Biking, is it a death wish?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Hel

RMS Regular
Those forks... Had a seat on one at the Bike Show and they feel very homely too. Not a 'Blade replacement though.

Had a look there too. 65k AED for the kwak regd and on the road. 70 for Honda and 85 for BMW but know a guy at dealership might be able to do it for 70 too.

Kwak winning at this point. I fear r1 too small for me and recall woes...

Attachments

• Snapchat-1295395798467048118.jpg
    Snapchat-1295395798467048118.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 139

puzzlement13

RMS Regular
Anyone have an Aprilia rs125? I'd say riding one of those for a while would really teach you how to ride (and maintain) a bike well.
Yup!
I have a 97 one, the upkeep is good in the summer months, winter not so much! Mines been stashed away for a good few months now. Bought a 1989 cg yesterday to make into a cafe racer, only for the ease of use and maintain - also the build will be fun!
Keeping the Aprilia for the better days!
I take it you have one, enjoying it?
IMAG0341.jpg

IMAG2265.jpg

That's the cg, rs and passat!

renman8957

RMS Regular
Drives
Megane RS250
@puzzlement13 if the Reg on the CG125 is OXI thats my old bike, if it is I suggest changing the fork oil, one has racing fork oil, the other old milk by the looks of what came out of the other haha

Hel

RMS Regular
Went a hike today. Some bike they are! Anyone any experience of Kevlar jeans?

Attachments

• Snapchat-3374987753706365971.jpg
    Snapchat-3374987753706365971.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 113

Sharkman

RMS Regular
Drives
Stick
I have a pair of kevlar cargo trousers they are grand thankfully havent had to test them out, fitment is the same as ordinary jeans.

mike150

RMS Regular
Drives
Around
I've had Draggin and now Kyrano, the Kyrano are great, made in UK and nice people to deal with, they make whatever size you want. They are a division of Hood jeans. Mine have the D30 flexible armour.

The Draggin where Silverback and they are good too but very long on the leg, they do need to longer to account for the sports bike riding position but not as long as they are.

WWW.kyrano-uk.com

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
I have Redroute jeans in black cargo style with Kevlar. They are very comfortable for me and I wear Hein Gerike hiprotec armour in them; the rubber flexible stuff. I've even worn them on a 12 hour flight, economy seat and I'm 6'2"! Thankfully I don't know if they are any good in a slide.
Great for looking "normal" on a run to the shops but no use in the rain.

Dave..

RMS Regular
any recommendations for a textile armoured trouser?
I used to have a pair of Shoei armoured trousers, I never tested them but a mate did and they protected him.
I think I bought them in Hein Gerick on the Boucher road.

Mabb

RMS Regular
Drives
MT10 X5
What happened?

Rookie mistake! New tyres on my supermoto and too much lean...slid down the road in a pair of brand new £120 jeans...got up looking like a rag doll..they were ripped to shreds.

When I got up I was more worried about ruining my new jeans than the scrapes all over me and the blood running out of the cuts on my elbows.. :sob:

Dave..

RMS Regular
Rookie mistake! New tyres on my supermoto and too much lean...slid down the road in a pair of brand new £120 jeans...got up looking like a rag doll..they were ripped to shreds.

When I got up I was more worried about ruining my new jeans than the scrapes all over me and the blood running out of the cuts on my elbows.. :sob:

Bike and gear come first then check out own body.....

Mabb

RMS Regular
Drives
MT10 X5
Bike and gear come first then check out own body.....

For sure!

Thankfully the bike was good, I had a lot of crash protection on it and I fairness she had already seen a fair bit of action...

I got lucky though, the bike slid down the road a fair bit and went straight into the front of a car damaging the bumper..the wee dear driving was more concerned about me than the damage. I gave her my number to pay for fixing it and never heard a thing.

geraldo-46

RMS Regular
Drives
Gsxr1000
What a load ballix

Life is a death trap ffs

it's a phrase used by armchair know it alls, and the health and safety brigade.

We live in a world now where you can do **** all without some p***k telling you its wrong or dangerous. School kids cant even play conkers and the primary school our kids goes to don't teach them how to swim due to health and safety. conkers and swimming must be death wishes aswell

Do what ever makes you happy

Rant lol

Dusty

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda CR-V
Right, I haven't read the whole thread but to answer the original question, yes and no, they are a deathtrap and they're not.

Sportsbikes, probably more so. They're so easy to go VERY fast on it's mind boggling, I mean, 0-60 in 3.5 seconds is Hypercar territory, whereas it's now pretty standard for a supersport 600 motorbike.
160mph? No bother to a bike and doesn't take long to get there either if you've got the space.

I worked in a bike shop, I took a call once from a girl who's boyfriend had been killed that previous weekend. She knew he had ordered bike stuff and didn't know where but was trying to cancel the orders.
I sold a helmet to a guy and two weeks later he was killed on the bike, saw it on the news.
I watched a guy take a brand new ZX10 out at ten in the morning and phoned for it to be lifted, or rather the pieces of it, by 3 in the afternoon.
I spoke with a man whose hip had been crushed when he slid into the diesel tank on a lorry. His consultant dropped a crunchie bar on the floor, stood on it and said that's what your hip looks like.
The amount of times we got a call from someone who'd been in the shop that afternoon and then had a spill on the way home was untrackable. A lot of that was silly things like brake levers, indicators, footpegs and panels etc.

The flip side of that all is I spoke to people who'd been on cross european tours without a hitch, guys who've been riding for years and the worst they had was a fall getting off the thing in their driveways. Sportsbike riders and chopper/cruiser types too. The thrill and feeling of it is hard to match doing anything else, most bikers will tell you that the risk is massive but worth it.

bottom line, it's down to you how much of a risk you take, how fast you choose to go. If you're sensible, they're safe as anything else.

I don't have one, I do have a full licence though, I have ridden them and yes I'd have one tomorrow if I had the cash spare.

Hel

RMS Regular
For sure!

Thankfully the bike was good, I had a lot of crash protection on it and I fairness she had already seen a fair bit of action...

I got lucky though, the bike slid down the road a fair bit and went straight into the front of a car damaging the bumper..the wee dear driving was more concerned about me than the damage. I gave her my number to pay for fixing it and never heard a thing.

Feck sake Balfour you alright

mayweather

RMS Regular
Drives
M3 Evolution
Lets put it this way, my father does track days regulary but never takes the bikes on the road because its too dangerous and that says it all really.

When I turned 17 I wanted to go for the bike liscence, I was sat down by my parents and told if I got a bike I would have to find somewhere else to live and they were serious.

This was coming from a man who personally owned over 250 motorbikes at a point. Theres been a lot of heartache and suffering through motorbike riding, ive seen the shells of old bikes lying in the shed from some of my dads lost friends and it is scary when you see it.

Mabb

RMS Regular
Drives
MT10 X5
Lets put it this way, my father does track days regulary but never takes the bikes on the road because its too dangerous and that says it all really.

When I turned 17 I wanted to go for the bike liscence, I was sat down by my parents and told if I got a bike I would have to find somewhere else to live and they were serious.

This was coming from a man who personally owned over 250 motorbikes at a point. Theres been a lot of heartache and suffering through motorbike riding, ive seen the shells of old bikes lying in the shed from some of my dads lost friends and it is scary when you see it.

I was told I wasn't allowed a bike...so I went and bought a Kawaski zxr750 when I was 21 and rode her home. What could they do I already had and they didn't throw me out...21 years later still riding. Roads, tracks, motox, supermoto, touring, wheeling etc wouldn't (couldn't) do without the buzz and comraderie.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.