ANPR Cameras in Northern Ireland debate

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
I saw that.

He was asked some logical, sensible and civilised questions on here (repeatedly, I may add) and failed to answer any of them in any kind of satisfactory manner ........... and now appears to have abandoned this forum due to the lack of interest, or perhaps the line of questioning didn't agree with him.

In any event, I don't hold out high hopes for his 'campaign' if he can't even handle questions from a car enthusiast forum, never mind those people higher up who really know how to squeeze someone like him.

Completely agree (y)

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
I read the posts he's submitting on that total-ni forum and he's considering buying a "loover" to avoid numberplate recognition by cameras situated above the roads but they allow the plates to still be seen at eye level

Stop Photo Radar License Plate Cover

anyone ever seen or bought one of these??

Does look pretty good though. But no doubt having it installed will be punishable by firing squad

Karlos Da Jackle

RMS Regular
Drives
PUG 306+GSI CARL
Going to revive this puppy.

Got some questions. These ANPR cameras that we have been discussing. What do they cover??

ANPR what i thhought it was, was teh onboard system in Police cars, it kind of covers everything, tax, insurance, mot, and is even used as teh recording for motoring offences and for speeding.

This whole topic has been about Fixed ANPR cameras, ok, I gather they do, tax insurance, mot, car movements, tracking it. But do they do speeding, at that point? Or even average speed checking?

pablo

RMS Moderator
nothing speed related Karlos, just logging really.

On the flipside, the c**t that ran that wee lad over and left him to die may have been caught on ANPR if there was one nearby. One good use of it anyway if the software is able to filter out everyone who passed in a certain timeframe and then filter out vehicle type and colour etc. Prob no cameras nearby tho.

ANPR btw is just to do with automated number plate recognition in software, not really anything to do with the physical camera or its location.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Going to revive this puppy.

Got some questions. These ANPR cameras that we have been discussing. What do they cover??

ANPR what i thhought it was, was teh onboard system in Police cars, it kind of covers everything, tax, insurance, mot, and is even used as teh recording for motoring offences and for speeding.

This whole topic has been about Fixed ANPR cameras, ok, I gather they do, tax insurance, mot, car movements, tracking it. But do they do speeding, at that point? Or even average speed checking?

They record the movements of every single innocent person for approx 2 years. Occasionally there may be some criminals in there too. Now what they do with that information afterwards is the big concern, or what they use the cameras for in the future is a big concern.
The bloody things are everywhere. Next it'll be pay per mile, or some other random fine generator.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?ms...&ll=54.692884,-5.784302&spn=1.247681,2.796021

Stoney

RMS Regular
Drives
FN2 Type R GT
Just saw something that reminded me of this thread

A silver mondeo ( CHZ ****) parked up at the side of Nutts corner rd at Ldls, with the driver standing in the middle of the lane taking pictures of the ANPRs cameras just before the roundabout.

I wonder did i spot Orwell:party:

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
I wonder how much the poles would yield in scrap value. Might be worth cutting them down and weighing them in ! lol

gerdy

RMS Regular
i have always wondered what the cameras along the west link were for.

even thos it is a bit concerning having yourself tracked these days with information being stolen all over the show im sure they do help catch movements of cars used in crime etc

Rover Repair

RMS Regular
Drives
Rover's!
They already do man.....

tinfoil.jpg
tinfoil.jpg

Karlos Da Jackle

RMS Regular
Drives
PUG 306+GSI CARL
As it happens, the last few times I've been home, I've noticed them everywhere.

Now not that i was doing anything wrong, but everytime i did pass one, I felt like a criminal,lol. Horrible looking things as well.

Cro

RMS Regular
I got my sh*t rolled a couple of weeks back when 3 guys bounced out of a car. They jumped back in and I got the reg, make, model and they drove past at least 2 sets of fixed anpr cameras and the police can't prove the car left the house that day.... hardly useful then

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
I got my sh*t rolled a couple of weeks back when 3 guys bounced out of a car. They jumped back in and I got the reg, make, model and they drove past at least 2 sets of fixed anpr cameras and the police can't prove the car left the house that day.... hardly useful then

The only criminals they will be used against.....are law abiding motorists.

