Average speed cameras - anyone got caught?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

big cyril

RMS Regular
It's dependant on circumstances, Pablo. If it's outside a school at 8.30am on a Monday morning during semester and you're doing 40, I'd like to think you'd be pulled on it. Or Sunday morning when church is dispersing, if you're doing 40 then I'd also like to think the same conclusion. The limit is somewhere around 14mph over each speed limit you are permitted to do before the Police can prosecute you for it, bar the circumstances explained earlier in my post.

1-14mph over the limit and you'll generally be fine.
15-29mph over the limit and you'll receive 3 points and £60fpn (unless you're driving dangerously, or carelessly at the time).
+30 mph over any speed limit and you'll be charged to appear in court for the offence.

If you're caught anywhere other than a motorway or carriageway though, always ask "Is your speedometer calibrated?"

;)

Interesting but I know for a fact someone who got 3 points for 52 in a 40 (roadworks) so you can't assume the cops won't enforce at a lower limit.

OLLIeCrX

RMS Regular
Drives
C63 AMG
the bloody loughbrickland road works are a 40, and everyday theres at least 1 speed trap sitting at it, yet every southern plate just bails on through.

therock

RMS Regular
Interesting but I know for a fact someone who got 3 points for 52 in a 40 (roadworks) so you can't assume the cops won't enforce at a lower limit.

Well I did mention mitigating circumstances above. I imagine the safety of the road/construction workers was taken into account

big cyril

RMS Regular
Well I did mention mitigating circumstances above. I imagine the safety of the road/construction workers was taken into account

Indeed, but where does the cops discretion end? eg are the limits above ok if it's dark?, if there is rain or if the road is wet, if the traffic is heavy, how heavy does traffic have to be etc, etc, etc it's all very variable and I reckon it wouldn't be worth the risk chancing it, I'll still stick to the limit plus 5 except in 30's.

@OllieCRX - that's where I was talking about - and most of the time there are no workers there anyway!

OLLIeCrX

RMS Regular
Drives
C63 AMG
tell me about it, those works all along that road are a joke, i travel it every thursday around 7-7.30 and my dad does it daily, slowing to 40 for roadworks with no workers adds around 25mins to our journey time.

the rest of the time its at the speed limit with the cruise control.

not annoying for 1 run, but daily its a right pain in the ass!!

my dad also got done there for like 46 or 47 i think it was

OLLIeCrX

RMS Regular
Drives
C63 AMG
you think he wasn't what? Done for speeding there? I'm not sure of the exact speed, but it wasn't over 50 for sure.

They also like taking their time returning the license.

Dont get me wrong it was a fair cop, I just think its a joke that the southern platers just bail on and nothing done, and even with no workers present the limit is still 40, and still they have traps

therock

RMS Regular
Thing is you can't stick points on a southern licence, so have to take them to court.

What would happen if they had a court date and didnt show up? Fook all, cuz PSNI can't go hunting in the south. So they'd need to be kept in a cell overnight

rybo

RMS Regular
you think he wasn't what? Done for speeding there? I'm not sure of the exact speed, but it wasn't over 50 for sure.

They also like taking their time returning the license.

Dont get me wrong it was a fair cop, I just think its a joke that the southern platers just bail on and nothing done, and even with no workers present the limit is still 40, and still they have traps

He wasn't done for 46 or 47 in a 40mph limit. I always challenge these claims - post up the ticket, correspondence or any other form of proof of this. You won't be able to.

Also - in areas bordering ROI, safety camera operations have mobile patrols to deal with speeding drivers who reside outside our jurisdiction, usually by way of arrest. Not exactly a joke.

OLLIeCrX

RMS Regular
Drives
C63 AMG
i apologise i was wrong, I asked him and he said he was doing 52.

do you not send the ticket in with the license and your £60 PSNI christmas fund voucher? its been that long from i`ve had a fine to be fair.

no need to get on your PSNI high horse lads. This is exactly the kind of attitude that pisses people off. I simply was stating that the road works are now becoming an easy target, whether it be during the day with workers or at 3 am. and I stated that my dad got done for "46 or 47 I think", and it was a fair cop, yet i get passed by southern reg cars well over 70 at a guess and they ust seem to bail on without a care in the world, maybe they are hunted down later and dalt with i dont know.

Its not an issue to me tbh, because i always whap the cruise control on to 40 or if i`m in mine i just keep the speed down, cuz you never know whos hiding round the corner... especially on the A1!

i`d never any problem with any of the members of the force on here, but tbh those last posts by both avo and rybo are just blaitently out to be rude, as i dont make a habit of coming on here bad mouthing and bull ****ting left right and centre like some, i made a comment and got remarks like that.

and back on to the actual topic, has anyone got done with these average speed yet in bangor area?

cheers!

