Yanks Coming to NI in August

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Creaney

RMS Regular
Drives
what a great holiday you've planned. I'm embarrassed to say i haven't seen the half of the things on your list, and i live here.

must get the bike out and go for it this summer!

Reactions: BLS

kuri77

RMS Regular
OP
kuri77
Drives
2016 HD Sportste
Penfold, thanks for the offer. Will post here when we leave and leave our phone numbers in case someone wants to ride a piece with us or whatever.
Creaney, thanks for the positive remarks, hopefully we can ride together and discover something new about Ireland for all of us

kuri77

RMS Regular
OP
kuri77
Drives
2016 HD Sportste
Dusty, thanks for cave info but we usually avoid them. Too long away from the bikes and the gear which we can't monitor for quite awhile and cave parking lots are usually empty because everyone is on the tour. However, if secure parking becomes available we'll reconsider. Bear in mind I come from the land of the "if it isn't tied down it's fair game"

cupraricky

RMS Regular
Dusty, thanks for cave info but we usually avoid them. Too long away from the bikes and the gear which we can't monitor for quite awhile and cave parking lots are usually empty because everyone is on the tour. However, if secure parking becomes available we'll reconsider. Bear in mind I come from the land of the "if it isn't tied down it's fair game"

You could probably asked the receptionist to keep it behind the counter for you.

kuri77

RMS Regular
OP
kuri77
Drives
2016 HD Sportste
Dusty-lots of great places on the list thanks, will add a number of them to the route. Wasn't so much the gear which we could lug along if necessary (since we're traveling very light with only a backpack each) but the rental bikes. Guess we're on the hook for quite a sum if they get nicked even with trip insurance. I know, paranoid, but you get that way in big cities over here. In Sturgis, the big rally in South Dakota, I read of a less than 30 second bike theft plan that is almost foolproof. Guys have had their bikes stolen by a guy pulling a low flatbed trailer. Pulls up next to the bike pushes it over on to the trailer and drives off.

kuri77

RMS Regular
OP
kuri77
Drives
2016 HD Sportste
Well been a month since last post here and am twiddling my thumbs waiting for July. Bought my 2 daughters Honda Rebel 500s last week. They are awesome bikes, smooth, goodlooking (critical with daughters) and lots of power. So breaking them in is keeping me busy a little. You guys have them there yet? Other parts of my time are spent looking at the daily international temperatures in the newspaper and wondering when winter is gonna end over your way. 75-80 here this week and I'm looking at 50s for Dublin and rain almost every day. I know it's spring and you need the rain to make Ireland as beautiful as everyone knows it is but it's a little depressing waiting for it to warm up a bit there. May have to bring a snowmobile suit if it doesn't improve^o)

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
This isnt California...so dont expect sunny warm weather !! lol We might get a handful of days...but almost none as warm as you'd be used to.

kuri77

RMS Regular
OP
kuri77
Drives
2016 HD Sportste
Well we know it won't be 80 but cold and dry is definitely ok. Worried about daughter with little rain experience plus first time for her riding on the left. I also know it won't be lower than 50 in the day by the time summer rolls around so staying mostly dry would be my preference.

cupraricky

RMS Regular
Well we know it won't be 80 but cold and dry is definitely ok. Worried about daughter with little rain experience plus first time for her riding on the left. I also know it won't be lower than 50 in the day by the time summer rolls around so staying mostly dry would be my preference.

Dunno if it's beneficial, but sometimes a piece of white fabric tied on the right hand side of the handle bars to remind her where the centre white line should be. Know a few people who use that trick

kuri77

RMS Regular
OP
kuri77
Drives
2016 HD Sportste
Thanks for the tip cupraricky. My other daughter adapted to NZ roads with no problem. I think it's much easier to adapt with a bike than a car especially if you're like me and ride near the center line.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
A lot of roads can be narrow here and down south, especially some rural or coastal routes you might take, so be careful about staying too close to the centre of the road in case someone in a much larger vehicle is taking up a lot of the road coming the other way.

