WRC 2013 : All Chat Here

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Gaza_r

RMS Regular
Drives
Focus TDCI
To sum up the first day of WRC 2013 - the timing didn't work, but Loeb is in the lead.... well they THINK he is. They're not sure.

Oh and there is no coverage in the UK.

Good work Jean Todt

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
Loeb well out in the lead, Sordo doing good as expected and Eamon Boland 18th OA and what looks like second grpN/PWRC

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
apart from the balls up by the FIA - Rally Monte Carlo has been amazing so far. terrible shame it's not broadcast here at the minute, I'm sure the Red Bull people will get that sorted.

Loëb as good as ever but Citroen won't be so happy on the events he's not doing as there are several folk gunning for victory now.

Ogier has been brilliant so far, my tip for the championship. Jari-Matti will eventually find his way with the car. Polo R WRC is quite the machine :grinning:

Novikov will be Qatar M-Sport's best driver this year. really matured over the past 8-12months.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
That Polo does seem to shift well (y)

Still not sure what to think about Loeb doing a part season though. What is the point of that? Surely he will just take points away from other Citroen drivers on those events, yet still not get enough points to challenge for the championship?

WRC needs to get back on Freeview, at least an end-of-the-weekend round-up.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Fantastic news to see it back on Freeview! A highlights show is perfect for rallying really, so that is just fine.

Hope it is for the rest of the year too (y)

DEEJAY.B

RMS Regular
Drives
AUDI A4 Advant .
Robert Kubica has confirmed that he will return to action this season with an entry into the WRC2 category of the World RallyChampionship.

The former BMW and Lotus F1 driver will join the series in Portugal next month having agreed terms on a deal that will see him at the wheel of a new Citroen DS3 RRC.

Kubica's WRC2 programme will start after he makes his first appearance in the Citroen on the European Rally Championship event in the Canary Islands later this month, with the possibility of additional ERC outings later in the year.

The deal comes on the back of Kubica competing in a Citroen C4 WRC on two national events towards the end of the 2012 season.

“I weighed up the different options before deciding on this programme,” he said. “I kept in touch with CitroenRacing and both sides were keen to continue working together. I'm really pleased now to be able to return to top-level racing.

“Taking part in Rally Islas Canarias will be an interesting challenge for me. I can't wait to start racing, but I haven't set myself any specific target. I still have a lot to learn in rallying and to improve I will need to rack up the miles on the stages.”

Citroen Racing team principal Yves Matton said he was delighted to have Kubica signed up for the year ahead.

“I am especially pleased to have Robert Kubica as one of our drivers in 2013,” he said. “Thanks to the support of his partners, we are in the process of putting together a racing programme that will enable him to improve in a car that offers similar handling to a World Rally Car.

“Robert's determination is an example to us all and we are proud to associate Citroen Racing's image with such a resolutely positive individual.”

Kubica's car will be fitted with a specially-designed gearbox featuring a paddle on the left of the steering wheel, with the FIA having granted dispensation for the car to be fitted with the new part.

DEEJAY.B

RMS Regular
Drives
AUDI A4 Advant .
Hyundai reveals updated 2014 World Rally Car

By David Evans Tuesday, March 5th 2013, 10:59 GMT

1362482389.jpg

Hyundai Motorsport revealed its latest specification i20 WRC at the Geneva Motorshow on Tuesday.
This evolution of the original i20 WRC shown in Paris in September has been produced in collaboration between Hyundai's research and development operation in Namyang, Korea and the firm's recently opened motorsport facility in Alzenau, Germany.
Hyundai has committed to competing in next year's World Rally Championship and the i20 WRC will begin testing in the second half of this year.

Team principal Michel Nandan explained the changes to the new car were largely on the outside of the i20 WRC.
"This latest version of the i20 WRC has centred on aerodynamics with the objective of improving the car's cooling systems," he said.
"A new rear wing and front spoiler give the i20 WRC a new external appearance while, under the bodywork, improvements have also been made to the suspension kinematics and chassis stiffness as we gear up for a more structured test programme later in the year. We have lots of important foundations to lay both with the car and the team at Alzenau."
1362482420.jpg
He
AU1008258.jpg
admitted that building the team and Alzena facility while

simultaneously developing the car was a challenge.

