Biking, is it a death wish?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

davecoupe

RMS Photographer
Drives
S14a/vRS/Jetta
I rode MotoX with some family and a few close mates when I was younger and I couldn't imagine riding a bike on the roads. I really don't think the 'risk vs reward' aspect could possibly add up for me, especially considering some of the absolute clowns I see in cars on the roads.

My wife works in Intensive Care from time to time and if I landed home with a bike she would kill me herself, she sees a very high percentage of bikers passing through the ward.

Gareth

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda's
Death machines. Anyone on them has a death wish. Too dangerous for the roads. YOU ARE GOING TO DIE.

What a load of ballix. You're an adult, you make your own decisions. Bearing in mind, other people may be dependant on you, so ride accordingly. Only you actually know/want to learn. Bikers, in my opinion, are also better car drivers.

mike150

RMS Regular
Drives
Around
I remember breaking my hand at a MX race at Destermartin and whrn I went to hospital I said to the nurse 'I'm sure you get fed up with people like me on bikes' she said ' no not at all, you are the first today but we have had six rugby players in already'

I ride road bikes now and have for 15 years. My decision was based on money originally, my first love was always cars but I can't afford a car that does a 10 second quarter mile and is so much fun to use as a bike. A couple of thousand buys a 1000cc bike, my insurance is £80.

Do your test first, then you have options.

I know loads of people who wish they had done their test years ago when it was easier and cheaper, they still haven't done it and probably never will. I am not that type of person.

Stebo

RMS Regular
Drives
Defender 110
I think that it completely depends on the person and mentality. That fact that somebody sits down and considers the risks, etc before jumping in would tell me that you would likely be safe. Like everything there is a chance a car will drive into you, but then there's a chance the same will happen you in a car.

The people who ride with a death wish are the sort of people who wouldn't even pause to consider the risks associated with getting their test.

I got my test with the aim of getting a sport bike and going everywhere as hard as I could. The reality of the danger and risks hit me when I passed my test and I have wised up a lot. Although there is nothing like tearing up the roads, there is also massive enjoyment in cruising about leisurely on a sunny summer evening.

I'd say do it.

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
I did my theory and a number of lessons about 6/7 years ago. Looking back I sometimes regret not going through with it but at the time I bought my S3 and started seeing my current wife so maybe it was a good thing - I know she would be worried sick and probably divorce me if I started on a bike again.

ilovequo

RMS Regular
Ride your 125 for a few weeks and you'll know what to expect...

It should definitely improve your hazard perception; you'll pay a lot more attention for standing water/oil spills/gravel/potholes/manholes/whitelines/dogs/cats/tractors (and traffic branch!)

Steve C

RMS Regular
OP
Steve C
Started the CBT today, the rain beat us so I'm finishing it next week.

I started on a 125cc and it quickly became clear that it was too small etc. Continued on a 650cc, much much better. It immediately felt more stable and easier to control. Did the off road manoeuvres and the on road country road and dual carriageway parts. Just have the city roads bit to do.

I didn't feel particularly unsafe although we only got up to 55-60mph. Great fun and I'm definitely going to do the direct access test.

I think it will be great for getting rid of stress and getting the head straight.

Last edited:

banksy6118

RMS Regular
Drives
CTR/S1KRR
Started the CBT today, the rain beat us so I'm finishing it next week.

I started on a 125cc and it quickly became clear that it was too small etc. Continued on a Kawasaki ER6n 650cc, much much better. It immediately felt more stable and easier to control. Did the off road manoeuvres and the on road country road and dual carriageway parts. Just have the city roads bit to do.

I didn't feel particularly unsafe although we only got up to 55-60mph. Great fun and I'm definitely going to do the direct access test.

I think it will be great for getting rid of stress and getting the head straight.
That's all it takes lol welcome to the club!

mike150

RMS Regular
Drives
Around
The only thing I think you need to remember is that a 1000 sportbike has the performance of the fastest car money can buy, think Veryron and F1 Maclaren. Therfore you need to exercise restraint, imagine passing your driving test and driving a Veyron shortly after! It wouldn't end well!

It a learning curve that should be taken over a few year's.

