Average speed cameras - anyone got caught?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
As title says, has anyone got caught by an average speed camera? Any camera, not just local ones. Just curious :grinning:

santoz

RMS Regular
Drives
VRS, Clio 182
nope, and my mum speeds past the ones outside newry all the time. loada bull if you ask me!

da.murf

RMS Regular
Drives
Nissan 350z
nope craigantlet is the route i use now when heading to bangor

Amos

RMS Regular
Drives
What ever is in
I was just thinking this myself............ What about the ones from Bangor to Belfast........????

I don't know how I haven't been caught, it makes me think are they real.....?!

Rocko

RMS Regular
Drives
Pure Soul
^^ As above. Ive forgotten about them a few times and nothing yet, touch wood!

Gaz

This space available for rent
Drives
M4 Comp Pack
Good question indeed, I've yet to hear of a single person getting caught by them. I'm sure they work though, maybe they're just effective.

Gaz

Cooper

Site Manager
Drives
C63 / Emira
Didn't someone say that there were only a handful of people caught after the first month of SPECS in Newry, due to people sticking to the limit and the generous margins built into the limits.

Andy

Cess

RMS Staff
According to the last available minutes of Newry and Mourne DPP: "The SPECS cameras on the Belfast Road had resulted in 56 speeding violations" That was over a nine month period.

scub

Banned
is it true they can only get you from the front - ie. bikes need'nt worry??

and i know they're there for a reason ,
but the once i've been on the bangor road ,
by the time i'd got to the big open bit towards the rathgael turnoff ,
i looked behind me and there was literally a several hundred yard long 2 lane convoy all travelling right up each others bumpers at the stupidly slow limit .
1 blow out there , and your gonna have a multi-car pile up like you only see in england !

Gaz

This space available for rent
Drives
M4 Comp Pack
Thats roughly one person every 5 days. And how many cars pass through them in an average day, thousands? Seems they are definitely having an effect...

Gaz

Nazor

RMS Regular
Drives
306 Dimma
I mind the first time i came across these was in Scotland late last year - i wasnt really holding back and alas nothing came of it

Pumesta

RMS Regular
Drives
Focus_ST_3
Any one know why the ones from Ards to Dundonald face the opposite way round from anywhere else

Gobsheene

RMS Regular
Drives
Mini&Corolla
Surely this is a good thing :grinning: Good to see that they have an effect!

six_impressive_hours

RMS Regular
I spend more time looking at the speedo rather than concentrating on my driving though. It can be hard to judge your speed in 200bhp+ cars, especially if there is no other traffic around.

jamesy

Resintooth

RMS Regular
Drives
AP1 S2000
I've forgotten about these so many times it's unreal and nothing has happened yet. i reckon there is a big enough margin. They are def working though. Traffic is always flowing smoothly too.

I drive from Bangor to Belfast everyday and since they have appeared i haven't seen one accident and there was always something happening on that road before. Positive thing i think anyways.

tbdevpaul

RMS Regular
Drives
Hundeye
i find it harder to keep my speed down in my derv megane for work than my mr2 when on there FFS and i hate the journey to bangor now. what happens if you are hammering on and pull into holywood or get stopped at red lights does the time spent at the lights count ???

Rocko

RMS Regular
Drives
Pure Soul
I think the cameras run in series of 3 or 4, so effectively your speed at the last isnt calculated using your speed from the first.

This was told to me by a drunken policeman so it may be tripe.

DaddyCC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
There must be a good tolerence level on these as i see ones doing 70 easily on the 60 all the time and they dont seem to worried?!?!?

Also i was wondering if one of the resident 5-0 knows this wee query... Is it possible to lose your license on that whole stretch of road if your caught speeding through the 4 zones, or if your caught speeding on one bit of it you can only get done once for that whole stretch???

I was under impression that as its all one stretch and broke up into a few zones you can only get done the once???

Graham2

RMS Regular
Drives
RS4
There must be a good tolerence level on these as i see ones doing 70 easily on the 60 all the time and they dont seem to worried?!?!?

Also i was wondering if one of the resident 5-0 knows this wee query... Is it possible to lose your license on that whole stretch of road if your caught speeding through the 4 zones, or if your caught speeding on one bit of it you can only get done once for that whole stretch???

I was under impression that as its all one stretch and broke up into a few zones you can only get done the once???

You're right, you'll only get done once, it was in the paper. I,m almost certain that in the same article it said that the cameras worked in pairs, not 3's or 4's.

DaddyCC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
Aye sorry what i meant was the way there is about 4 zones of pairs, ie 60-60 then 50-50, 40-40 etc

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Been doing 65 on the carriageway and 55 through the 50 zone for ages now and nothing has came through, must be a decent enough tolerance on them. Was passed by a Taxi doing about 65 through the 50 yesterday so I dare say he'll get a letter through the door.

avo5021

RMS Regular
Ive heard nothing about the Bangor-Belfast ones but i do remember when the Newry ones were on test (prior to going live) they were detecting over 150 motorists a day.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.