But do bring good wet gear or at least be ready for it. You just never now what to expect sometimes

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Just to be cautious of the roads if you arent familiar with them. Some can be narrow and bumpy ! Always good scenery though

kuri77

RMS Regular
OP
kuri77
Drives
2016 HD Sportste
Thanks for the warning but after riding abroad I'm usually pretty cautious and when I'm with my daughters supercautious. Hopefully will have our Sena radios going for the trip so I can radio her about any problems up ahead.

kuri77

RMS Regular
OP
kuri77
Drives
2016 HD Sportste
Finally the big day tomorrow. Arriving Wed, 3 or 4 days at relatives in Kent and then heading for the ferry. Man, I'm glad we have no reservations because my weather report for Ireland says rain every day for the next 2 weeks. If that really happens and it's a drizzle no big deal but if it's thunderstorms and buckets full of rain guess we'll be heading to France sooner than later. Second daughter is flying in on the 11th for 10 days. She'll meet us either in Dublin or west coast of England. First daughter's girl friend will take over on the 21st til the end of the trip. Looking forward to meeting some of you soon.

Brennan

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW
If you get time sir, check out Healy Pass in County Cork/Kerry, it's a 7 mile ribbon of tarmac that runs through the mountains with some of the most amazing hairpin bends you'll ever see, much like the ribbon roads you'll see in Eastern Europe. The views are simply spectacular. It literally is one of the greatest driving roads in Ireland.

You will have incredible fun on your bike on this road

6qqGjS.jpg

VBcYYi.jpg

Penfold

RMS Member
Drives
Z750
Finally the big day tomorrow. Arriving Wed, 3 or 4 days at relatives in Kent and then heading for the ferry. Man, I'm glad we have no reservations because my weather report for Ireland says rain every day for the next 2 weeks. If that really happens and it's a drizzle no big deal but if it's thunderstorms and buckets full of rain guess we'll be heading to France sooner than later. Second daughter is flying in on the 11th for 10 days. She'll meet us either in Dublin or west coast of England. First daughter's girl friend will take over on the 21st til the end of the trip. Looking forward to meeting some of you soon.

That's some forecast Kuri ! Wouldn't worry too much bud, even our local forecasters manage to get it wrong. In fact some of them couldn't tell you what the weather was like ten minutes ago. Been hot here in the north the last few days. We're expecting a bit of rain in the next few days but I'm sure it'll clear up.

Antoin

RMS Regular
Drives
E60 535d
The drive/ ride in around the Killary Fjord in Mayo is great as well and isn't far off the Wild Atlantic Way Route and Westport, Co Mayo is a great wee town to stop in if you need to stay the night.

Some cracking roads in Ireland altogether, enjoy the trip.

We really are spoilt of choice on this Island!!!!

Dusty

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda CR-V

That will change on a daily basis, I don't think you'll see anything torrential :grinning:

kuri77

RMS Regular
OP
kuri77
Drives
2016 HD Sportste
If you get time sir, check out Healy Pass in County Cork/Kerry, it's a 7 mile ribbon of tarmac that runs through the mountains with some of the most amazing hairpin bends you'll ever see, much like the ribbon roads you'll see in Eastern Europe. The views are simply spectacular. It literally is one of the greatest driving roads in Ireland.

You will have incredible fun on your bike on this road

6qqGjS.jpg

VBcYYi.jpg
Wow, now that's a road I want to be on
Thanks for the info and pics Brennan

kuri77

RMS Regular
OP
kuri77
Drives
2016 HD Sportste
That's some forecast Kuri ! Wouldn't worry too much bud, even our local forecasters manage to get it wrong. In fact some of them couldn't tell you what the weather was like ten minutes ago. Been hot here in the north the last few days. We're expecting a bit of rain in the next few days but I'm sure it'll clear up.
Good to hear some optimism Penfold thanks

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.