WRC 2023

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
Dave is just playing the game of bigging up the championship that he's involved in surely? Build the hype, get an audience interested etc. That's his job and he seems to be doing OK at it. šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø
He's bearable in commentary, and as he isn't a bad presenter.

But when it comes to almost all the driftganes videos, he's just turned into a complete sensationalist fake YouTube that might just about appeal to a 12 year old.

Their vlog became interesting when one of the juicebox (I think) lads went to the states with josh. Proper in depth genuine automotive knowledge which was brilliant and it was straight up with no bull****.

gpaevo

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi B9.5
But when it comes to almost all the driftganes videos, he's just turned into a complete sensationalist fake YouTube that might just about appeal to a 12 year old.
Like 99% of the pish on YouTube.

Just look at DDE as an example, click bait BS, scripted and full of šŸ’© but gets millions of views.

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Yeah, lots of YT is like that and he's just playing the game but agree, it's annoying at times. I guess it's a means to an end to bring attention to the drift events.

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
Boland out, too...

CONFIRMED
See notes from MJ below
Eamonn Boland and MJ will not start day two of Central European Rally
German police found issue with their Citreonā€™s paperwork when they crossed back into Germany after a day of ceremonial starts and stages in the Czech Republic
Three other crews are also effected by the police decision
MJ said: ā€œYou wonā€™t believe this, we got a new registration number and plates, in Germany through the organisers. Last night, the police stopped us on the border, not allowed drive in Germany, insurance problem. Not allowed even to drive the car back in to service. A trailer had to come from Passau to collect. Out of the rally! Other cars with that problem not allowed continue. Crazy, you couldnā€™t make it up.ā€

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Saw Colin Clark interviewing him next to it earlier, unfortunate as he seems to be in a bit of a spiral. I think he's a really good driver but his head really isn't in the game this year at all. 8-(

Reactions: DC.

DC.

RMS Regular
OP
DC.
Drives
VW Golf GTI
ā€¦and with Tanak arriving next year you would wonder what sort of program he will have?

Will he and Suninen share a car? Will one of them go to M-Sport?

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34
Only the brand spanking Rally 2 cars would be close to legal... In whatever country they are registered lol

As for the rest šŸ¤
Fingers crossed there remain some vaguely intelligent/ sensible psni ones to not create hassle over nothing about it!

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
Fingers crossed there remain some vaguely intelligent/ sensible psni ones to not create hassle over nothing about it!
All they care about is insurance, which afaik third party cover is provided for road sections via the event entry fee.

So it shouldn't be an issue.

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
BREAKING!!! - ERC just got very interesting...

Armstrong unveils ERC attack with M-Sport

Jon Armstrong is set to challenge for the 2024 European Rally Championship driving an M-Sport prepared Ford Fiesta Rally2. The programme continues Armstrongā€™s strong relationship with the Cumbrian rally team as he steps up from recent Rally3 successes.
The reigning ERC3 champion has teamed up with co-driver Eoin Treacy for the eight-round campaign. Their maiden championship in a Rally2 car will start on Aprilā€™s Rally Hungary.
ā€œIt is a dream come true to have the opportunity to complete a full year behind the wheel of a Rally2 car,ā€ commented Armstrong. ā€œWeā€™ve been working on this for numerous years and Iā€™m very grateful to M-Sport for the opportunity along with support from the Motorsport Ireland Rally Academy, Seacon UK, C&M Motorsport Sales, and all of my close partners.
ā€œIt is brilliant to be working closely with Eoin [Treacy] and the MI Academy this year and I am really proud to be representing the rallying community at home.
ā€œI am excited to collaborate with the other MI Academy members and to work towards our goals together.ā€
Last year brought Armstrong to ERCā€™s forefront after recording five dominant ERC3 victories in a row on a mix of gravel and asphalt events on his way to the category title. He made a sole Rally2 start on the Royal Rally of Scandinavia, once again exemplifying Armstrongā€™s talent and tenacity, helping him tie together this seasonā€™s campaign with M-Sport.
ā€œJonā€™s achievements in 2023 exemplify the talent and potential we strive to support at M-Sport,ā€ said M-Sport UK Chairman Malcolm Wilson. ā€œOur philosophy has always centred on identifying and nurturing young drivers, providing them with the platform to excel at the highest levels of rallying.
ā€œJonā€™s progression so far and this new chapter with us for the 2024 ERC is a testament to our tradition of fostering talent and ambition in the sport.ā€
Armstrongā€™s first overseas success came in the World Rally Championshipā€™s 2016 Drive DMACK Cup where he claimed victories on Rally Poland and Rally Catalunya in a Ford Fiesta R2T. The 29-year-oldā€™s Ford Fiesta R5 debut arrived a year later with two impressive WRC2 outings in Germany and Spain, including his first fastest WRC2 stage time.
Two years in Junior WRC from 2021 to 2022 gave Armstrong three event wins and 54 fastest stage times - missing out on the lucrative title on both occasions by the narrowest of margins.
Time in M-Sport Polandā€™s Ford Fiesta Rally4 and Rally3 cars was crucial in Armstrongā€™s progression on the world stage. To represent M-Sport at Rally2 level was always the ideal next step.
ā€œI have driven M-Sport-built cars in all but one season since I began rallying,ā€ explained Armstrong. ā€œM-Sport was 100% where I wanted to be.
ā€œFor Malcolm and Rich [Millener] to give me the opportunity to drive for M-Sport is a dream come true and I must give a special mention to M-Sport Poland and Maciek Woda who have been fundamental in supporting me in recent seasons.ā€
Now, Armstrongā€™s full focus is on the highly competitive European Rally Championship. He has already spent several days with M-Sport getting up to speed with the Ford Fiesta Rally2 having spent the last couple of years driving M-Sport Polandā€™s Rally3 variant.
ā€œERC is an intense challenge,ā€ described Armstrong, ā€œwith a very high standard in terms of drivers and lots of competition.
ā€œI see it as the ideal place to prove myself, the team, and the car.
ā€œEach rally has its own unique character and especially this season thereā€™s some new events that should keep everyone on their toes.ā€

