All new cars must have 'black box' spying device fitted from next year

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

PeteMoore

RMS Regular
Love all these doo gooders...they never speed and never spin the wheels, brake gently and never accelerate hard..but they drive evos and scoobys and god knows what else.....yeh right your all perfect drivers and will benifit from these devices...if you really would why the hell do you want a performance car...buy a Nissan Leaf and get off the Car forums

I concur

I think @scooby stu was just being a d*ck for his own amusement.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
People do nothing but complain about the police on our roads when they do try and enforce laws.

Enforcing silly laws does not improve road safety. Blindly enforcing laws with no common sense being applied does not improve road safety.

Enforcing laws when there is no real schemes in place to educate and improve driving standards after any punishment or conviction....is like pissing into the wind...and charging you money for doing it.

The current system is all about fines, and keeping arseholes in jobs dreaming up stupid legislation.

Instead of any road safety policies, they need to start calling them road death policies, as that's basically what they encourage.

davecoupe

RMS Photographer
Drives
S14a/vRS/Jetta
Is speeding not the biggest contributor to deaths on our roads?

No. Only about 25% are due to excess speed. Over half are due to 'loss of control', ie people not paying attention.

The money being invested in black boxes should be redirected back into making people do a driving test every 5 years ..... and putting more traffic cops in cars so they can actually educate people and improve the standard of driving on the roads. They should be booking people for driving in the overtaking lanes, not using indicators, veering all over the road, being dozy ballixs at the wheel, etc ........ All things that happen all the time but go unpunished.

Doubt black boxes will happen though, cant see the French, Spanish, Italians ...... or even the Germans for that matter, being too keen.

Last edited:

tomah

RMS Regular
Drives
Acura MDX
How many times have you seen a near accident due to speed vs a near accident due to lack of attention?

Almost daily you see the latter. Like the numpty in a silver mk4 Golf going around the Seven Towers roundabout yesterday who was in the outside lane and nearly took the nose off my car as he veered towards the inside lane. He wasn't going fast, he just wasn't paying attention. The sound of my horn seemed to bring him back to reality, but that's how accidents happen more so than speed.

Big Andy

RMS Regular
Drives
Peugeot
I was contracting for company awhile ago fitting black boxes to young drivers cars. I left Donaghadee at 0545 every morning and didn't get home to 7pm most nights. North and south I was there. You had to fit roughly 8 a day. Young folk seemed happy enough to be getting these fitted as they were saving a good bit of money. However I did get folk who were not so happy. A few weeks later and the earth had fallen out.

Personally I would not like a black box in my car or bike.

Where is are freedom in this country going?

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Agree totally with all the people who have already said that this is a load of complete balls.
The amount of times I have overtaken people swerving all over the road cos they're texting or in one case, a girl who was holding her phone against her ear with her shoulder and using gas tongs to do her fecking hair with her left hand.
She wasn't speeding though, and that's all that counts - right?

davey-dimples

RMS Regular
Drives
E90 330D
What a load of bollox.

It wont detect ****ers in the wrong lane, it wont detect ****ers not signalling properly, it wont detect ****ers using junctions dangerously, it wont detect ****ers who stop dead dangerously on slip roads where they're supposed to accelerate.

In fact it wont detect or do anything about 90% of bad driving.

http://www.signaljammerblockers.com/

Why do people get so annoyed over things like this? Its designed to detect bad driving and will lead to some shiite drivers off the road which is wat we all want. If your not driving like a cok you have nothing to worry about.

But some folks on here just like complaining for the fun of it or just to put their post count up.
Seriously, some folks just need to take a chill pill.

See above. lol.

Reno_LV

RMS Photographer
Drives
Honda S2000
Thief heaven- database hack(and we all know how much data loss UK civil service has on their hands), get locations of all the cars desired to be stolen, or wealthy car locations to find out their home address to even rob houses. What else do you need if you are a car thief? Another pointer - how will it work to record harsher acceleration to join motorways, or private lane up to your house when you give a wee blast, or even trackday? Pc ain't going to recognize all that and a person ain't going to go through millions of drivers. If it only gets looked at in case of an accident they can install it, if not, thanks i rather keep my car safe without a tracking device and pay the stupid insurance i do anyway! P.s. all these black boxes then shall mean police will recover stolen cars in 2h time??!

pablo

RMS Moderator
I dont imagine it will broadcast your location/speed to a central database, purely be accessible in case of an accident/suspected offence.

Mark_C

RMS Regular
I see a nice wee market for modifying said boxes to interfere with the signals sent from the sensors :grinning:

(Also if they use anything like the proprietary protocols most scada systems use then they'll be joke insecure)

neil205

RMS Regular
Drives
Cupra
Well im in favour of anything that is designed to improve driving on our roads.

So you have a scooby and have never had it past 70mph or accelerated quickly ? Of course people are going to hate this, it's a site for car enthusiasts, a lot of us like to drive fast cars-fast!

K55

RMS Regular
Stick a wire on her and put it on the bang... :laughing: :p

(some may know what I'm on about, if not don't worry about it)

:party:

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.