B A Baracus

RMS Regular
Drives
Fergie TVO
Avo would I be right in saying that temporary speed limits at roadworks are not legal unless they have been advertised in the local papers, also what legalities have temporary traffic lights?

Tim(e)

Drives
599/1998/2LTurbo
Its hard enough having to concentrate on those roadworks and the concrete barriers they have in place on the A1 at the moment, without having to watch out for Maghabery 5-0 money making camera vans.

The ammount of accidents i've seen nearly happen due to cars braking eradicatly especially at the Hillsborough turn off because they've spotted a camera...

Bad, bad, very bad...shouldn't be permitted, though easy targets at the end of the day and that says it all really....

Interesting note from TSRGD....

"At sites where the length of road affected is 800 metres or longer, repeater signs along
the length of the works are required to remind drivers of the maximum speed and ensure
better compliance – police will only enforce where signs are correctly installed.

3.2 The police can only enforce speed limits where the maximum speed limit signs conform with the requirements of the TSRGD Regulations.

3.3 Temporary speed limit signs at road works should comply with Table 2.

Table 2: SIGNS FOR TEMPORARY SPEED LIMIT

Types of Road Terminal Signs Repeater Signs and Spacing

Motorway and All-purpose Dual Carriageway Roads with Hard
Shoulder (NSL, 60 mph and 50 mph) 1500 mm
900 mm at 350 m on alternate
sides of the carriageway

All-purpose Dual Carriageway Road without Hard Shoulder (NSL, 60 mph
and 50 mph) 1200 mm
900 mm at 350 m on alternate
sides of the carriageway

All-purpose Single Carriageway Road
(NSL and 50 mph) 750 mm 600 mm at 350 m on alternate sides of the carriageway

Note: Repeater signs on the same side of the carriageway should not be placed further apart than 700 metres

Must check this to see if A1 works comply.... ;)

OLLIeCrX

RMS Regular
Drives
C63 AMG
@ BA - as far as i`m aware the temporary traffic lights have the same standing as regulars, in that they must be obeyed.

another thing that gets me on that road, as your heading north bound coming to the final set of specs camera before loughbrickland, on the left beside the building site theres a temporary 40mph sign, but its only one sign, and is it the site is 40mph or just a random stretch of road is 40mph? its totally unclear an the number of people standing on their brakes at that point is also scandalous. and theres no clear indication of where it ends should it be applicable to the road.

rybo

RMS Regular
i apologise i was wrong, I asked him and he said he was doing 52.

do you not send the ticket in with the license and your £60 PSNI christmas fund voucher? its been that long from i`ve had a fine to be fair.

no need to get on your PSNI high horse lads. This is exactly the kind of attitude that pisses people off. I simply was stating that the road works are now becoming an easy target, whether it be during the day with workers or at 3 am. and I stated that my dad got done for "46 or 47 I think", and it was a fair cop, yet i get passed by southern reg cars well over 70 at a guess and they ust seem to bail on without a care in the world, maybe they are hunted down later and dalt with i dont know.

Its not an issue to me tbh, because i always whap the cruise control on to 40 or if i`m in mine i just keep the speed down, cuz you never know whos hiding round the corner... especially on the A1!

i`d never any problem with any of the members of the force on here, but tbh those last posts by both avo and rybo are just blaitently out to be rude, as i dont make a habit of coming on here bad mouthing and bull ****ting left right and centre like some, i made a comment and got remarks like that.

and back on to the actual topic, has anyone got done with these average speed yet in bangor area?

cheers!

Ollie the reason you were challenged on the speeds you mentioned is that Avo & I both work in this field and know at what speed we start dishing out the points. We have to read post after post after post about 'me mate/sister/da/cousin or whoever getting done for 35 in a 30' and similar BS when we know it is all lies. So now I challenge every one of them.
I don't mean to be rude but did you not say it was definitely under 50?

And I seriously doubt whether it was 52 either.

Ollie, people underexaggerate their speed so as to make themselves sound as if they're the martyr & being shafted by the big bad traffic branch, when in reality anyone getting speeding points in this country has no complaint - they are WELL over the limit.

andy_gdon

RMS Regular
Drives
GTi Polo
^^ ollie please post up the ticket and prove him wrong...please

oh dear thats a large wack of humble pie right there dude lol

I dont know much about the police but i bet they can check who/when/where/speed etc even if its not in their patrol area.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.