Steve C

RMS Regular
OP
Steve C
The only thing I think you need to remember is that a 1000 sportbike has the performance of the fastest car money can buy, think Veryron and F1 Maclaren. Therfore you need to exercise restraint, imagine passing your driving test and driving a Veyron shortly after! It wouldn't end well!

It a learning curve that should be taken over a few year's.

Yeah, a valid point. I think 650cc would be as big as I'd go for now.

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
I would absolutely love a bike but even getting on a pit bike terrifies me :worried: how do you get over the fear of falling off?

sduk

RMS Regular
Drives
Mini Cooper SD
I love the idea of a bike, love the way they look, sound and the thrill must be incredible I'm sure.

What really hit home to me was earlier this year I was driving (my car) to work and came across a guy who had just come off his bike.

Man dies in motorbike accident near Forfar

He was an old guy, with a slow bike and had been out for a run round the country having just moved here. He was apparently just caught by a side wind and that made him lose control and go headfirst into a wall just as I turned the corner moments later. Not even going that fast by all accounts, it was an old bike.

I will never forget the mess he was in.

No way will I ever get on a bike.

NotKG

Banned
at it 30 years, the nut on the handlebars holds it all together(you), makes you a better driver, hitting the limiter in top is a must, wife and kids on tow, she's been out on the back, but has no interest(bonus for me) son has been out on back from feet reached the pegs, and done his full test at 17, only a month before the new multi part test came in, and has a 600 road bike. go for it. just live by the one rule of the road, "everyone around you has the possibility of injuring you or killing you" and ride accordingly. no test will make you a biker, only experience. you will fall off, it's inevitable. the only person responsible for you on the road is "you" , you can't put the blame on anyone else. if you crash, it's likely your fault, you missed something or misjudged something or weren't looking or thinking of all the possibilities. it is as dangerous as you make it. passed, ride with others(club) and listen to them if they tell you off. do a few bike safes, stick to 30's no matter what, likely the most dangerous place on the road(for speed traps) ride it like you stole it. lol . and PS. learn to filter, pisses of the car drivers at the lights.

steveo21

RMS Regular
Drives
EP3
I got my test 5 months ago and have loved every minute out riding since then.

Until the weekend past. Dropped the bike going too fast and now I've a broken collarbone for my troubles.

Steve C

RMS Regular
OP
Steve C
I got my test 5 months ago and have loved every minute out riding since then.

Until the weekend past. Dropped the bike going too fast and now I've a broken collarbone for my troubles.

Will you be getting back on it?

Sanz

RMS Regular
Drives
Fireblade
Been riding 5 years and nothing beats the rush. The whole experience is mega...you're totally connected to the bike in everything you do! It's vastly improved my awareness on the road too, both on the bike and in the car.

I will say however, you need to understand what you're getting into as a lot of "bikers" love the idea of it but have no comprehension of biking when it comes to it!

mike150

RMS Regular
Drives
Around
I would absolutely love a bike but even getting on a pit bike terrifies me :worried: how do you get over the fear of falling off?
Start MX............you will soon get very used to falling off.

Even when you get the hang of MX if you aren't falling off you aren't trying!

Don't fall off a road bike though.

chris_b

RMS Regular
Drives
A car
Been monitoring this thread with great interest. Ive had my licence for years now and like many of you have said was told if I bought a bike I needed to find somewhere else to live, Long story short I sort of bought a bike and my mum threw me out ( this was a long time ago) thankfully the the bike buy fell through as in typical fashion I'd decided an R1 was the perfect bike for my 1st !

Anyway years later I still lust after a bike. A friend has a Panigale and it drives me insane. I keep thinking I really need to buy one every time I see it.
However I worry enough about it to stop me for the time being but the desire never really goes away.

mckeown

RMS Regular
Drives
mitsi outlander
I dont bike as im too scared to plus id look stupid, but i passed a bike with really bright DRL's over the weekend and I think they would certainly help with motorists seeing you, i sell push bikes and i always put the inference of being seen on the rider as it is them who are usually in a worse state and the only excuse is usually the driver saying "i didnt see them..."

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.