Integra wont start

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
I did this. Fully submerged the engine in muddy water. Don't do what I did and try to start it when there's water in there. Luckily the 4.0 AMC engine is hard as nails otherwise I probably would have wrecked it.

To get her going again I pulled the entire air intake off, cleaned and dried it, checked the TB and literally soaked it with half a tin of WD40, cleaned and then soaked.

Plugs out, cleaned and dried plugs, then emptied a full tin of WD40 into all the cylinders. Cranked it and then repeated with wet start. Pulled the distributor apart and soaked in wd40 and cleaned/dried then blasted it with electrical contact cleaner.

Cranked engine to let all the shoite come out the spark plug holes

Re-assembled and cranked the engine for about 3 hrs till it eventually started (exhaust was also full of water :oops:) Oh and I left the rocker breather disconnected till the steam stopped coming out lol

Works 110% now (y)

Lucky I bring all this guff with me lol

Hope that helps

That was just the engine too :worried:

Needed to replace pretty much all the fluids including gearbox, PAS, diffs, brake, engine oil, etc.

Captain Starlet

RMS Regular
OP
Captain Starlet
Drives
S2000
Thanks coog, i will get that stuff and try it tonight, is there much point taking the sump off to see if there is water in the oil?

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
I wouldn't take the sump off completley, but you may want to if you're a bit fussier than me. Most of the water in my oil came out when I disconnected the breather. I did an oil change though as soon as I got home.

bigsigh

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M2
Just out of a similar saga myself, E46 320d engine drank in a pint or two, i stripped out the air intake system and MAF dried everything out pulled the plugs and turned the engine over , two cylinders ejected water high into the air, dryed the plugs built her up and started the engine. it started with a LOT of effort, ...and blue smoke.... and noise !! oh the noise :grinning: sounded like someone sittin in the engine bay whacking all round them with a spanner LOL

Needless to say it was a new crank , 4 new rods and a new piston :worried:

I hope you have better luck than me , cuz i have head of people gettin away much more lightly , so it is possible (y)

r6kyl

RMS Regular
Drives
Tweed hat and sl
correct lol, they are garbage
so glad i didnt go for that filter now lol did this by any chance happen on the comber road (dundonald to comber)? was some serious flooding there. thanks to the j's i got home safe tho :p

Jonto

RMS Regular
Drives
finger up arse
yep this has happened to a few people i know not good at all

hope you get it sorted anyway mate

mrloaf

RMS Regular
Drives
Swedes
do you have an intake pipe close to the bottom of the bumper or something or is this a design flaw of the induction kit?

Graham2

RMS Regular
Drives
RS4
They lose power AND f*ck your engine, they should be destroyed!

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
do not crank the engine over.

Remove the plugs, and rotate the engine by hand first. Then if any water comes out, afterwards you can use the starter.

Captain Starlet

RMS Regular
OP
Captain Starlet
Drives
S2000
I think its a system that was predominately designed for the u.s. market which is a lot dryer than our climate, its not really a flaw just not suited to our weather. The filter sits above the splash guard on the driver side of the front bumper.

Mark_C

RMS Regular
did it die when under load? Or did it stop at all ?

taking in a fair bit of water under load generally = shafted.

Captain Starlet

RMS Regular
OP
Captain Starlet
Drives
S2000
When i came out of the puddle the car just died, ignition lights came up. So i stopped and towed it to a car park. It was missing firing all that day over 6000rpm but when i reved it to 8,000 it was fine, was only when under load that it miss fired. It was only after each puddle u suspect the misfire got worse

r6kyl

RMS Regular
Drives
Tweed hat and sl
knowing you its prob just an excuse to buy that jdm teg engine in the classifieds :grinning: you hit that puddle flat out with your fingers crossed didnt ya :p

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Sounds like it's probably going to be alright to me. Just a bit of damp in her. Strip, dry and wd40 everything and it'll be alright (y)

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Aye, a drop of wd40 shouldn't do it much harm, there shouldn't be much in it anyway after you've ran it with plugs out.

I'd be more worried if the engine was sounding like a bag of spanners falling down the stairs.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.