Write off queries- update further down

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Basically an old man crashed into my wifes car today while he was trying to park. There were no other cars in sight and he still managed to hit her.

Turns out the guy goes to our church and he is honestly in no fit state to drive, I was genuinely shocked that he still is.

My worry is that he is too old and unaware to be driving, the damage could easily have been far worse or it could have been a pedestrian he it.

I assume there's absolutely nothing anyone can do about him?

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
In the interests of safety, report him to the police, and perhaps the DVA suggesting his license is revoked.

You can bet that if you hit his car, the police wouldnt be long in bringing a prosecution.

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
Is he going to fix the damage? was he aware that he hit the car?

In the interest of health and safety, it would be the right thing to do if you think he is unfit to drive and let an authority make that decision through assessment but on the other hand, this could be his only mode of transport, he might just use the car to go to bingo or the likes where there are no buses etc...

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
Then he should get a computer and play online.

He admitted responsibility and my wife is getting a quote this afternoon, she's then going to call and let him know.

What's the process here though? If he wants to pay outside insurance then obviously happy days, but if not how does it work with his insurance? Does the car get fixed now and they pay, or how is it settled?

She informed her insurance this morning and as it's up for renewal this month they put it up 15% until the other insurance pays as at present they haven't.

I'm raging with the whole process.

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
Why are they putting it up if you are not putting it through your insurance?

Went I got a dunt in the A3, I phoned my insurance straight away but they said nothing about increasing the premium since it wasn't my fault.

_ZS_

Drives
Mondeo, i30, MF1
Yep, call your insurance and give them the details, they'll claim off his insurance. No farting about, and it keeps you all legal, etc.

Maybe when the old codger gets his renewal, he'll think twice and hang up the driving gloves.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
My wife only phoned to inform them, but because she's up for renewal this month they had to put it up as it's not yet settled.

Chris Mac

RMS Regular
Drives
MK8 GTi CS
When it comes too paying, ask the insurance company for a cash in leu settlement.

Make sure you get 3 or 4 quotes from bodyshops, say you want the cash in leu of repairs from the highest price. Then take it where you want it and save afew £ for yourselves.

formulaone

RMS Regular
you dont need to tell your insurance company. if he has admitted responsibility then do a direct claim from his insurance,, saves the hassle of your policy going up while you wait...

saxo_man

RMS Regular
You MUST tell you own insurance company even if it's just to report it. Whilst the claim is pending you will lose some of you NCBs! I'm in the middle of the process, so far it's been six months and it's not been resolved. My renewal is up, and as a result my insurance has increased by £600, that is over double last year. Not the same situation as you, and once your claim is settled you get a refund.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
Means I can't get them to match other lower quotes though.

Well, he's been informed of the quote and sadly he's going to phone his insurance to see whether to go through them or settle outside. I'm sure they'll tell him to go through them.

saxo_man

RMS Regular
Means I can't get them to match other lower quotes though

You can get other quotes, cos that's what I initially thought, but I was able to do so. How many no claims are you gonna drop to?

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
He's agreed to pay outside insurance so fingers crossed it gets sorted easily.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
but on the other hand, this could be his only mode of transport, he might just use the car to go to bingo or the likes where there are no buses etc...

So true. I have become a lot more tolerant to old people driving lately. Not getting any younger myself either, lol :p

Obviously if someone is really dangerous, then that is one thing. But a bump in the car park - I have seen "young" people run into both people and cars without even noticing.

My own parents are getting old and fragile, half blind and all. They use the car locally to the shops and bingo and whatnot.

They are very slow, not really safe any more, but have never caused an accident in their life.

With the car they can stay in the house, enjoy their gardening, etc. Have a life, plain and simple.

Without the car they would be straight into a care home, which is no life for anyone.

As for insurance, this is how the "system" works. The fact the guy happened to be old is neither here not there. It would be the same if it was a school girl hitting you. Your premium will go up until the claim is settled, which could take a year or more. And even if it goes in your favour, it may not come down to what it was.

yamaharaptorturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
yamaharaptorturb
In the interests of safety, report him to the police, and perhaps the DVA suggesting his license is revoked.

You can bet that if you hit his car, the police wouldnt be long in bringing a prosecution.

dont waste your time ringing the police, i rang ards police to tell them about a twice disqualified drink driver on a certain road that had a very serious incident on it. i told them when the driver would be on the road, all the car details. they were totally un-interested.
i rang 4 more times over a few weeks.

they actualy told me they were not going to follow it up. ever since then i have serious issues with police who pull me for extremely trivial things. disgusts me to the core.

backrower

RMS Regular
Drives
MK1 FR Leon
Get that off your chest cookie lol ;-) police are useless more happy to be hasslin us drivers for niggly things than catching perverts and drug dealers!!

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
dont waste your time ringing the police, i rang ards police to tell them about a twice disqualified drink driver on a certain road that had a very serious incident on it. i told them when the driver would be on the road, all the car details. they were totally un-interested.
i rang 4 more times over a few weeks.

they actualy told me they were not going to follow it up. ever since then i have serious issues with police who pull me for extremely trivial things. disgusts me to the core.

Dont worry, you dont need to tell me. I reported a drunk driver once myself, who drove over an island at a roundabout beside where I used to live one night.
A friend who was with me spoke to the cops later on that night, as he seen them when he was out walking his dog and asked about the incident.

Oh, its ok, when we got to the house, he was already in bed ( front door left open mind ). "He's one of ours" was the response.

Need we say more.

Sharkey

RMS Regular
Ac, dont take the poor old mans license from him.

How would you feel if i reported you to the psni for bumping into me.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
Ok, basically I don't need to worry about the above incident as someone has just written the car off on the Sydenham bypass.

What happens next? How long does it usually take for the other parties insurance to assess and conclude on the cars condition?

Will they offer Market value/above/below?

Can she refuse or negotiate a first offer?

What a complete nightmare and I'm not even in the country to help.

Cess

RMS Staff
Sorry to hear Ian. Hope all is ok.

I'd say you'll be at the mercy of the public holidays. Normally takes 2-3 days or thereabouts to get an assessor out and an offer will follow thereafter.

What they will offer is anyones guess. You are always warned that you will get "market value" (ie bottom book price) but it really is at the discretion of the assessor.

You can refuse or negotiate and you can ask for a reassessment. However, the second assessment/valuation could go down as well as it could go up.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.