Z3M Coupe

Chris tii

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW 2002tii
Recently bought a Z3M Coupe with my dad. The cars a bit of a lemon. Though we knew it was a lemon but it was too much of a bargain to turn down. Theres a long list of issues with the car but the main one is the dreaded rear subframe failure.
I'm 90% sure my cars got it. I can't see any failed spot welds on the boot floor and when on the ramp, you can't see any cracks. Though its hard to see properly unless you take the diff off. The reason I think its got the issue is the creaking noise coming from the rear. I've watched a couple of youtube videos of cars with the issue and the noise is identical to mine.
So can anyone recommend a garage that has experience with fixing this issue? I'm guessing some of the e46 M3 guys might have had this issue in the past and had it fixed? Don't really want to take it to BMW as it will have that dealership premium.

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
Awesome cars, I used to have a Sapphire Black S54 Z3MC, the only car I kick myself for selling.

Jonny at AI Autosport I think has done various E46 M3's, so worth giving him a shout, also speak to a few bodyshops and ask if they've done any, as it's actually a pretty straight forward repair, it's just labour intesive with all the stripping and building back up.

Get some pics up!

Chris tii

RMS Regular
OP
Chris tii
Drives
BMW 2002tii
Ok thanks, I've sent him a message on facebook. I'll share some photo's of the car in a bit.

Mines a 2000 S50 Silver. Black S54's go for big money now, I'm sure it stings thinking about your old one.

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
Ok thanks, I've sent him a message on facebook. I'll share some photo's of the car in a bit.

Mines a 2000 S50 Silver. Black S54's go for big money now, I'm sure it stings thinking about your old one.

They look great in silver, especially with the wheels done shadow chrome as per the S54 models.

Looking forward to seeing updates on this thread. :grinning:

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
@Sailorbaz did a bit of a restoration on a Roadster too. Just in case he came across any of the same issues.

Looking forward to seeing some photos (y).

Chris tii

RMS Regular
OP
Chris tii
Drives
BMW 2002tii
Plan to give it a full respray once all the technical gremlins are fixed.

IMG_9778.JPG
IMG_9780.JPG
IMG_9784.JPG
IMG_9786.JPG
IMG_9789.JPG
IMG_9791.JPG
IMG_9793.JPG
IMG_9805.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

e90318

RMS Regular
Drives
650i
The z3m is my dream car but doubt it will happen with the way prices are goinglooking forward to seeing the progress

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
I love these, was very fortunate enough to drive a couple regularly way back when they were almost new, would have one tomorrow but prices have gone mental on them

Chris tii

RMS Regular
OP
Chris tii
Drives
BMW 2002tii
Plan to take it up to Bavarian on Saturday for the BMW NI end of season meet. Just hope a good drive doesn't make the creaking any worse.

Attachments

• IMG_9873.PNG
    IMG_9873.PNG
    270.1 KB · Views: 220

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
Plan to take it up to Bavarian on Saturday for the BMW NI end of season meet. Just hope a good drive doesn't make the creaking any worse.

Never worry about the creaking, it'll get sorted soon enough when you book it in somewhere, it's not going to come apart! Drive it and enjoy it, it's great to see one that's been properly used and enjoyed, rather than a garage queen!

Must pop over to Portrush on Saturday to see all the BM's when they arrive.

AlpineF30

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M3
Is that the motor with the Nurburgring sticker near the gearstick?

If so I commented on your facebook post a few weeks back on it asking where you on here.

Awesome car, i’ve subscribed to this thread to see the updates

Chris tii

RMS Regular
OP
Chris tii
Drives
BMW 2002tii
It's got an AC Schitzer short shifter fitted as well. I'm not a fan. Going back to the original shifter is high up on the list.

Attachments

• IMG_9772.JPG
    IMG_9772.JPG
    103.6 KB · Views: 258

Neil_M

RMS Regular
Hi Chris,

I remember this being posted up on NI BMW's facebook page.

Absolutely lovely car. As @Woodcutter says Jonny @ AI should be able to sort the subframe or at least inspect it. I use him for anything I can't do on the E36, highly recommended.

I should be there on Saturday too, would love a nosy round it.

It may also be worth befriending a few parts guys while you are in Bavarian :cool:.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
I’ve seen that photo before on here, I think the car might’ve been mentioned when for sale maybe?

Fantastic looking Motor, so aggressive.

Chris tii

RMS Regular
OP
Chris tii
Drives
BMW 2002tii
Say hello on Saturday and I'll be happy to show you around. The cars rough, but has loads of potential to be a show stopper! I ordered a load of stuff today from Bavarian and they gave me 10% discount. Is that the usual amount or can you haggle for more?

I've had a couple of messages from AI Motorsports saying he's done a few M3's subframes. Sent him a link about the issue and asked if he fancied having a go at doing the work, haven't heard back yet.
There is a reinforcment kit available in America that involves changing the diff cover to a double eared E36 cover. Its ment to be great but involves an estimated 32 hours to fit.

Neil_M

RMS Regular
Say hello on Saturday and I'll be happy to show you around. The cars rough, but has loads of potential to be a show stopper! I ordered a load of stuff today from Bavarian and they gave me 10% discount. Is that the usual amount or can you haggle for more?

I've had a couple of messages from AI Motorsports saying he's done a few M3's subframes. Sent him a link about the issue and asked if he fancied having a go at doing the work, haven't heard back yet.
There is a reinforcment kit available in America that involves changing the diff cover to a double eared E36 cover. Its ment to be great but involves an estimated 32 hours to fit.

No worries Chris I sure will. I'll be down in an Estoril E36 Saloon.

Probably to be found feeding my face :yum

Any discount is worth while and you can never have too much :p

Gaz

This space available for rent
Drives
M4 Comp Pack
Awesome cars. I even wrote a short article on them for RMS :p

BMW Z3M Coupe - RMS Motoring

Was actually sniffing round a silver one 3 days ago and think asides from Estoril, it's probably the best colour in them. They have incredible road presence.

Look forward to reading more about this one (y)

Chris tii

RMS Regular
OP
Chris tii
Drives
BMW 2002tii
Awesome cars. I even wrote a short article on them for RMS :p

BMW Z3M Coupe - RMS Motoring

Was actually sniffing round a silver one 3 days ago and think asides from Estoril, it's probably the best colour in them. They have incredible road presence.

Look forward to reading more about this one (y)

Great write up! Clearly I'm not the only fan of these cars. Really looking forward to giving it all the TLC it deserves and getting back to its best.