ANPR Cameras in Northern Ireland debate

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

scub

Banned
I got my sh*t rolled a couple of weeks back when 3 guys bounced out of a car. They jumped back in and I got the reg, make, model and they drove past at least 2 sets of fixed anpr cameras and the police can't prove the car left the house that day.... hardly useful then
i know this is an old post -but i'd like to know how they can go through apnr cameras and NOT be caught ??
can the cops not just search that date and time ? - thought that was the whole point of these spy cameras ????

Cro

RMS Regular
No idea chum, I'd have found them quicker myself tbh. They went to the house where the car was registered, party going on so picked 3 guys they thought matched my description. 8 months later call me for a lineup and turns out they picked the wrong ones ffs

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
i know this is an old post -but i'd like to know how they can go through apnr cameras and NOT be caught ??
can the cops not just search that date and time ? - thought that was the whole point of these spy cameras ????

That might be how you want the spy cameras to work....not always how they want them to work.

If these cameras werent an issue, why are they being put up in such a secretive manner ? Even news reports about some that have been destroyed just called them CCTV cameras. So even the news reporters dont know what they are.

I just drove to London and back on Saturday and then Dublin and back today.

In Northern Ireland I must have passed dozens of ANPR cameras.

Now maybe they are very different on the mainland or down south. But I dont recall seeing any in Scotland or England, and only a couple down south near the border.

brendy

RMS Regular
They have the blue cameras every few hundred yards in scotchland, who is to say there arent dark reasons for them being there too? "Yea they are just rtaffic cameras......"

avo5021

RMS Regular
They have the blue cameras every few hundred yards in scotchland, who is to say there arent dark reasons for them being there too? "Yea they are just rtaffic cameras......"

The Blue Box ones on the blue posts are traffic monitoring cameras, they provide the data for the likes of "Traffic Master" etc etc

avo5021

RMS Regular
They are sensors not cameras, they detect slow moving traffic and traffic at standstill.

J_Mc_G

RMS Regular
Drives
Impreza STi / ZX
That might be how you want the spy cameras to work....not always how they want them to work.

If these cameras werent an issue, why are they being put up in such a secretive manner ? Even news reports about some that have been destroyed just called them CCTV cameras. So even the news reporters dont know what they are.

I just drove to London and back on Saturday and then Dublin and back today.

In Northern Ireland I must have passed dozens of ANPR cameras.

Now maybe they are very different on the mainland or down south. But I dont recall seeing any in Scotland or England, and only a couple down south near the border.

I've seen them in England etc but only on the motorways attached to the bottom of bridges and gantrys for signs. Normally quite hard to see if you're driving as they're tucked in well, unlike the ones that are here standing on their own on a pole.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
I've seen them in England etc but only on the motorways attached to the bottom of bridges and gantrys for signs. Normally quite hard to see if you're driving as they're tucked in well, unlike the ones that are here standing on their own on a pole.

Traffic monitoring cameras. NOT ANPR for the purposes of covertly tracking vehicle movements.

The same query has already been asked about the bridge mounted cameras here. An answer was provided.

The government have pretty much denied the existence of the ANPR cameras though in FOI requests. Seems a bit silly really

Cess

RMS Staff
Different set of security circumstances in NI, though.

The Information Commissioner's Office said

The use of ANPR [automatic number plate recognition] cameras and other forms of surveillance must be proportionate to the problem it is trying to address.

After detailed inquiries, including consideration of the information Hertfordshire Constabulary provided, we found that this simply wasn't the case in Royston."

I'd imagine that the dissident terrorist threat here is more that sufficent to justify the continued use of ANPR in Northern Ireland i.e. that in the case of NI, the use of ANPR is a proportionate response to a significant risk.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.