Richard Millener, M-Sport WRC Team Principal:
ā€œI have known Jon for a long time now and I am really happy to see him in one of our cars competing at the top level of the sport.
ā€œI mentioned Jonā€™s name to Malcolm a number of years ago as one to watch, and to see him being given this chance makes me really happy.
ā€œJon really showed last year what he is capable of, and although the top category of the ERC will be a completely different scale challenge ā€“ I am sure him and Eoin will be able to deliver some strong results by using a sensible approach to each event.ā€

John Coyne, Patron of the Motorsport Ireland Rally Academy:
ā€œI have personally supported Jonā€™s rallying since 2020 and have been delighted with the progress he has made in applying his innate talent and developing his driving and event management skills.
ā€œI am pleased that he is now eligible for academy support and I am confident that our structured programmes, along with the backing of the M-Sport team, will help propel him to the next level of performance at the top tier of the ERC.
ā€œWith direct experience of Eoinā€™s capabilities in the co-driver seat, I know he will bring a further edge to Jonā€™s performance.
ā€œWith Josh McErlean and William Creighton in WRC2, Eamonn Kelly in Junior WRC, and now Jon at the top level in ERC, we are demonstrating that Ireland has an abundance of talented athletes, who can effectively compete on the world stage, given the right opportunities, guidance, and support.ā€

2024 European Rally Championship calendar:
R1 - Rally Hungary (Gravel) // 12-14 April
R2 - Rally Islas Canarias (Asphalt) // 02-04 May
R3 - Royal Rally of Scandinavia (Gravel) // 13-15 June
R4 - Rally Estonia (Gravel) // 05-07 July
R5 - Rally di Roma Capitale (Asphalt) // 26-28 July
R6 - Barum Czech Rally Zlin (Asphalt) // 16-18 August
R7 - Rali Ceredigion (Asphalt) // 30 Aug - 01 Sep
R8 - Rally Silesia (Asphalt) // 11-13 Oct

ARMSTRONG_M-SPORT_01.jpg

ARMSTRONG_M-SPORT_02.jpg

RallyCiaran

RMS Regular
Drives
Nova 1600 8v
This is fantastic news. Jon is the quickest of our local drivers.
I had been worried that he was never going to join the Motorsport Ireland Academy, and his career was going to fizzle out due to lack of funding.

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Good news, he's some pilot. Fair play to John Coyne for giving so much back to the sport, fantastic to see and I'm sure that's a big part of the potential WRC round in Ireland too.

AidanMcG

RMS Regular
Drives
6R
Brilliant for Jon and hopefully all goes well for him as he definitely deserves a shot on the international stage (and should've been a JWRC champion)

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Some of his times in the WRC3 car last year were amazing, definitely got speed.

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
I have said for years that the 'return on investment' has been worked out with a broken calculator, to the detriment of the chances. But here's a quote from a good friend, who has summarised it in more accurately than me.

"If someone claims that an event will bring ā‚¬100m into the local economy each year, but one of the most famous WRC events only brought in ā‚¬19m last year, and a nearby region with 10x the population of Ireland only brought in Ā£10m in 2019, then can you really blame someone from saying ā€˜we need to take a closer look at thisā€™?"