Illegal Number Plates

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Deemc

RMS Regular
Drives
Hydro Is200
It was normal plates i had to get Toner.. Lol.. Need to show tax book and license..

Im sure there are still places were ya can get fancy plates tho..

Dee

Jonto

RMS Regular
OP
Jonto
Drives
finger up arse
you will get them on the net dee if your looking a set get looking quickly before they are shut down

Nazor

RMS Regular
Drives
306 Dimma
yeah my dads 605 passes with metro plates all the time. Although people will say just because it passes the MOT doesnt mean the po-po will take that answer/excuse they still going to do u for them.

stupid isnt it

avo5021

RMS Regular
yeah my dads 605 passes with metro plates all the time. Although people will say just because it passes the MOT doesnt mean the po-po will take that answer/excuse they still going to do u for them.

stupid isnt it

Its been raised with the testers many times, in reality they are permitting an offence by allowing a car onto the road that is breaking the law..

They are told that if they can read the plate from 67ft then they pass it..

Most (most i say) police wouldnt ticket you unless the plate is ridiculous...

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Its been raised with the testers many times, in reality they are permitting an offence by allowing a car onto the road that is breaking the law..

They are told that if they can read the plate from 67ft then they pass it..

Most (most i say) police wouldnt ticket you unless the plate is ridiculous...

We know a man who would :party:

Nazor

RMS Regular
Drives
306 Dimma
Avo what id be afraid of is the policing pulling me to check the car - example if it was sitting very low and then they dont find anything wrong and to save face they take a peep at my german style plates and then do me for that :worried:

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
If you know they are illegal.....then maybe that's the reason they will pull you over.

As said. Some cops would realise it isnt the crime of the century and not worry about it. Others would make it their priority.

g6rrrrr!

Drives
toyota
until i heard here that it's a pointable offence to display ilegal plates i was quite happy to run any/every risk if its a 'grey area' :oops: (but don't any more), and indeed i've been stopped a few times and told to take off the 12" sun strip, illegal tints, and stick the origional plates back on before i was let go any further :worried:. I have two friends who have been stopped for the same reasons and they both got fined! and the only difference is that i was polite, co operated, and didn't give any siht back to the cop.

moral of the story: theyr'e only doin their job and if you give them siht you get it back in the long run.

stubbsy

RMS Regular
Drives
old skool pre 96
and indeed i've been stopped a few times and told to take off the 12" sun strip,

not a bit of wonder they stopped ya with half your windscreen covered in double sided sticky tape;) its a wonder you could see where you where goin at all LOL

AMG

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Sorry to bump this up again, but I've another question to ask on this now!!

Bought a Vectra in England a week or so back, and sent all the documents off to Coleraine to get it taxed and registered. (I've chosen to put an NI plate on it now as well).
Got my details back yesterday with the new reg etc, but I now can't get a set of plates made until I get the tax book which can take up to 28 days or so they say. This now means I'm driving about in a car with "false" plates, so how exactly do I stand with that?

AMG

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
wouldnt worry about it, not like it cant be traced.

I've no doubt it can be traced, but could a jobsworth go to town on you for it if they felt like it?

I know an obvious thing to do is not to drive the car until it's sorted, but it wasn't bought to sit about!!!

Neil@rockvale

RMS Regular
They will send you out a V948 numberplate authorisation certificate so you can get your platesbefore the new book arrives.

AMG

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
They will send you out a V948 numberplate authorisation certificate so you can get your platesbefore the new book arrives.

Thats that sorted then, shows how well I looked at the documentation!! I found the tax disc and stuck it on the car, and put the rest away!!!:party:

Johnski

RMS Regular
Well it doesnt mean you shouldnt worry about driving around with the wrong registration number? just because it can be traced doesnt mean its ok to do it.

pablo

RMS Moderator
oh dear you thought you had me there,

he cant do anything about it so whats the problem? Its not like he is willingly trying to hide his identity.

Johnski

RMS Regular
oh dear you thought you had me there,

he cant do anything about it so whats the problem? Its not like he is willingly trying to hide his identity.

My reply would have been the same either way, its not a playground.

The problem is it doesnt matter if it can be ''traced'' or not, he'd still be driving about with the wrong registration number on.

People over the past few months have been up in arms over cars getting stolen, false registration plates are fitted to a lot of them, so in other words its ok to drive about on false plates, get stopped by the police and have them carryout checks etc because your legitimate and it can be 'traced'. In two words, ''no pablo''.(y)

pablo

RMS Moderator
so whats he supposed to do? yet again the rules that are supposed to stop crime do nothing but hinder joe public. mr crim wont give a crap as he can get any plate he wants made no questions asked.

pablo

RMS Moderator
Another point: if you buy a new reg and get it transferred onto your car the dvlni presumably post you out the relevent docs when this is complete. This may take up to 4 days (if over a weekend) so from the dvlni posting them (friday) to you receiving them (monday) you are (according to you) breaking the law. As the plate is issued to your car on the friday but you are driving around on the old plates.

Johnski

RMS Regular
Another point: if you buy a new reg and get it transferred onto your car the dvlni presumably post you out the relevent docs when this is complete. This may take up to 4 days (if over a weekend) so from the dvlni posting them (friday) to you receiving them (monday) you are (according to you) breaking the law. As the plate is issued to your car on the friday but you are driving around on the old plates.

Pablo theres no need to be smart. I cant answer for the dvlni's record keeping or the amount of time it takes for them to post out correspondance. If the dvlni have issued you with the new plate I assume that recieving the paperwork from the (for your own records) isnt going to prevent you from driving. Its a different story when someone drives about with the incorrect registration plate knowing they should be displaying another one which is why I posted today.

So the new laws make it easier for criminals to get plates and harder for joe public? pablo I think you should read the rest of the thread, read over the new laws and get back to me.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.