There's little doubt they passed more than two. There are thousands of them

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?ie...d=217547757041314517647.0004a03ad9fbe9f40a116

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
I'm all for ANPR cameras.

you never know when they might be of use to you.

can photograph my car all they like, I often wave to the camera haha

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
I'm all for ANPR cameras.

you never know when they might be of use to you.

can photograph my car all they like, I often wave to the camera haha

I think you are right,. We will never know when they will be of use. And we will never be able to avail of their information to help normal civilians/victims of crime.
As Cro has already shown.

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
but these cameras may come of some use to you without you even knowing.

I'd rather see them than not to be honest.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford

As Ive said. In theory yes if they are used properly, then they would be fantastic. But lets face it, the police operate them.

Karlos Da Jackle

RMS Regular
Drives
PUG 306+GSI CARL

Well for poor Cro, they weren't very helpful,lol, and he wa strying to have them used.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Clealry whoever wrote the report of 5 year study is clueless. They say £4 out of every £10 earned goes to the government in tax ?

Where is this low tax utopia ? Sure as hell isnt anywhere I know.

They take approximately 23% of our wages. Then they take 20% of every damn thing we spend money on. Then the whopping 80+% taxation on fuel. 5% Insurance tax ? Plus god knows what other taxes we dont know about.

I'd throw a wild figure out there and say the government take around 50-60% of every pound we earn.

And the simplicity of purely taxing road fuel for road use and abolishing all other extortionate and unfair taxes on motorists will never happen. And the article above says why. Because as people move to more efficient cars, or electric etc....the goverment start to lose revenue, so they need to get this back.

So they may try and push people towards what are allegedly cleaner/cheaper vehicles. But this is the start...the more people do go that route, then the government will seek ways to tax them.

So may as well buy a V8 and enjoy it while you can.

A communist regime might not be that far away.

Orwell

RMS Regular
OP
O
Sweet Jebus, I thought for a second there that he had run out of tinfoil and was back.

If he had answered the (very simple) questions asked he would maybe have coverted some people. Even if he does convince half of NI that ANPR is baad mmmkay, the cameras are still gonna be there.

I was not here to answer questions. I was not here to convert people. I was not here to convince people.

I was here to inform, thats all. People are well able and free to make their own minds up, far be it from me to manipulate them.

And when i was threatened with thread closure i left.

And by the way, i answered as many of your questions as you answered of mine.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?ie...4.76267,-6.80603&spn=1.361246,4.22699&t=h&z=9

St3ve

RMS Member
Drives
a vehicle
Hey all,

I've been reading this long thread now. And I must say I'm quite surprised by some remarks of some contributors:

1. Nothing to hide, nothing to fear- well if you've done nothing wrong, why would you need to be watched? Shouldn't being trusted be the norm rather then being watched? What's wrong with this society?

2. Uninsured vehicles, untaxed vehicles: How comes this is such a big topic in NI and the UK? Go abroad: France, Belgium, Holland, Germany etc. they all hardly use ANPR cams to find uninsured/untaxed vehicles. They have other ways of making sure the system works. Why would ANPR be needed here... and all that it comes with (mostly the cost of tax payer's money!)?
Example: In Germany you need to set up a direct debit for car tax. If there's no money in the account, they come to your registered address- and they would take you to court instead of crush your vehicle. MOT is checked only by a sticker on the plate. No ANPR needed but it works.

3. Couldn't care less as I'm all legal: Stasi would have loved ANPR! The Berlin Wall would still be there had they've had it.
And what is legal and what is not can change overnight. Once a govt got a tool to use against you, it will be difficult to fight a change in law- because this might be declared illegal. In 1932 it was legal to be a jew in Munich. In 1942 ANPR could have cought the jew driving in his car which he wasn't allowed to own anymore.

4. Finally it's the athmosphere ANPR can create. There was a reason why people in Birmingham wanted to have them removed: Because they weren't consulted and they felt they were unjustly put under suspicion. ANPR creates an athmosphere of suspicion. A society cannot work on this basis. Surveillance needs to be restricted to occasions with a specific suspicion otherwise trust must prevail.

5. Crime fighting: ANPR is illegal in Germany because it puts everybody under a general suspicion. Hence it cannot be used without a targeted suspicion (which means officers needs to check specific plates individually).
Question: Is NI/UK so much safer then other countries that do not use ANPR? Lots of terorists in France and Belgium?

Would be interesting to hear the view of those who came up with the "can't care less" and "nothing to hide" arguments here...

Steve

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.