cheats to pass the MOT test that worked

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Broomy

RMS Regular
Drives
Mk5 GTi
I used to avoid Ards like the plague & use Downpatrick but Ards seems to have had a wee bit of turnover of staff the last while so I've been back to using them. In fact i'm on up Friday!

starletterry

RMS Regular
Drives
Cayenne, GT
Mines kmh at the mo was told to just get mph and stick over kmh.. or just rub/marker over the k so it will be just mh.. would this work.. also the rear fog light needs fitted cuz am unsure of the reversing red bulb.. it's for the test next week :rolleyes:
Sorry to say that this wont work. You need the dials to be dual marked (incase you ever take a trip down south or on the continent. Plus if you use stickers for the KMH both have to light up at night so you are better going with a set of dual dials rather than a sticker mess.

I had to get a new set of dual faces made for the clocks in the Legnum for MOT as it only had kmh

dingle

RMS Regular
Drives
C63 AMG
you can get mph stickers that go on the glass to compliment the existing km/h - It's really awful. Definitely just get UK clocks or the right face.
That said it really depends on the examiner, it's the sort of thing that could just slip through.

starletterry

RMS Regular
Drives
Cayenne, GT
you can get mph stickers that go on the glass to compliment the existing km/h - It's really awful. Definitely just get UK clocks or the right face.
That said it really depends on the examiner, it's the sort of thing that could just slip through.
I know you can but have heard of people being failed on those because they do not light up at night. When I had the Legnum up for mot, first thing the examiner done was shine his torch unto the clocks even before asking for the mileage.

dingle

RMS Regular
Drives
C63 AMG
I know you can but have heard of people being failed on those because they do not light up at night. When I had the Legnum up for mot, first thing the examiner done was shine his torch unto the clocks even before asking for the mileage.

I've been down this route a few times with MR2/GT4/Subaru and each time I just made the effort and got the correct dials or worst case get the speedo head of a UK car - Then it's done and you know where you are.
I think I did go through MOT with a sticker on the face of the MR2 clocks but that was once and it was years ago - I'd easily believe that they wouldn't pass this now.
You know how it is, some guys won't think twice and others will spot the import a mile off and be looking for this.

MarkP

RMS Regular
Drives
zafira :-(
Anyone tell me if having one of the two rear numberplate lights out is an Mot fail?

Michael M

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golfs
Ref the test centers. My brother had a Toledo years ago with the back box taken out and it passed MOT in Ards. He took it to D'patrick the next year and they failed it!

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
A car only needs one silencer, if it had that then there is no reason to fail it ( assuming exhaust in otherwise good condition and doesnt make a racket like some Hondas etc )

robert106

RMS Regular
Drives
172 clio
Last year I went to test with the original battery which had gone flat about a month previous, it worked no worries every day after so never gaveit a second thought, needless to say it ran out of electricty at the lights part of the test and couldnt muster enough to start the engine, failed me there and then.
Next evening with a new battery the re test was odd, fella did the brake test then rather than putting it up on the ramp, drove straight out of the test centre and disappeared for 15 min, then gave me a pass, but told me a ball joint was knocking and id be wise to get it sorted. How he knew what the noise was from the drivers seat, I dunno.

Boabybooster

RMS Regular
Drives
Skip
Last year I went to test with the original battery which had gone flat about a month previous, it worked no worries every day after so never gaveit a second thought, needless to say it ran out of electricty at the lights part of the test and couldnt muster enough to start the engine, failed me there and then.
Next evening with a new battery the re test was odd, fella did the brake test then rather than putting it up on the ramp, drove straight out of the test centre and disappeared for 15 min, then gave me a pass, but told me a ball joint was knocking and id be wise to get it sorted. How he knew what the noise was from the drivers seat, I dunno.
Probably doing a kebab run.

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
I have MOT in the morning in the Subaru, thought it was tomorrow night :worried: no time to swap the HIDs and plates now, great lol

VEN©M

RMS Regular
Drives
2011 Camaro SS
Pete, the camaro is up in the morning, just spliced in some DIY headlamp washers for the HIDs and taped on the legal plate!

Charlieboyoo

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M3 bmw M240i
I don't mind newtownards, downpatrick failed me on a blown taillight bulb which i thought was a bit mean.
I used to being the m3 to ards til they started hassling me.One year they said the spacing on the number plate was wrong.I said it's an m3 plate just one number rest letters.Then the following year they said the number plate numbers and letters where too small.I laughed and said it's been on the car since I bought it and nothing been said before.I go to Belfast now.No hassle at all.

VEN©M

RMS Regular
Drives
2011 Camaro SS
my DIY HID washer jets stopped working in the car park of the MOT centre, they were working fine 20 mins earlier at home. Plan B was a long shot.

Attachments

• IMG_2684.JPG
    IMG_2684.JPG
    138.1 KB · Views: 260

amcm1

RMS Regular
Stopping outside the centre and lifting dirt from the side of the kerb to throw over the oil leaking from a shock to hide that it was burst. changing wheels over the day before mot on a typical uk 200sx, jacked up, CRUNCH, big hole in chassis leg and bent into the floor. Prybar into the leg to pull it out and after 5 sheets out of the telegraph, quarter of a tube of sikiflex covered over with wax oil and it passed

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.