X Tech Defender...

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Rob

RMS Regular
Drives
Amarok V6
That makes me feel better, I thought for a moment I had the Disco stuck last night and felt like a complete nurp!

mcma1

RMS Regular
OP
mcma1
Drives
A Bull
Decision time....'keep her lit' said the co pilot!

C234C5C5-8CFE-40D1-A7AE-24F9E9C7C4F6-926-00000138991E78CF_zpsacc4ec7a.jpg

9F95836B-D45D-46F9-83ED-B3EFF3E77874-926-0000013899E1E1C6_zpsa2a5b17b.jpg

5D3339FE-97C2-410A-9431-66F5D5678DD2-926-00000138A0DE839B_zpsfc63c6ce.jpg

A3A36DE8-075C-4FA7-8489-99267E99DD00-926-0000013C7B2774F1_zps31d02b69.jpg

Problem was finding something to winch too... Had to to go the full 30m off cable to find a decent spot.

mcma1

RMS Regular
OP
mcma1
Drives
A Bull
That makes me feel better, I thought for a moment I had the Disco stuck last night and felt like a complete nurp!

Worst feeling ever, guy in a John Deere said just turn around, took me an hour to get out, mate was more or less dressed for the beach and couldn't feel his hands he learnt a hard lesson! But the important bit was we didn't turn around!

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Don't let Coog and fellow LR haters see this!

lol I'm not a hater... I'll probably own one one day... just need Pheunos to convince me :p

Wouldn't see me out in that without a back-up vehicle no matter what I was driving though! It's pretty crazy out there. Very easy to get stuck and royally shafted!

Big Pimp

RMS Trader
Drives
like im late
I know mate - pride comes before a fall, eh?

It's like my first ever foray into snow driving.......
On 20" summer tyres. Getting up was easy enough, coming down was straight pooing my pants stuff - never again!

That's why I can't wait to get my XJ on the road - if I stack it ill not worry too much

mcma1

RMS Regular
OP
mcma1
Drives
A Bull
The laugh is the tractor stopped, plus we had passed a lot worse. Low gear steady went well, then hit a silly loose drift and the back just sank in and the front had no traction. Winch around the nearest decent point, 3 hedge stumps later, dusty snow tracks put down, on we go. In theory the kit on it should get me through it and it did so money well spent. Thankfully at low speed snow can't cause too much cosmetic damage though!!

tbdevpaul

RMS Regular
Drives
Hundeye
I always found My MT tyres to be much much better in snow that any AT tyre I have experienced yet

Anto84

RMS Regular
your defender looks awesome in the snow!

I've been very lucky so far,
been taking all the worst roads to avoid traffic on AT tyres! Now I've said this probably won't be so lucky LOL

mcma1

RMS Regular
OP
mcma1
Drives
A Bull
Making some good progress with the Defender, Now has the Alive tuning stg 4 package,Exhaust, Decat, Intercooler, Turbo, Hoses and filter, Koni Heavy track shocks, just waiting for the new map and module to load. Fitted the JW speaker TW3000 and Rigid Industries light bar, Wheels got a fresh coat of Satin Black. Auto spark getting stuck in next week with the dual battery setup.

Mark_D

RMS Regular
Drives
Defender 90 XS
Making some good progress with the Defender, Now has the Alive tuning stg 4 package,Exhaust, Decat, Intercooler, Turbo, Hoses and filter, Koni Heavy track shocks, just waiting for the new map and module to load. Fitted the JW speaker TW3000 and Rigid Industries light bar, Wheels got a fresh coat of Satin Black. Auto spark getting stuck in next week with the dual battery setup.

What's the insurance like for all the mods?
I'll be getting a defender in the near future and I'm worried about insurance when I inevitably start bolting bits on.

mcma1

RMS Regular
OP
mcma1
Drives
A Bull
The winch is the most tricky mod to insure, they automatically assume you are going mad every weekend. Very reasonable for everything else but probably best to use a local company who you can actually speak to over a desk.

Mark_D

RMS Regular
Drives
Defender 90 XS
The winch is the most tricky mod to insure, they automatically assume you are going mad every weekend. Very reasonable for everything else but probably best to use a local company who you can actually speak to over a desk.
Thanks for the advice. That's very surprising about the winch. I'll drop you a pm for recommendations once I find the right wagon.

Keep up the good work.

Mark_C

RMS Regular
Tell me this, I've often wondered this about these - they seem to have decent ground clearance except the rear diff housing looks like it would bottom out as soon as a normal car would - does it ever?

tbdevpaul

RMS Regular
Drives
Hundeye
When's it going off road to get a few battle scars and dented panels ? Test all the kit you have bolted on ! It's gotta be done sometime

Seen an ambulance land rover getting rescued by a tractor today after it failed to start in a field lol

mcma1

RMS Regular
OP
mcma1
Drives
A Bull
Tell me this, I've often wondered this about these - they seem to have decent ground clearance except the rear diff housing looks like it would bottom out as soon as a normal car would - does it ever?

It's never caught me out, and although it may look all clean and shiny today, most of the time it's pulling things about the sites.

Mark_D

RMS Regular
Drives
Defender 90 XS
Landrovers philosophy has always been based around axle articulation to keep the wheels on the ground to cross uneven terrain. Having solid axles means the strength and reliability of the drivetrain isn't compromised with UJs needed for independent suspension.
Seems to work well...

uploadfromtaptalk1367128118634.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1367128137248.jpg

mcma1

RMS Regular
OP
mcma1
Drives
A Bull
What's the lights like? Both the JW ones and the led light bar

Both are great, the Speakers are driving beam pattern and come on with main beam, or can be switched with the led bar. Must get a few night shots.

Mark_C

RMS Regular
Landrovers philosophy has always been based around axle articulation to keep the wheels on the ground to cross uneven terrain. Having solid aIxes means the strength and reliability of the drivetrain isn't compromised with UJs needed for independent suspension.
Seems to work well...

View attachment 41592View attachment 41593

Does a normal unmodified vehicle do that? Good job if it does

Surely portal axles are still better though? Like unimog etc, keep everything out the way

1976_Mercedes_Benz_UNIMOG_Doka_Rear_Axle_1.jpg

Big Pimp

RMS Trader
Drives
like im late
Both are great, the Speakers are driving beam pattern and come on with main beam, or can be switched with the led bar. Must get a few night shots.
Would the led bar be enough for a lorry or are the big spots still better?

mcma1

RMS Regular
OP
mcma1
Drives
A Bull
I think a row of spots is hard to beat for the cost..I wanted my lights below the roof rack with less space. However the larger led bars do perform well, some of the larger laser ones aren't even road legal!

Mark_D

RMS Regular
Drives
Defender 90 XS
Does a normal unmodified vehicle do that? Good job if it does

Surely portal axles are still better though? Like unimog etc, keep everything out the way

1976_Mercedes_Benz_UNIMOG_Doka_Rear_Axle_1.jpg

I picked those pictures because they show the concept, obviously that vehicle has more articulation than a standard.

I've no doubt portal axles would not be used because of cost, but I think they have their own limitations.

The landover is an allrounder and must be able to cruise at motorway speeds, haul trailers over mountain roads and go across rough terrain.

The portal axles are more complex and generate more heat than a standard hub, which is fine for slow vehicles (tractors and city buses), but when coming down the alps with a trailer on tow, there is a lot of heat generated from braking. Using a portal axle would add extra heat and lead to quicker brake fade.

Thinking about it, the portal axle may actually limit the axle articulation because the axle will be closer to the chassis.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.