"Building up a new motorsport facility from scratch is an ambitious and rewarding challenge," Nandan said.
"We have begun the recruitment process but already have a number of key people in place who bring with them a wealth of rally and motorsport experience.
"We are rapidly building up the team infrastructure and are pleased that everything is running to schedule."
Nandan warned that expectations for Hyundai should remain low at first.
"We are still in the infancy of our exciting WRC programme so the development curve for the car and team is steep," he underlined.

DEEJAY.B

RMS Regular
Drives
AUDI A4 Advant .
Volkswagen's Sebastien Ogier has won Rally Mexico to take his second win in succession following another dominant performance at the wheel of his Polo R WRC.

PAPHOTO4_477014.jpg

Ogier took the lead on Thursday night following the two short opening super specials, and while he came under early pressure from Qatar M-Sport WRT man, Mads Ostberg, and briefly lost the lead in SS4, he re-took the initiative in SS6 and then never looked back. Indeed he finished day one with a 33-second buffer and with Ostberg forced out on Saturday morning, he then found himself way out front.

The Frenchman eventually triumphed by over 3 minutes – despite a scare in the final proper test on day two, when he had to stop in Otates 2 and open a gate. The result strengthens his position at the top of the drivers' championship and with the top time in the Power Stage he again takes the maximum possible haul from the weekend.

Mikko Hirvonen meanwhile inherited the runners-up spot in his Citroen after electrical issues halted the fine run by Ostberg.

Thierry Neuville completed the podium - the first time the Belgian has got on the rostrum in the WRC - with Dani Sordo fourth, ahead of Nasser Al-Attiyah and Chris Atkinson, the latter battling back from problems on the first loop on day one that left him down in 15th place. Ken Block, Benito Guerra, Martin Prokop and Evgeny Novikov rounded out the points scorers .

cormac81

RMS Regular
Drives
GTI, VRS, Superb
It was a rare one for the Ogiers co driver to open the gate, has anyone got an idea on where to get the VW WRC merchandise?? cant see anything online.

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
VW merchandise hasn't been released yet. was also looking.

Paddy_R

RMS Regular
Currently watching the highlights of WRC Mexico on ITV4. All I can say is the WRC is dead, or at the very least on life support with a poor outlook.

cormac81

RMS Regular
Drives
GTI, VRS, Superb
Im just glad to see its back on tv with what likes good production(currently watching itv4 on +1) Last year was dire.

DEEJAY.B

RMS Regular
Drives
AUDI A4 Advant .
Just watched h/lights on the ITV i player which is
great cos u can watch it any time that suits u . . (y)

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Missed the highlights, never thought if the ITV player. Will have to check that tonight.

Was Loeb not out?

davecoupe

RMS Photographer
Drives
S14a/vRS/Jetta
Missed it and forgot about the player, class. Rumour has it ITV have the whole season deal now too and not just the first 3 rounds (y)

Now all it needs is some manufacturer intrest and we will be flying.

Reno_LV

RMS Photographer
Drives
Honda S2000
I always watch it on youtube anyway, but nice to see it on TV. All the diehard fans will follow it anyway, even just by going to the events. Nice to see Ogier getting what he deserves, pitty Loeb didn't just stay for another full season.

DEEJAY.B

RMS Regular
Drives
AUDI A4 Advant .
@ Sven , Loeb is only doing a handful of rallys this year ,
He is doing GT1 with his own team i think and assessing
Citreon,s efforts to go W,touring car racing in 2014 ,he
tested a DS3 version recently which didnt work at all on
a racetrack so Citreon are considering the C4 . .. . ^o)

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
because he's a rally god and can do as many rounds as he likes - picked his favourite events to do this year. what a life eh?!

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.