1995 E34 BMW 525i Sport

cauld1

RMS Regular
OP
cauld1
Drives
BMW E34
Car looks great, I love the schnitzers!
Stance aside, what’s bags like to live with? Would you consider them an upgrade to the original suspension for ride quality ?
Honestly? Yes, massively improved on standard. Even before spherical bearing in the upper control arms, E31 lower control arms and polybushes everywhere else, it was a lot better than standard imo.ive adjustable damping and the maintenance is very low, simply drain the tank the odd time to get rid of moisture build up. Over near 8 years I've never found a lot of moisture has built up anyways.

They aren't 'sports cars' but can still be made to handle nicely.

My Mk5 golf gti daily is now on coils and to get it looking even slightly close to how I'm happy with it is making me seriously consider air on my MK2 golf 😂. Driving height on the Mk5 is like this atm (which tbh is ok but a bit bumpy).
PXL_20230803_205039337.jpg

Steve750

RMS Regular
Drives
750i
Honestly? Yes, massively improved on standard. Even before spherical bearing in the upper control arms, E31 lower control arms and polybushes everywhere else, it was a lot better than standard imo.ive adjustable damping and the maintenance is very low, simply drain the tank the odd time to get rid of moisture build up. Over near 8 years I've never found a lot of moisture has built up anyways.

They aren't 'sports cars' but can still be made to handle nicely.

My Mk5 golf gti daily is now on coils and to get it looking even slightly close to how I'm happy with it is making me seriously consider air on my MK2 golf 😂. Driving height on the Mk5 is like this atm (which tbh is ok but a bit bumpy).
View attachment 407190
That’s cool. 750 has hydraulic rear shocks and they are £1300 each. Usually by this stage they are either knackered or close to it so I was thinking of air but without being mad low.

L30H

Drives
E34
How well do these LHD Acs mirrors fit? Are the view and angle decent in an Rhd E34?
Thank you very much, that's great to hear!

I think because I've had it for so long like this I've got used to it and almost numb to it!

Cheers Tufty, trying to do similar with my MK2 golf but much more tricky to do something not done before same as with this!

Nope, it's just set in 😂

Really pleased to take home a top 40.
View attachment 393160
I think this is my favourite trophy I've won so far, just so cool!
View attachment 393161
What's the view and mirror angle like in the E34 with LHD mirrors?

cauld1

RMS Regular
OP
cauld1
Drives
BMW E34
What a fun couple of weeks the past few have been getting this ready for MOT to get over to Edinburgh last weekend for cleanfest.

Whilst away at Rollhard the air system started to feck about, not lifting the rear properly and the compressor not seeming to do much. That meant that the wallet got a pasting and a new management system and compressor were bought. Easily fitted and has made a big difference.

Went for Airlift 3P. Messy photo of the install as it sits. Will be adding a 2nd compressor and doing a tidy up over winter.
PXL_20230905_165655200.jpg

There's a few other things I want to do with the boot at the same time whilst keeping functionality for luggage etc.

The 2 air leader lines on the front struts were looking worse for wear also so put new ones on. Must say that @Blackline have been invaluable for getting bits for this quickly.

Other things for MOT were a spanner check and clean up. All this really did was highlight bits I want to work on over winter in fairness, as it's getting a bit rougher than Id like in places. But passed with no advisories so can't complain!

Got to Cleanfest and got onto a podium right at the top end of the main hall. Found it funny to be parked beside a MK2 golf with 3.2 vr6 in it and a candy white Mk5 golf GTi as I've a candy white Mk5 as a daily and also building a 3.2 vr6 mk2n
PXL_20230910_154939323.jpg

Was very happy to come home with a top 10 award. A really nice touch at this show was a free bag of Megiuars products on arrival (not pictured but similar to the below) as well as the usual bag with the award.
PXL_20230910_154250974.jpg

Next up, Deutsch Collective in Scarva and then to get at the to do list:

- engine rebuild or replacement with something else.
- boot build ish type thing.
- bits of paint to be fixed.
- bits of interior to be retrimmed, headlining, pillar trims, parcel shelf.
- bigger rear brakes.
- either rebuild steering box or source M5 version.

cauld1

RMS Regular
OP
cauld1
Drives
BMW E34
S54 timeeeeeee

It would be perfect lol
Seriously considering it as I've one sitting here. Issue is it's in an E46 M3 which is going under the knife to fix it 😂

Could borrow the S54, and then source another one for the E34 to keep the original one in the M3.

Other options are to either rebuild the M50 and keep it fairly standard but useable, turbo the M50 (too messy in the bay imo), or build a Frankenstein mix of M50 and M54b30.......or 3.2 vr6 😂

cauld1

RMS Regular
OP
cauld1
Drives
BMW E34
Still think a V8 would be the job.
If I was starting with a factory V8 E34, an E39 M5 or E92 M3 engine would be a strong consideration, but the E46 M3 engine should just bolt in on the standard engine mounts.

The most complex part is wiring which frightens me a bit tbh, but even at that there are plug and play looms available for these engines into the E34.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
E46 M3 engine would suit the car perfectly. No need to touch or mess with the engine, and reasonably good fit without faffing about too much.

cauld1

RMS Regular
OP
cauld1
Drives
BMW E34
I'm convincing myself on it, by all accounts the 525 is a fairly handy base for it. Will just need to source another engine for the M3 if I do it 😂

cauld1

RMS Regular
OP
cauld1
Drives
BMW E34
Another busy month passed.

First up was a photo shoot for a show in Armagh next year. Foolishly I didn't get any photos but was an interesting line up, joined by a 996 turbo, a classic mini, a classic mini woody traveller and a Jaguar xk120.

I was then asked if I could loan the car out the week after for a video shoot for an advert. Never done that before so was happy to help. It was for the Auto Finesse Halloween release.

Was interesting seeing the sheer amount of work that goes into it. Was good craic albeit a long evening!

Screenshot_20231013-234130.png

The following day was Titanic Dubs. The venue is much better than it has ever been imo and was a good day out.
FB_IMG_1696718644071.jpg

FB_IMG_1696718625894.jpg

Took home a top 10 from that.

Now time for a teardown and rebuild. I've some bits gathered for the next step, but quite a way to go yet. Almost, almost looking forward to getting stuck into it again and improving it.

cauld1

RMS Regular
OP
cauld1
Drives
BMW E34
Nice photos 👍🏻 Looking forward to seeing how you can improve it because it already looks pretty perfect as is lol
Cheers, I think this will be it done once and for all providing everything goes to plan!

Start of the parts have arrived.

New genuine AC Schnitzer centre caps as the definition on mine had been lost due to multiple sanding and painting etc.
PXL_20231021_153457909.jpg

And a loom adapter, adapter to take AN 10 fittings for oil cooler lines, secondary air pump blank and a nice wee coolant sensor tube.
PXL_20231021_153617625.jpg

PXL_20231021_153550458.jpg

PXL_20231021_153624215.jpg

PXL_20231021_153717928.jpg

Over the next month or so there's a bit of musical chairs to play moving cars about, but hoping the E34 will be back in it's old garage to do the work on it. Some small things to work out still but I think I've got my head around most of it, seems simple enough.

Steve750

RMS Regular
Drives
750i
Where did you get the secondary air pump blank from ? Why r u blanking it?