Illegal Number Plates

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

pablo

RMS Moderator
its now harder for joe public to get a numberplate - fact.
its now no more difficult for a criminal to get a numberplate - fact

where is the confusion?

my point with the plate tansfer is valid. due to circumstances beyond the owners control (in both cases the dvlni posting out the relevent paperwork) the owner is now (under the new laws) unable to get a plate to reflect the new reg mark.

Do you believe he is commiting a crime by driving on the cars original plates until he has said paperwork? If he is, the law is an ass.

ewok

RMS Regular
i was told by a police person friend that really they can only do you every 21/28 days for number plates is this true

Johnski

RMS Regular
its now harder for joe public to get a numberplate - fact.
its now no more difficult for a criminal to get a numberplate - fact

where is the confusion?

my point with the plate tansfer is valid. due to circumstances beyond the owners control (in both cases the dvlni posting out the relevent paperwork) the owner is now (under the new laws) unable to get a plate to reflect the new reg mark.

Do you believe he is commiting a crime by driving on the cars original plates until he has said paperwork? If he is, the law is an ass.

He bought the car from england therefore it had an english reg - fact

He got it re registered in an n.i plate - fact

So is it ok for him to drive about on the original english plate when its been re registered. Its common sense really pablo. If it was ok to do so then people would be allowed to have a multitude of registration numbers for the same car and chose whatever one they liked on any given day. Wouldnt work hence one registration number for one vehicle.

As I said I dont want to get into the dvlni's record keeping or their postal system, thats an issue he has to raise with the dvlni. At the end of the day its illegal to display an incorrect registration number for the vehicle.

i was told by a police person friend that really they can only do you every 21/28 days for number plates is this true

No thats not right.

pablo

RMS Moderator
If it was ok to do so then people would be allowed to have a multitude of registration numbers for the same car and chose whatever one they liked on any given day. Wouldnt work hence one registration number for one vehicle.

Now youre being silly. he is hardly picking and choosing, more of a temporary overlap until the paperwork comes through. Same as a cherished plate transfer. The law is preventing him from getting a plate so he will be working within the confines of the system with no sense to fraud or mislead.

Im sorry but for that to be seen as a crime is simply mad to me.

Johnski

RMS Regular
Now youre being silly. he is hardly picking and choosing, more of a temporary overlap until the paperwork comes through. Same as a cherished plate transfer. The law is preventing him from getting a plate so he will be working within the confines of the system with no sense to fraud or mislead.

Im sorry but for that to be seen as a crime is simply mad to me.

Pablo I've told you displaying the incorrect registration number for the car is illegal, working within the 'confines' of the system or not you should still display the correct registration number. The timing is an issue for the dvlni. You seem to have an issue with most of the posts I create when I'm trying to give advice on whats right and whats not. If you have a problem with the advice I post then either delete it or dont quote every single post I create.

Thanks

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Is Johnski rybo's new apprentice ?

As pablo says.....these number plate laws have done little to stop criminals on false plates. So really...what was the point ??? A stupid new law created only to cause more hassle to the average law abiding motorist.

The admin side of things mostly boils down to incompetence with the civil service in general, not being able to sort peoples paperwork in an efficient manner. 3-4 weeks ( or more ) to perform what probably only takes a few seconds at a computer...is a disgrace.

I wonder could a Freedom of Information request get them to explain in detail why this process takes so long ???

Johnski

RMS Regular
Is Johnski rybo's new apprentice ?

As pablo says.....these number plate laws have done little to stop criminals on false plates. So really...what was the point ??? A stupid new law created only to cause more hassle to the average law abiding motorist.

The admin side of things mostly boils down to incompetence with the civil service in general, not being able to sort peoples paperwork in an efficient manner. 3-4 weeks ( or more ) to perform what probably only takes a few seconds at a computer...is a disgrace.

I wonder could a Freedom of Information request get them to explain in detail why this process takes so long ???

Apprentice? and why would that be? you may be mistaking me for baxter or someone a lot younger stevie. Thanks anyway(y)

It looks as though more civil servants will be going into the social security service rather than the likes of the dvlni, for the government I dont think it'll be a priority for them in 2009:worried:

B A Baracus

RMS Regular
Drives
Fergie TVO
Reflective Number plates must be displayed properly and have sufficient lighting yes?

How come Buses and Coaches are allowed to display their numberplate behind a bit of clear perspex (which means it isn't reflective) and which isn't illuminated?

Gaz

This space available for rent
Drives
M4 Comp Pack
Thread closed. As usual, it's turned into a complete bitchfest and what could have been an informative and useful thread has taken a downturn. There's no point having a rant at police over this; they are paid to enforce the law, they're not responsible for coming up with some of the ridiculous changes to laws that we see.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.