Yanks Coming to NI in August

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

kuri77

RMS Regular
Drives
2016 HD Sportste
Hi All,
Figured the best way to learn more about NI as far as bikes go would be to join your forum. My daughter and I have rented 2 Honda 600 Hornets for 5 wks starting end of July. We're renting in London, taking the ferry to Rosslare from Fishguard and then it's up in the air. We don't do hotel reservations so we're not held to a schedule. My initial thought is to go around Ireland heading west then up the west coast to NI and then ferry across from Belfast to Stranraer and back to London. Weather will be a big factor so having no reservations will be a plus.
Open to all and any advice about what you NI guys think we should see of your country especially as related to motorcycles. If you have any spectacular roads that only locals know about would be very interested in those. We're both big on food so any local dishes that you can recommend are welcome. I'm a big fan of darker beers such as Newcastle Brown and Guiness but I'm sure you guys have some local beers you'd like to have me taste?

Dusty

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda CR-V
Welcome, the motoGP in being held in Silverstone at the end of August if you're interested. Some nice riding through Wales.

Local dishes, ulster fry which you'll encounter at some point. Ireland probably better able to provide some homebrew cider as opposed to dark beer but Guinness is everywhere and the closer you get to Dublin, the better it tastes I'm told.

Plenty of rides available, August weather is usually bike friendly too and if you're in the area you'll be able to find and ride the Tandragee, Cookstown and NorthWest 200 road race circuits. I'm sure more people will be along shortly with more options.

andy9eleven

RMS Regular
Drives
All broken
Welcome along!!

As mentioned, Wild Atlantic Way as it's known is definitely worth researching. Lots of good stuff online about it. Some more info here Wild Atlantic Way Official Travel Site | Discover things to see and do

I've only down a round island road trip once, but the best places I remember were, on the south coast Kinsale, cute wee village just outside of Cork, then round the Wild Atlantic Way zone, like the Cliffs of Moher, and see some dolphins in Dingle Bay. Westport I thought was a nice wee town to stop over at, then you've got the beaches of Donegal, and the rally stages, and the you are round into North Coast of Northern Ireland (Derry across to Ballycastle I guess if you're looking at a map) for more stunning scenery, Game of Thrones tours (Ballintoy etc) and down into Belfast.

The only thing about doing Rosslare and round to Belfast and back to the mainland is that you're missing out on Dublin. I'd be more inclined to get a run up to North Wales to Hoyhead and get the ferry across to Dublin, spend a day/night in Dublin, then head straight for Cork/Kinsale direction and on from there.

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
Don't underestimate how long it takes to travel a distance in Ireland compared to USA. A lot of the scenic roads are pretty slow and twisty up the west coast, but there are faster roads between the main cities if you need to make up time. The midlands of Ireland are pretty flat and dull (in my opinion). I'd say same as above....Dublin, Kinsale, Clonakilty for the best black pudding in the world, Cork (English Market for food) and head north up the West coast, right up to Donegal. Then just over the border from Donegal, next stop is Derry/Londonderry. It's very popular with American tourists. A really convenient, compact city with very rich history and culture and some great places to eat. There's a good microbrewery at Walled City Brewery. Then head across the North Coast, Bushmills distillery, Giant's causeway and the follow the coast road to Larne. This road is generally considered the best scenic biking road in the country.

I honestly think the food in Northern Ireland is generally way better for the money than England. And we have garlic fries, soda bread, potato bread and Ulster fry.

The Ulster Grand Prix 6-12 Aug is the fastest motorcycle race in the world. (average lap speed 133mph) It's "real" road racing on closed public roads.

Big Pimp

RMS Trader
Drives
like im late
welcome along to RMS.

whilst not a biker myself, i'm sure you'll have a blast over here touring the island!

kuri77

RMS Regular
OP
kuri77
Drives
2016 HD Sportste
A lot of good suggestions thanks, will be reading up on them all. On initial research I found very little in the north (NI and Ireland) compared to the south and west. Is that what you guys think in general? I'm talking about scenery and geological wonders more than cities. My daughter is 26 so she'll enjoy the English Market in Cork, Trinity College, Grafton Street in Dublin, Shop Street in Galway but aside from those 4 we'll be spending little time in towns other than if we have to pass through them.
Here's a list of what we hope to see but if you see something is missing that you think we should put on the list please mention it.

cupraricky

RMS Regular
A lot of good suggestions thanks, will be reading up on them all. On initial research I found very little in the north (NI and Ireland) compared to the south and west. Is that what you guys think in general? I'm talking about scenery and geological wonders more than cities. My daughter is 26 so she'll enjoy the English Market in Cork, Trinity College, Grafton Street in Dublin, Shop Street in Galway but aside from those 4 we'll be spending little time in towns other than if we have to pass through them.
Here's a list of what we hope to see but if you see something is missing that you think we should put on the list please mention it.

