1995 E34 BMW 525i Sport

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Those bearings have definitely had a life, as long as the crank is good though, that's the 'main' thing...... :p

cauld1

RMS Regular
OP
cauld1
Drives
BMW E34
Those bearings have definitely had a life, as long as the crank is good though, that's the 'main' thing...... :p
Don't! I really want to avoid doing the mains. I'm going on the theory that they will be under much less stress so should be ok for a bit with regular oil changes etc.

mcmurray

RMS Regular
Drives
M3
Just while you've engine in front of you, replace the o-ring on the CPV on the side of the block. Not that easy to get to when the engine is in the car and the exhaust manifold is on. It will probably leak at some point if it's old.

Hack Engineering Viton CPV Seal (S50/S54)

cauld1

RMS Regular
OP
cauld1
Drives
BMW E34
Wouldn't do any harm to pop the caps and see what the craic is though.
You only want to be going in there once really.
Yep, I get that and agree. Just need to make sure the bolts for the main caps are reusable!

Next part of the puzzle ordered. Just a long c.6 week wait for it now.

IMG_9831.jpg

Karbonius carbon csl airbox. Went for their E30 S54 version as it has a bit more clearance for the brake servo, though i still want to look into a smaller servo anyways.

Ordered now, even though other maintenance parts are needed as I need to work out some wiring for this, and clearance for a strut brace. I really don't want a strut brace but from looking at some small cracks in the paint around the turrets it will be needed to avoid any more movement there.

Sump baffle up next to get that sorted and the sump finished up.

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Those CSL airboxes look class. I'd love one for the 155 as I'm thinking of going with an ITB setup on it.

cauld1

RMS Regular
OP
cauld1
Drives
BMW E34
Few more bits ordered:

- sump baffle
- Beisan billet exhaust hub (connects to the vanos unit and the tabs on the factory one have a habit of breaking and at worst ruining the engine)
- spring set for the vanos hub (S62 ones as an upgrade)
- braided oil line for the vanos
- cam timing tool kit
- new oil pump from JKC

Once funds recover a refurbished vanos unit will be on the cards. Doesn't necessarily need it but it's on an exchange basis and the rebuilt ones have all the common issues resolved. After the core charge is returned it's not too bad, and tbh I really, really cannot be arsed redoing the unit myself for not that much less money in the grand scheme of things.

Got the gearbox dropped at the weekend, and got the front panel spare holes welded. Still need to finish tidying them (ones on the outside are tidied in the 2nd photo).

PXL_20240114_162505787.jpg

PXL_20240114_180013702.jpg

cauld1

RMS Regular
OP
cauld1
Drives
BMW E34
Pictures of bits that have landed over the past few days.

Exhaust hub and the upgraded Beisan timing chain tensioner (had for a while but was sorting parts today so took a photo).
PXL_20240120_163831692_exported_2320_1705779063547.jpg

Oil pump.
PXL_20240120_164138004.jpg
PXL_20240120_164128797.jpg

Vanos hub spring sets
PXL_20240120_164037182.jpg

Vanos oil line
PXL_20240120_163953278.MP.jpg

Waiting for the cam timing tools to arrive and I can then take the vanos unit off the engine and change the hub etc to wait for buying a rebuilt unit.

Have also started to pull apart the front suspension to tidy a few bits up over the next while. Mostly just scratched powder coat and get bolts plated. Still need to buy a M5 steering box and look into 2 piece front brake discs to try and keep unsprung weight down / get rid of brake shudder (run out gauge confirms a pretty big warp in one disc).

Some welding on the bulkhead too and then wiring to look into. Essentially it will be adaptor loom, M3 ECU which needs some things coded out and adjusted for the airbox and M3 engine loom.

Steve750

RMS Regular
Drives
750i
Think it started life as a 520i. Are you doing the head gasket on the s54?