Lease deals thread

swansty

RMS Regular
Drives
Disco and Saxo
So the car is registered to the company and not yourself? This is interesting because if theres a chance of not paying BIK I might have a cheeky "pay" review :laughing:
The car will be registered to him. It's just a company discount scheme. Most big companies have similar discount schemes though not just in cars. The nhs and others promote such schemes. A car dealer offers a discount in return for the employer advertising the scheme to employees thereby generating extra trade. No BIK or any other nonsense

cormac81

RMS Regular
Drives
GTI, VRS, Superb
Just out of interest for those backing out of their lease deals, would you lease again? just curious as I'm looking at leasing a car with a local dealer and I'm weighing up the benefits and the negatives.

It probably has been mentioned somewhere in this thread but would GAP insurance be recommended? I am thinking it could be risky not having and the car got wrote off.. would I still have to make payments to make up any difference on values?

BobSpounge

RMS Regular
W
Just out of interest for those backing out of their lease deals, would you lease again? just curious as I'm looking at leasing a car with a local dealer and I'm weighing up the benefits and the negatives.

It probably has been mentioned somewhere in this thread but would GAP insurance be recommended? I am thinking it could be risky not having and the car got wrote off.. would I still have to make payments to make up any difference on values?

We're on our second lease even after hating the first car. We stuck it out for the full term though.

GAP is a must, not only for the vehicle value but if for example you had a 2 year lease and the car is written off 2 months in, you still owe them the remainder of the lease payments in this example 22 months.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Gap for sure, it's not expensive. Our lease has been great, I'm hoping we will get a chance to buy at the end, which will hopefully turn into a bit of a bargain.

cormac81

RMS Regular
Drives
GTI, VRS, Superb
No the dealer gap is a rip off. Go through ALA. There's an offer code on pistonheads. IIRC i paid about £130 ish for 2 years cover at about 10k.

Good man, the car retails at 32k should I cover up to 30k lets say? a quick quote with ALA comes back at £190 even at that level cover:scream:

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Yeah you're insuring just the difference between the lowest possible value of the car during the lease and the outstanding overall finance value. 10-15k should cover most stuff.

Chris Mac

RMS Regular
Drives
MK8 GTi CS
No the dealer gap is a rip off. Go through ALA. There's an offer code on pistonheads. IIRC i paid about £130 ish for 2 years cover at about 10k.

Just be careful, I was in a toss up between the ALA on my wife's new car and the dealer offered option, it was slightly more expensive to go for the dealer option but it covered you for a hell of a lot more.
It was maybe £100 dearer but covered for 5 years with a return to invoice price for the first 3 years.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Just be careful, I was in a toss up between the ALA on my wife's new car and the dealer offered option, it was slightly more expensive to go for the dealer option but it covered you for a hell of a lot more.
It was maybe £100 dearer but covered for 5 years with a return to invoice price for the first 3 years.

It's a 2 year lease so not really any need to go for anything beyond that.

bigpupcooper

RMS Regular
Drives
m135i, m40i
Plate off the lease car took 7 weeks...two mins on the tinterweb, but oh no sir, we need to post and process the lot. Be warned

jimcupra

RMS Regular
My neighbour just leased a golf r was having a look at it there. Some amount of car for very little money. I am still getting my head around it but it does seem like a great way into a new car.

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
I'd say we will always lease the main family car now. When you look at what I pay a month for a 30K Cupra it makes sense to me. Brand new and hassle free.
I was just talking to a mate in work who told me what he spends in a year on maintenance, tyres and repairs alone per year for his 11 year old Volvo. He could pay near 12 months on the Cupra with it.

Last edited:

Debaser

RMS Regular
Drives
Kuga ST-Line X
My neighbour just leased a golf r was having a look at it there. Some amount of car for very little money. I am still getting my head around it but it does seem like a great way into a new car.

That's the way the world seems to work now
More and more things seem to be owned on the 'never never'

Its all going to end up in another financial meltdown IMO

Call me old-fashioned, but I sleep happy knowing the cars on my drive are bought and paid for.....they are mine