Average speed cameras - anyone got caught?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

andy9eleven

RMS Regular
Drives
All broken
what happens if you are hammering on and pull into holywood or get stopped at red lights does the time spent at the lights count ???

That question was asked on the other posts when the cameras first went up and no proper answer was given. I guess it will be one of life's little mysteries.

pablo

RMS Moderator
time at lights DOES NOT count, it cant be that intelligent. no way.
if you pull off before going through the second camera then again, no way it can know

andy9eleven

RMS Regular
Drives
All broken
It is feasible that they could be linked to the lights but? What would it take - a couple of devices to send a signal to camera control to say it is red, a bit of time delay factored in case you jump, then count up until it changes, deduct your stopped time from the time taken to travel between the cameras and hey presto.

It just seems odd to me that they appear to span the lights on a couple of occasions, and surely they would have moved them to other side, prior to the lights if they knew they wouldn't work 100%.

After all the roads service maintain both the lights and the cams and the lights were updated not that long ago with these new LED units so they are pretty new themselves.

Anyway, who knows, I'll not test it out.

brendy

RMS Regular
time at lights DOES NOT count, it cant be that intelligent. no way.
if you pull off before going through the second camera then again, no way it can know
Exactly, it isnt possible without a very sophisticated set of sensors running the entire length of the road sensing lane changes, slow downs etc to be able to show speed. The difference between 55 and 60mph going through the cameras isnt very much so factoring in a random figure isnt going to work, it would take years upon years of testing to be anywhere near the same galaxy as accurate never mind being demonstrable to the law makers.

Paul RS

RMS Regular
Drives
Sierra Cosworth
I've seen the limits that PNSI officers are issued with regarding recieving points when you get pulled for speeding.

You will be safe with the average cameras at a few mph over the limit;)

Oh as for dodging cameras on the bangor-belfast road, beware the cops are still about with the radar as the know people are doing this....

a_bah_god_1

Banned
There must be a good tolerence level on these as i see ones doing 70 easily on the 60 all the time and they dont seem to worried?!?!?

what 60's??? the newtownards to dundonald is a 70 imo
the only one i know locally is ballyrobert to bangor, and if they're running 70 there, i'd say they'll get a little extra post.
i thought all cariageways with national speed signs were 70.
inc. bangor to ards and ards to comber as local examples.

is that right??

thats the trouble too,,,, a lot of ppl can't read signs .:cool:

Paul RS

RMS Regular
Drives
Sierra Cosworth
do tell Paul.

I can't remember them all exactly, one that stood out was you have to be doing 45 in a 30 before you can get a fixed penality notice:scream:

The motorway one was 80mph though lol you'd think they be a bit tighter on the 30mph zones wouldn't you?

DaddyCC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
what 60's??? the newtownards to dundonald is a 70 imo
the only one i know locally is ballyrobert to bangor, and if they're running 70 there, i'd say they'll get a little extra post.
i thought all cariageways with national speed signs were 70.
inc. bangor to ards and ards to comber as local examples.

is that right??

thats the trouble too,,,, a lot of ppl can't read signs .:cool:
Aye the Ards - Dundonald ones are 70, even though every morning i pass virtually every person doing 60, numpties... Also this morning the cops for once were sitting at the exit to the housing estate on the left as you come into Dundonald, people were stopped behind them as they didnt know they had just stopped there with their indicators on watching for ones speeding coming into the 40 zone and just ending up blocking Joe public lol (n)

But sorry, i was referring to the ones going out of Bangor being a 60 at the early stage, and me or others, seeing ones doing 70 easily on those bits... Im still not gonna risk it however :grinning:

pablo

RMS Moderator
I can't remember them all exactly, one that stood out was you have to be doing 45 in a 30 before you can get a fixed penality notice:scream:

The motorway one was 80mph though lol you'd think they be a bit tighter on the 30mph zones wouldn't you?

wow 45 seems unusually high.

therock

RMS Regular
It's dependant on circumstances, Pablo. If it's outside a school at 8.30am on a Monday morning during semester and you're doing 40, I'd like to think you'd be pulled on it. Or Sunday morning when church is dispersing, if you're doing 40 then I'd also like to think the same conclusion. The limit is somewhere around 14mph over each speed limit you are permitted to do before the Police can prosecute you for it, bar the circumstances explained earlier in my post.

1-14mph over the limit and you'll generally be fine.
15-29mph over the limit and you'll receive 3 points and £60fpn (unless you're driving dangerously, or carelessly at the time).
+30 mph over any speed limit and you'll be charged to appear in court for the offence.

If you're caught anywhere other than a motorway or carriageway though, always ask "Is your speedometer calibrated?"

;)

avo5021

RMS Regular
All of the above yes but an officer can prosecute for lower speeds if they can justify the reasoning...

Technically you can be prosecuted for 1mph over...as long as it can be justified.

Tim(e)

Drives
599/1998/2LTurbo
What reason would justify giving an OAP a ticket for doing 31 in a 30 or 41 in a 40 or 51 in a 50, 61 in a 60 or 71 in a 70 or indeed anyone....

Totally unjust...

Chris Mac

RMS Regular
Drives
MK8 GTi CS
I cant anyone getting a ticket for 1mph over. If I got one Id be straight to court to appeal.

But why?

There are a set of rules put in place stating a limit that the government and police authorities feel is appropriate for each piece of road...Breaking these rules, all be it only by 1mph is still breaking them..

pablo

RMS Moderator
because its physically impossible to regulate your speed at each instant while driving. Hence the tolerences. To do so (by staring at your speedo constantly) would obviously be very dangerous.

AlanR

RMS Regular
Drives
Clio
I went through gilford on the way to drop people at the coach, i was doing 40 in a 30 and passed speed camera being held by a peeler and nothing came of it, that was way last year

AlanR

RMS Regular
Drives
Clio
But why?

There are a set of rules put in place stating a limit that the government and police authorities feel is appropriate for each piece of road...Breaking these rules, all be it only by 1mph is still breaking them..

Is there not something about 10% over the limit, like 3mph in a 30 meaning they will not do you if you are sitting at 31,32,33 mph

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
But why?

Because the speedo is not accurate enough... Try telling if you are doing 30 or 31 just by staring at the speedo.

And, because there is (for the time being) still some shred of common sense buried inside the system.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
In reality though, the margins are quite big in some ways.
All cars speedo's over read from the factory. So add in the prosecution tolerances, and you can easily be travelling at an indicated 40mph, yet still be travelling at a low enough speed to avoid being prosecuted.

So the 31mph scenario would be plain daft....( so no doubt there is some pedantic **** out there who would try and prosecute anyway !!!! )

avo5021

RMS Regular
The rule of thumb is that speedos can be around 10% inacurate... the inaccuracy either being 10% above or below true speed...

That where the 10% plus whatever ACPO guidelines come from..

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.