and the methoxide is caustic.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Does Bio Diesel wreck a PD engine?

Id fire it in the older DERVs not a problem but don't fancy firing it into the fancy pants PD incase it craps itself... effectively negating the few quid saved from using the bio stuff...

big cyril

RMS Regular
Proper biodiesel shouldn't harm any diesel engine but the manufacturers won't warranty it's use so if it goes wrong you're fixing it yourself.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Its 6 year old, doubt the manufacturer would be warranting anything anyway lol. Would just like to know what makes it so different from normal diesel apart from its origins and price.

Resintooth

RMS Regular
Drives
AP1 S2000
There's not a hope I'd put this into my car yet, not until alot more people had tried it out.

I've always though about red but i don't know weather it's worth the risk. I'm not about being caught because lets be serious how often do you see dipping being done. I've seen it once in 8 years of driving. It's the engine not liking it I'd be more worried about:mad:

CS

RMS Regular
I always though Red was Exactly the same as regular diesel but only with Dye added.

dee205

RMS Regular
I always though Red was Exactly the same as regular diesel but only with Dye added.

More or less. There's a lot of rubbish talk against it to basically scare people from using it. I'd be more worried about what condition the tank it came out of was as some places have old tanks that are full of crap but that can go for any fuel and not just red.

Bibby

RMS Regular
OP
Bibby
Drives
Holden Omega Ute
Biodiesel is biodegradable and non-toxic. 100% biodiesel is as biodegradable as sugar and less toxic than table salt. It biodegrades up-to four times faster than petroleum diesel fuel with up-to 98% biodegradation in three weeks. However, contrary to a popular misconception, it stores indefinitely in completely full, cool, dark containers. Compared to crappy fossil fuel diesel, biodiesel has the following emissions characteristics:

100% reduction of net carbon dioxide
100% reduction of sulphur dioxide
40-60% reduction of soot emissions
10-50% reduction of carbon monoxide
a reduction of all polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs) and specifically the reduction of the following carcinogenic PAHs:
phenanthren by 97%
benxofloroanthen by 56%
benz-a-pyrene by 71%
aldehydes and aromatic compounds by 13%
5-10% reduction of nitrous oxide depending on age and tuning of vehicle.
For every one ton of fossil fuel burnt, 3 tons of CO2 is released into the atmosphere, biodiesel only releases the CO2 that it has taken in while the plants it is made from were growing, therefore there is no negative impact on the carbon cycle.

i went into dunns today, veggieoil was 79p a litre, so bought 20 litres and bucked into the tank, car is driving well, just has a distinct smell off a bbq is following me everywhere i go, which i guess is an added bonus side effect!

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Where can I get Bio-Diesel at that decent price?

The place in Ards is very expensive IIRC, and not worth the hassle for 5p a litre saving, but at under a quid a litre I'd be prepared to try it...

Bibby

RMS Regular
OP
Bibby
Drives
Holden Omega Ute
just to revive an old topic and say ha ha ha to mr gordon brown!

Attachments

• 07062008003.jpg
    07062008003.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 59

Mark_C

RMS Regular
Bio is added to low sulphur diesel in order to imporive its lubricity

I did experiment with some veg and Bio blending for a while before I went heated

Bibby

RMS Regular
OP
Bibby
Drives
Holden Omega Ute
lol im just running pure straight veggie oilm, rape seed oil, peanut oil etc etc, what ever is cheapest per litre in which ever shop i go into!
i think that last batch of oil, well i had a 68p saving over diesel per litre!

Resintooth

RMS Regular
Drives
AP1 S2000
lol im just running pure straight veggie oilm, rape seed oil, peanut oil etc etc, what ever is cheapest per litre in which ever shop i go into!
i think that last batch of oil, well i had a 68p saving over diesel per litre!

So you just pour run of the mill veg oil into your tank? Nothing else and it drives fine?

Mark_C

RMS Regular
what injector pump does your car have? Even with a Bosch you cant run unheated 100% for too long - youll eventually not be able to start

Bibby

RMS Regular
OP
Bibby
Drives
Holden Omega Ute
to be honest i have not looked at the pump, the car starts 100 percent, has been running straight veggie oil now for 6 weeks with no addatives or other fuels! im also finding i dont have to heat the car to start, jump in turn the key, wind wind fire up!

Bibby

RMS Regular
OP
Bibby
Drives
Holden Omega Ute
yes just pouring vegie oil straight into the tank, in fairness i have added a few other bits and pieces, mainly used engine oil, tends to cough and splutter a bit on it
runs on 2 stroke oil and power steering oil grand
though doesnt like running on lucozade to much, there was me thinking it might make my tank last 33.33 percent longer!

Mark_C

RMS Regular
if its a lucas pump youve a few weeks left until it sh**s itself - youre getting OK starting now because of the weather. You might want to try thinning it down with a small amount of unleaded.

Get yourself a vow2 heater mate - and you will be able to run on SVO a lot more reliably. Also install a tigerloop when youre at it - air leaks are a balls - which you will be more susceptible to as the stuff is much harder to lift - a tiny air leak really stuffs it up.

OLLIeCrX

RMS Regular
Drives
C63 AMG
**** me this topics great.

my dads after any alternative he can find for his 03 vectra, but his main problem is reliability as he does 70k miles a year

keep her lit bibby!... thats why i couldnt get any oil for me chips :p

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.