How can i insure an e46 m3??

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

CW E46

RMS Regular
ok, so i want an e46 m3. i was quoted 2.5k on my ni address and 1.5k on my scotland address. both too much!! im 23 with 4 years ncb

i have a few older relatives/friends (aged 40-50) who may consider insuring it and putting me on as a named driver (they would be the main driver of the car obviously ;)) i was wondering what the implications on them and they're no claims etc would be if i was to have an accident and it was deemed to be my fault!? is there any way they couldn't be affected??

and also, are there any other ways/loop holes whereby i could get insured on one of these cars for decent money??

thanks folks!

Jonny

RMS Regular
i'm 28 with full no claims and a countryside quiet postcode and i'm still getting quotes of 1200 it's a group 20 car, what is it you expect?

CW E46

RMS Regular
OP
CW E46
i dont expect to get good quotes on my name- hence the questions above and this thread in general?!

da.murf

RMS Regular
Drives
Nissan 350z
group 20 car lad, always gonna be ££££ afaik they would be affected ncb wise afterall it would be their policy

but others here might know better

CW E46

RMS Regular
OP
CW E46
couldnt they protect they're ncb?

i know nothing about this protected ncb malarky by the way, i've just heard the term thrown around

Graham2

RMS Regular
Drives
RS4
£1500 is pretty darn good for an M3 at that age. Have you taken in to account the running costs of an M3? Bloody dear things to run from what I've read!

IL

RMS Regular
Drives
981 GTS
6yrs ncb, 25yrs old, no points £1000 exactly for me (y)

also that includes my sis 28 and my mum and named drivers fully comp and for me to drive other cars 3rd party

Smick

RMS Regular
Drives
CLA45
I'm 25, with 4 years ncb and was getting quotes around £1900 for an m3. Seems to be what to expect now.
Other thing to be careful of, would you still be covered fully comp if you are just a named driver on the policy?
It may also even reduce your premium if you are the main driver but put on one of the older folk as a named driver.

m3doctor

RMS Regular
Drives
E92 M3 Coupe
I'm on my 2nd one of these puppies. Great cars, but the bottom line is costs are high, insurance is just the start. You need to factor in the cost of super unleaded, decent tyres every year, servicing, brakes etc and of course tax. At the minute my premium is down to £480 but thats taken a while to get to and I'm over 30 which prob makes the biggest difference. All that said, if you can afford it go for it buddy, you will not regret it.:grinning:

Bronk

RMS Regular
i was 24 when i got the m3.. was £1250 that was with 4ncb and axa

brendy

RMS Regular
I wouldnt go down the route of getting a mate to insure it.
If you cant afford to insure it properly, its not time to own one yet.
I had to wait 10 years to own an impreza. (granted a 20vt cupra and a 4.6 v8 X5 was on the driveway before, not so much the affordability as the insanity of paying a couple of grand to insure a car).

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
I was paying £1600 on mine when I got it at 27, clean license (at the time!) and no claims.

I would think £1500 is achievable these days, but don't get someone else to insure and have you as a named driver.

When you're getting a quote, stick your Mother on and I guarantee you the price will be much less than without her.

IL

RMS Regular
Drives
981 GTS
isnt the CSL much higher insurance grped than the run of the mil m3 cutter?

Seatenthusiast

RMS Regular
Drives
Seat Leon Cupra
£1500 is pretty darn good for an M3 at that age. Have you taken in to account the running costs of an M3? Bloody dear things to run from what I've read!

x 2, the running issues are often overlooked by alot of people buying these cars, unless you have deep pockets its madness imo, people wanting to have the flash but dont have the cash!

IL

RMS Regular
Drives
981 GTS
Brakes and tyres are expensive and you will go through them!

looking a £700+ for a set of tyres, rears are about £450 and last about 6k miles.

Brakes and servicing in dear, not to mention sensors etc...

Ball joints need full front arms replaced, looking at £280 a side for Genuine parts.

Seatenthusiast

RMS Regular
Drives
Seat Leon Cupra
Brakes and tyres are expensive and you will go through them!

looking a £700+ for a set of tyres, rears are about £450 and last about 6k miles.

Brakes and servicing in dear, not to mention sensors...

Ball joints need full front arms replaced, looking at £280 a side for Genuine parts.

6k out of the tyres at 450 quid a go............. :scream:

IL

RMS Regular
Drives
981 GTS
Thats how ive got on anyways, had 2 M3's and put on 3 sets of tyres, have needed changed 6-10k miles.

106lad

RMS Regular
Drives
M3 GT2 / 182
rears are about £450 and last about 6k miles.

Your mad if your paying that!!!

Brakes and servicing in dear, not to mention sensors etc...

Go to BMW youll pay BMW prices.

Put a bit of effort into finding the parts cheaper and you will. For Example a rear disc (on disc only) from BMW will cost the guts of £150+VAT. I managed to find a set, including shoes and pads (2 discs) for £140 Genuine BMW stuff in BMW Boxes too

Normally the people who say tyres are this price, brakes are this price etc, are not the ones who dont do one bit of research, and will pay that price!

Mark

Bronk

RMS Regular
there is cheaper alternative tyres out there..but you get what you pay for .. i have potenza's on the rear and i cant fault them in both the dry and the wet

Jason

RMS Regular
Good rear tyres will cost you £150+ Each, but as Mark says put the research in and you will find genuine parts for cheaper.

brendy

RMS Regular
couldnt they protect they're ncb?

i know nothing about this protected ncb malarky by the way, i've just heard the term thrown around

Thy dint protect their no claims bonus, you do and you have to pay a premium for that too. That won't endear you with the insurance people either because if you cause 100ks worth of damage and claims they still have to pay out.

IL

RMS Regular
Drives
981 GTS
I paid £400/ £180 each for Dunlop sport max + fitting.

I dread to think how much the STD replacement continentals are..

I don't know where else you would get sensors other than BMW? I needed a lambda sensor? Where else would I get one of those that plugs direct into the loom?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.