When your doing the mournes go via spelga dam, excellent roads. Didnt see cliffs of moher on the list? Dark hedges??

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Giants causeway ?

Whilst I've travelled little of it, I was down at Loop Head last year delivering some stuff to one of the filming sites for Star Wars, there were some impressive geological stuff down there. But I'd guess a lot of the west coast of Ireland could well be like that. Beautiful place....most of the country is though.
And often the locals, ie all of us rarely travel it all ! lol

Home | Loop Head

there are Facebook pages etc for the Wild Atlantic Way too that would open up ideas too.

Loop Head

kuri77

RMS Regular
OP
kuri77
Drives
2016 HD Sportste
Welcome, the motoGP in being held in Silverstone at the end of August if you're interested. Some nice riding through Wales.Local dishes, ulster fry which you'll encounter at some point. Ireland probably better able to provide some homebrew cider as opposed to dark beer but Guinness is everywhere and the closer you get to Dublin, the better it tastes I'm told.Plenty of rides available, August weather is usually bike friendly too and if you're in the area you'll be able to find and ride the Tandragee, Cookstown and NorthWest 200 road race circuits. I'm sure more people will be along shortly with more options.
Thanks for the info Dusty. Daughter has no interest in mc racing so probably wont be doing that. But if I get you correctly those 3 circuits are available to ride when the races aren't on? We would sure like that. Do you really mean cider brewed at home by locals or is that a cultural beer option? If we get to Dublin will test out the taste theory you mentioned.

kuri77

RMS Regular
OP
kuri77
Drives
2016 HD Sportste

Dusty

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda CR-V
Thanks for the info Dusty. Daughter has no interest in mc racing so probably wont be doing that. But if I get you correctly those 3 circuits are available to ride when the races aren't on? We would sure like that. Do you really mean cider brewed at home by locals or is that a cultural beer option? If we get to Dublin will test out the taste theory you mentioned.
The circuits I mentioned are actually local roads, you'll be able to download the maps easily enough and they are there for riding but obviously they won't be closed to other traffic.

Plenty of local ciders available in the shops, there are craft beers too but mostly aren't as nice in my opinion.

kuri77

RMS Regular
OP
kuri77
Drives
2016 HD Sportste
"The only thing about doing Rosslare and round to Belfast and back to the mainland is that you're missing out on Dublin. I'd be more inclined to get a run up to North Wales to Hoyhead and get the ferry across to Dublin, spend a day/night in Dublin, then head straight for Cork/Kinsale direction and on from there."
You may be right andy888, we'll think about that depending on ferry schedules. Thanks for the tip.

kuri77

RMS Regular
OP
kuri77
Drives
2016 HD Sportste
"There's a good microbrewery at Walled City Brewery. Then head across the North Coast, Bushmills distillery, Giant's causeway and the follow the coast road to Larne. This road is generally considered the best scenic biking road in the country.I honestly think the food in Northern Ireland is generally way better for the money than England. And we have garlic fries, soda bread, potato bread and Ulster fry."
Gonna try to taste all of those thanks apis.

kuri77

RMS Regular
OP
kuri77
Drives
2016 HD Sportste

Dublin, Kinsale, Clonakilty for the best black pudding in the world
You have to go to Stornoway for the best black pudding!!
Thanks for that guys but doesnt sound like I'd like that from the ingredients I've heard. My daughter will be all over it I bet. Hopefully you guys have spotted **** though which was my favorite dessert growing up in an English household. Never liked your custard on top though, it was always Lyle's Golden Syrup for me

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
"The only thing about doing Rosslare and round to Belfast and back to the mainland is that you're missing out on Dublin. I'd be more inclined to get a run up to North Wales to Hoyhead and get the ferry across to Dublin, spend a day/night in Dublin, then head straight for Cork/Kinsale direction and on from there."
You may be right andy888, we'll think about that depending on ferry schedules. Thanks for the tip.

I wouldnt be too worried about ferries. There are multiple crossings daily so even if you didnt book in advance, the chances of there being a problem just arriving and paying at the gate is very very slim.

Certainly from Northern Ireland to Scotland ( and visa versa ) there is a crossing almost every 4 hours. 2 actually...one from Belfast and another from Larne.

Even the Ireland to Wales routes, or Liverpool there are multiple ferry operators going to the same destinations. So plenty of options.

kuri77

RMS Regular
OP
kuri77
Drives
2016 HD Sportste
Glad I checked out those 3 race circuit locations Dusty. Looks like the NW200 is not off our route and is the biggest and best, so I'm sure we can take a ride around that. Never done that before.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.