All new cars must have 'black box' spying device fitted from next year

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Interesting article from the mirror although worth taking with a pinch of salt.

EU regulations say all new cars must have built in spy box from October next year which will track speed and driving habits.

Motorists will be forced to have spy in the car technology which will track their speeds and other driving habits or face sky high insurance premiums.

The devices, similar to the black boxes on aeroplanes , will be fitted as standard on all new cars under EU regulations from October next year.

The so-called “telematics” technology will enable insurers to keep track of how fast their customers drive, how hard they brake and how many journeys a year they undertake.

If they refuse to take part, drivers will face huge increases in their annual insurance premiums.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/new-cars-must-black-box-3563221

swansty

RMS Regular
Drives
Disco and Saxo
Who will track them and what will happen if you cut the wires? will the bai's be round to sort you out? i suspect if anything it will be like aeroplane blackboxes whereby data preceeding an accident is recorded and stored rather than general driving data transmitted.

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
I'd imagine that if the wires are cut you void your insurance?

Seems that they're working towards giving you a choice to opt out instead of opting in, with the new cars having the hardware already sitting ready for use. If you opt out then you get shafted on premiums & if you opt in then I assume that provided you don't speed you can drive like a retard whilst enjoying premuims at the same price as before.

Reactions: dub

Gavlar

RMS Regular
Further proof that anything from mid 2000s onwards is utter ***** and is most likely over engineered/dependent on ****ty expensive electronics.

Suppose we can be grateful we aren't being forced to retrofit this crap

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
What a load of bollox.

It wont detect ****ers in the wrong lane, it wont detect ****ers not signalling properly, it wont detect ****ers using junctions dangerously, it wont detect ****ers who stop dead dangerously on slip roads where they're supposed to accelerate.

In fact it wont detect or do anything about 90% of bad driving.

http://www.signaljammerblockers.com/

Stu Beck

RMS Regular
Why do people get so annoyed over things like this? Its designed to detect bad driving and will lead to some shiite drivers off the road which is wat we all want. If your not driving like a cok you have nothing to worry about.

But some folks on here just like complaining for the fun of it or just to put their post count up.
Seriously, some folks just need to take a chill pill.

Sgt_Major

RMS Regular
Drives
E81 123d
Why do people get so annoyed over things like this? Its designed to detect bad driving and will lead to some shiite drivers off the road which is wat we all want. If your not driving like a cok you have nothing to worry about.

But some folks on here just like complaining for the fun of it or just to put their post count up.

It's big brother watching. I certainly wouldn't have one in my car, yet I have 12yrs no claims, and never had any endorsements on my licence.

Stu Beck

RMS Regular
If one of your relatives was killed by a driver and the black box was able to prove the driver was speeding and driving recklessly would you not be in favour of it?

PeteMoore

RMS Regular

As @stevieturbo pointed out, unless it is speeding related, it's ability to determine if you are a ***** driver is virtually zero.

Stu Beck

RMS Regular
It's big brother watching. I certainly wouldn't have one in my car, yet I have 12yrs no claims, and never had any endorsements on my licence.
And wats wrong with big brother watching if your not doing something you shouldnt?

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
If one of your relatives was killed by a driver and the black box was able to prove the driver was speeding and driving recklessly would you not be in favour of it?

Surely the point is that they don't speed and drive recklessly in the first place otherwise the box is utterly useless anyway.

PeteMoore

RMS Regular
And wats wrong with big brother watching if your not doing something you shouldnt?

Because the vast majority of us dont stick to 60 religiously on backroads, or 70 on motorways and carriageways.

We don't behave in a stupid manner, but because the data being sent is limited to location and speed those who do enjoy a spirited drive (ie every car enthusiast) is now going to be fooked.

My wife is just back from being in the car with someone who drove the entire way to bangor and back without using the indicators once, was unable to remain in one lane, and had no clue about lanes and roudabouts - to the point she was in fear for the entire return journey - what black box is going to be able to send a message saying "this person simply needs their license revoked". They never got into 5th gear, instead stayed in 3rd and 4th revving the nuts off the engine, cut cars up and never went above 40mph. That is outright dangerous. No black box can determine that and pass it on.

Allow the competent drivers who respect other road users to carry on as normal, people as described above should be targetted instead.

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
Well im in favour of anything that is designed to improve driving on our roads.

It wont though that's the problem. Itll nab someone for doing 75 on the M1 but let them chat on the phone, drive in the wrong lane, etc undetected. Plus do we begin to rely on these things and pull police off the roads? If anything itll make things worse .

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford

So can you explain how it is designed to detect bad driving ?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.