X Tech Defender...

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Mark_C

RMS Regular
I
I picked those pictures because they show the concept, obviously that vehicle has more articulation than a standard.

I've no doubt portal axles would not be used because of cost, but I think they have their own limitations.

The landover is an allrounder and must be able to cruise at motorway speeds, haul trailers over mountain roads and go across rough terrain.

The portal axles are more complex and generate more heat than a standard hub, which is fine for slow vehicles (tractors and city buses), but when coming down the alps with a trailer on tow, there is a lot of heat generated from braking. Using a portal axle would add extra heat and lead to quicker brake fade.

Thinking about it, the portal axle may actually limit the axle articulation because the axle will be closer to the chassis.

Works well on unimogs, have a look at how much they flex in videos. awesome pieces of kit. Mate of mine has one one of the smaller ones. Like the ones the doe are using now

Gazzerone

RMS Regular
Unimogs are indeed an amazing vehicle & in the right hands pretty awesome & virtually unstoppable.

The fire Authority here should I believe now have a few locally, as after some of the flooding we had here over recent years, they didnt have any vehicle capable of wading into deeper water to rescue stranded motorists!

They came to our facility to put the new Unimog on trial, to see how it performed & as a 4x4 instructor at the centre, was fortunate enough to get a good play around in it & demonstrate its capabilities. Have to say I was pretty impressed!

image.jpg

The articulation shown in the picture a few posts ago can be gained by the use of various suspension modifications which are easy enough to do, however to get it, you'll find you won't have much change out of £3k!

Most standard set ups are more than adequate for everyday use, the only limiting factor on a Landrover is the height at the diffs. The only thing that can help with that is the size of wheels - bigger, taller wheels = more height, which means better clearance. However to fit the wheels & get clearance at the arches under full articulation usually means a lift kit being fitted too! The higher you go, then the more suspension bits need modified, eg castor correction arms, etc..

It's only my personal view here, a standard Landrover, fitted with a simple steering guard, a couple of diff guards & most importantly a decent set of mud terrain tyres, will really surprise you where it'll go, more so in the hands of an experienced driver!

Artoir

RMS Regular
Drives
V8/V6
Unimogs are indeed an amazing vehicle & in the right hands pretty awesome & virtually unstoppable.

The fire Authority here should I believe now have a few locally, as after some of the fooding we had here over recent years, they didnt have any vehicle capable of wading into deeper water to rescue stranded motorists!

They came to our facility to put the new Unimog on trial, to see how it performed & as a 4x4 instructor at the centre, was fortunate enough to get a good play around in it & demonstrate its capabilities. Have to say I was pretty impressed!

View attachment 41601

The articulation shown in the picture a few posts ago can be gained by the use of various suspension modification which are easy enough to do, however to you'll find you won't have much change out of £3k!

http://www.unimogs.co.uk/machinedetail.asp?searchstring=B1012

Big Andy

RMS Regular
Drives
Peugeot
Any chance of getting a picture and your thoughts on the light bar and the led lights at the rear? I would love a defender but id never fit in one.

This looks the daddy of jeeps

mcma1

RMS Regular
OP
mcma1
Drives
A Bull
Haven't seen mind for a week as its been in hursts have a little warranty work done....

All new power steering
All new doors lock which had seized
Respray of the rear cross member
Replace rear nas step due to rust
Replace rear door glass

davey-dimples

RMS Regular
Drives
E90 330D
Haven't seen mind for a week as its been in hursts have a little warranty work done....

All new power steering
All new doors lock which had seized
Respray of the rear cross member
Replace rear nas step due to rust
Replace rear door glass

that doesnt sound good :confounded:

IL

RMS Regular
Drives
981 GTS
What do they say about your modifications? I'm nervous about modding my RRS because of warranty.

collyirwin11

RMS Regular
Drives
RS/Mk2 GTi
Love this big barge. Looks fantastic. Do you still have your c63 AMG? Or am i thinking of someone else?

mcma1

RMS Regular
OP
mcma1
Drives
A Bull
What do they say about your modifications? I'm nervous about modding my RRS because of warranty.

If I am honest they have been pretty useless, lots of red tape. If something goes wrong and any mod is close by they will say no. I had to remove my wheels and steering damper before they would fix the power steering.

mcma1

RMS Regular
OP
mcma1
Drives
A Bull
Love this big barge. Looks fantastic. Do you still have your c63 AMG? Or am i thinking of someone else?

Yes still have the C63, have really done much to it, had the black series map loaded so its over 500bhp, the wife isn't really jumping for the defender keys so I hardly get a chance to drive it!

collyirwin11

RMS Regular
Drives
RS/Mk2 GTi
Yes still have the C63, have really done much to it, had the black series map loaded so its over 500bhp, the wife isn't really jumping for the defender keys so I hardly get a chance to drive it!

Dont blame her, the defender is as manly a vehicle there is haha. But those mercs just sound fantastic, there are 2 around near where i live, and ive had the pleasure of cruising behind 1 on several occassions, that low rumble is just phenomenal! Im sure its great having the option of the two at the weekends etc.

mcma1

RMS Regular
OP
mcma1
Drives
A Bull
Still torturing myself with this defender.... Decided to remove the solid bulkhead between the front and back and replace with the bar kit. Seems simple but the instructions suggest you remove the roof and sides! We just made some changes. Then cut the rear tub up and added some puma rear seat panels to lower the rear seats to the normal height. Then lots of new carpet, dynamat. Then brand new heated recaros but cross sportsters with tip up base to get at the battery and fuse box. Next is panoramic side glass, and some focal speakers and sub from the guys at audio advice, hopefully then I will leave it alone!

Taking everything out.
null_zps26aeb4b5.jpg

null_zps103ad6fd.jpg

Bulkhead cut.
null_zps479c1c5a.jpg

Rear tub cut.
null_zps12eeaa8b.jpg

New rear tub panels.
null_zps9160977c.jpg

Test fit bar and new panels.
null_zps985ff4da.jpg

Dynamat the back and fit trims and carpet
null_zpse8b53159.jpg

null_zpsabda2005.jpg

null_zps720fda59.jpg

Then move to the front.
null_zpsc6eb208e.jpg

Finally done. Better for running everyone around now. Just waiting for the glass to arrive and then will be getting the 4 seats and some other bits re trimmed.

null_zps6b17a7ef.jpg

Mark_D

RMS Regular
Drives
Defender 90 XS
Good work. What did you decide on for glass?

If you are throwing any bits out, let me know which dump you use.:laughing:

mcma1

RMS Regular
OP
mcma1
Drives
A Bull
Just going with the Masai side panels. The side sliders just get filled up with crap. At least with the panel glass it will still look more like a hardtop, plus its a bit different.

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
Just going with the Masai side panels. The side sliders just get filled up with crap. At least with the panel glass it will still look more like a hardtop, plus its a bit different.

Seen a couple of glass side ones at the Autosport show a couple years ago and they looked class, and far fresher/newer looking than the sliding windows

Mark_D

RMS Regular
Drives
Defender 90 XS
Look forward to seeing the Pictures.
The side sliding windows break my heart every time I wash the car, they seem to store around a gallon of water and weep it out every time you turn your back.

pheunos

RMS Regular
Looking great. Does the Dynamat make much difference? I have a box sitting to go into my 110.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.