F1 2016

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Shaun

RMS Regular
Just reading some of the changes for next season. Wider tyres, front and rear wings wider and more max fuel. Beckett's corner at Silverstone is usually 105mph they predict it will now be 135mph

Just hope it brings some closer racing!

adam1942

RMS Regular
Drives
2015 F56
@Shaun The thing is the wings dont help for closer race I think I saw it will be worse because the air will be disrupted further than it is now.

Also the max fuel thing is a joke - currently they dont use a full tank - they short fill based on the % of a safety car or based on the drivers lifting and coasting as its faster to do that than it is to go flat out throughout the race?

I hope you are right but I dont see it changing anything but the look of the car.. hopefully I'm wrong though.

impact

RMS Regular
Drives
GT86
They need to leave things alone if they want closer racing. It suits the big teams to have constant changes, they have the money to fire at optimising it. Just when the smaller teams are closing the gap in performance the goal posts change again.

adam1942

RMS Regular
Drives
2015 F56
I think even if they fixed the wings so that you could race closer people would close in the corners and Mercedes gap wouldn't be as apparent. Sure the top 3 or 4 may run away from the rest of the field but at least we'd have two major battles per race..

Shaun

RMS Regular
Thing is, these changes were suggested by and agreed between the teams so hopefully it will be a good change. The front wing change means the cars behind are less affected by the turbulent air from the car in front so hope that helps.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
Time will tell. Don't hold your breath :grinning:

At least they will be substantially faster and quicker, remains to be seen if the racing gets any better.

A shake up of the rules might be the only way to shake Merc. Then again, the new rules are all built around getting more from the engines, so maybe works better for Merc after all...

surprising_skoda

RMS Regular
Drives
Skoda/BMW/Austin
Yep, half a second up on your team mate in the same car, job done, lol :grinning:

Looks like it could be a bit one-sided tomorrow, lined up by team and performance on the grid...
Yep, job done, did some quality moves turning that half second pole into... second place.
Putting in a quick lap is worthless if you're just going to dump the clutch all over the show and lose 5 places in 300 yds.

Pissed myself laughing at rosberg and vettel talking in german, calling lewis a sulky ****er, just shows what they really think of him, ultimate snub in my book.riciardos pass was unreal
Missed that. Would like to see it.

Nico I think fancies a wee job at ferrari soon. Talking up the tifosi, telling Lee mckenzie he speaks Italian and all his best friends are from Italy...

Real shame imo for Massa to retire ignomisniously. Would really like to see him scoring another win before departing. And thought Button wouldn't be ready to give up yet. Was there not talk of him finding his way back to Williams?

jimcupra

RMS Regular
Less Aero more mechanical grip is what's needed. F1 is a pile of steaming sheite now and has been in decline for years. I feel I was lucky enough to follow it from the 70s. Having been to many races over the years the noise and excitement was just amazing. From the real turbo era to the screaming v10s and even the v8s, the ground shook as they passed. Now they have no noise are slower on tyres that may as well be ditch finders, push them and your off. That's not racing, **** the budgets this is the pinnacle of motorsport. Let's see what the smart engineers can give these guys and let them race flat out. Tyres they can push hard on lap after lap, refuelling so the cars are as light as possible. More off season and in season testing to get the cars as fast as possible.
In the Schumacher era yes Ferrari were up to everything mostly dodgy to say the least but it made great racing. The atmosphere at those races was something else, the tifosi are passionate a sea of red cheering on their cars. Senna win at all costs attitude and **** the consequences. That's what made modern f1 which has been diluted with corporate ballix.
Last thing what the absolute **** is Alonso doing still at mclaren they are now a has been team fighting for scraps. He is the best (imo) driver on the grid he shouldn't be fighting in the mid field.
How to fix it I have no idea get rid of Bernie for a start, share the money better so teams get more to run with.
Make engines simpler who cares if it has batteries. let's see 1000hp 500kg cars going flat out from start to finish. Maybe then f1 will get the fans back and the people watching on tv. I loved every f1 race I have been to from the British in 76 seeing the great hunt the shunt, to senna destroying everyone in the rain at spa or Schumacher gong flat out through eau rouge in a screaming v10 Ferrari. If I went now I would feel cheated out of my money and time. I watched the highlights of yesterday race even that was boring.

pablo

RMS Moderator
Fwiw Hamilton's start was not his fault. Their clutch system seems to be unpredictable.

He said it was a mistake then the team said nope it wasn't.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
Has been their one weak point all season, both Lewis and Nico have been caught out more than once.

Ferrari on the other hand have had some terrific starts. Especially earlier in the year when Vettel jumped or nearly jumped the Mercs off the line. And again at Monza.

Gambit

RMS Regular
good pic showing the comparison of the current & new tyre sizes

upload_2016-9-7_15-13-57.png

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
The Singapore race does look amazing. Boring race though. Same as Monaco - spectacular setting, and then a long procession to the end with almost no overtaking other than if someone crashes out. Still deciding if I should bother watching tomorrow or just check the result, lol :grinning:

I see Nico is in top with Lewis only third.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.