cheats to pass the MOT test that worked

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Robber

RMS Regular
Drives
Fiats mainly
IMG_20170512_215642458_zpsbz7otild.jpg

'A friend's' washer pump bodge for MOT tomorrow. Place your bets.

Markhall

RMS Regular
OP
Markhall
Drives
Ax gt, defender
It may work if he rips it off as soon as the mot dude sees the water squirt lol.

Robber

RMS Regular
Drives
Fiats mainly
Well it's only replacing a squeezy rubber button - semantics.

It tucks away into the parcel shelf, so it's not really visible.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Don't see why it wouldn't pass with that as long as it actually works.

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
Considering the original beetles washer were powered by the air pressure from the spare tyre that should be ok lol

Ceebl

RMS Regular
Drives
330d/C2 Loeb
Headlights off a bit in the GTI so i asked the tester if i could lower the front bags slightly to get them into spec, he was impressed with the air suspension and got me to park outside and lay it out so he could take photos lol

Robber

RMS Regular
Drives
Fiats mainly
Wasn't even asked for windscreen washers.

Failed on headlight pattern ☹️

Pulled out my MOT reports from previous years and all my previous testers had let it slide with a n/a. Not this guy.

Plan to have at them with insulation tape and try again on Monday.

Most embarrassing bit was at the start when the guy called me forward and I stalled and engine wouldn't start again cause it was hot. Had to wait 5 mins and let the guy behind me go ahead.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Wasn't even asked for windscreen washers.

Failed on headlight pattern ☹️

Pulled out my MOT reports from previous years and all my previous testers had let it slide with a n/a. Not this guy.

Plan to have at them with insulation tape and try again on Monday.

Most embarrassing bit was at the start when the guy called me forward and I stalled and engine wouldn't start again cause it was hot. Had to wait 5 mins and let the guy behind me go ahead.

Some boys can be sticklers, even for an old motor that's rarely going to be driven.

Past two years my MX5 has skittered itself either in the MOT centre itself or in the queue on the way in. Great banter...

Robber

RMS Regular
Drives
Fiats mainly
Bit annoying because a. I never use the lights, and b. the reason I never use the lights is that they are totally useless. The glow-in-the-dark bits on my watch are more likely to dazzle on-comers. Candles would be better.

He was dead-on, just doing his job I suppose. As a school teacher I feel obliged to fail him though:
IMG_20170513_153838548_zpssteq7op2_edit_1494699882762_zpswndeerbr.jpg

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Doesn't appear to be any pattern at all there. They're supposed to be pretty much level and flick half way up towards the nearside.

Attachments

• lights_diagram1.gif
    lights_diagram1.gif
    11.8 KB · Views: 86

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Are they correct UK headlights with proper bulbs fitted ?

Odd for there to be no real sign of a pattern at all. Does anyone offer a conversion or anything for them ?

Robber

RMS Regular
Drives
Fiats mainly
Thanks for the helpful replies, forgive my learning curve, I parked too close in the last pic. They are 47 year old Italian LHD headlights that don't match and can be spun around in their mountings! It's sheer luck that the light goes forward at all.

Had a futter tonight. Identified the part of the lense that flicked to the offside - could see it easily in fluttings - then covered that portion in duct tape.

Will bring the tape with me and offer to tape off more if they try to fail me again.

#fingerscrossed

Before & after:
PhotoGrid_1494798503846_zpse6ayr7vi.jpg

IMG_20170514_222512894_zpss16asfwi.jpg

Sonny

RMS Photographer
So driving a Range Rover I have become quite intimately familiar with my airbag light coming on when someone is in the passenger seat. 5 mins of messing about with the passenger seat position and no more airbag light :grinning:

Had to do this in my Megane

Steve C

RMS Regular
The headlight adjustment broke in my car and or failed because the beam was too low. I stuffed cardboard between the bumper and headlight unit to raise the beam and it passed the retest.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.