My Winter Project - Old School Scooter

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Doovde

Banned
Drives
Nothing ford/VAG
Theres something awesome about cracking into a box full of new stainless bolts 8-|

StephenMcC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
i got a load of bolts for a minimoto off ebay same as them pretty cheap if i remember correctly.

DaddyCC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
whered you get all the bolts ebay? i need some too
How many do you need? I have an unopened bag of M4 versions (i think) of them lying in my da's house. (think its 100 bolts?)

forde

RMS Regular
Drives
Vectra SRi
dunno i was going to probably get a set of all different sizes so i would be able to take out of it as i needed!

have seen them on ebay just wondering if he picked them up local tho

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
Boltmeup on eBay. They do 'kits' for each bike but it's just a generic kit that he supplies for all makes/models. It was about £20 for the lot. Includes nylock nuts, nuts, washers and bolts.

forde

RMS Regular
Drives
Vectra SRi
on ebay you buy a tub of powder that you mix with water to make up the acid

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
One of the jobs I'd been dreading was repairing these chain guards. Dented, rusted through, bent. Complete nightmare:

IMAG0001.jpg

IMAG0003.jpg

Areofall managed to source me a couple of solid ones (thanks again)

IMAG0002.jpg

IMAG0005.jpg

First layer of colour on this evening:

IMAG0008.jpg

Thankfully I've very little left to paint now. Mostly all engine bits, air box, etc which I'll do later (much later).

mckeown

RMS Regular
Drives
mitsi outlander
looks a lot like building up a bicycle up until now
(headset etc). Nice project. love the colour!

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
It's very similar. Was chuckling to myself yesterday when I realised that the brakes on my push bike (hydraulic, vented discs) are better than the ones on my motorbike (cable, drums) PMSL :p

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
Spent a while thinking about what to do with the wheels. They're far from perfect but they're still solid and perfectly useable. Unfortunately new spokes and rims would have blown the budget a bit so for now I'm going to paint with an eye to a full rebuild in the future. I'm pretty set on doing the spokes and hubs black, leaving the rims chrome.

IMAG0020.jpg

I also ended up with another for parts and a possible future modified project... Just need to get her back to N.I.

$(KGrHqJHJBYE7)zGs+Y+BPEYwEvQbw~~60_12.JPG

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
Got two great quotes from anyvan so going to use them :grinning:

RMS_CLK

RMS Regular
Make sure you put plenty of tape inside the rims, when the spokes are old they have a habbit of puncturing the tubes.

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
Thanks for the advice. By tape do you mean the rubber strip? Replace and/or add more tape?

RMS_CLK

RMS Regular
Yeah well have a check underneath it and see how bad it is, but those tubes are real easy punctured. I'd just fire a load of gaffer tape round to be sure.

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
Wheels complete, just need rubber sorted. Going to really start building this thing on Sunday :grinning:

IMAG0021.jpg

My new bike was lifted today so whould have it by the end of the month all being well!

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
No worries Maurice, thanks for asking. Will probably pull it off the donor bike for now.

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
Slow progress today. Parts nor haynes manuals shows everything so there's a fair bit of guess work. Working out how the throttle cable connected was good fun. Panel fitment is also quite interesting!

Handlebars and ignition switch in:

IMAG0023.jpg

Throttle and front brake cable on as well as some of the plastics, speedo and light (trial fit)

IMAG0027.jpg

IMAG0026.jpg

Twain

RMS Regular
Is Paulie Senior in the background shouting at you whilst your building this? :p

Paul-Sr-orange-county-choppers-124499_800_600-300x225.jpg

forde

RMS Regular
Drives
Vectra SRi
you're putting me to shame lol i need to get mine worked on... i drained the tank on it today then i was feared of going to work on it tonite in the shed and using my superser cos its petrol fume city in there lol been busy building my speedfight back up for commuting duty though.

paint finish looks really good tbh did you do it yourself and what with?

wheels came out nice too

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
I've a wee parafin heater that's really good for the cold but I find that once I start into it I keep pretty warm anyway. Rattle can painted it in the garage and brought the parts inside to the warmth to dry. Majority of the time was spent sanding tbh, the painting bit was done in about a week.

Been mostly working on the engine this week, couple of hours a night got it sorted. It was in really good shape so I decided to replace a few seals and gaskets and go with it as-is for now.

IMAG0029.jpg

Reed valve was a little dirty but measured and working fine so quick clean and re-installed after this pic was taken

IMAG0031.jpg

The two outer casings for the engine are painted from the factory so I gave these a coat. Still to be finished. Main block of the engine is plain aluminium so all I've done with it is clean it up.

IMAG0035.jpg

IMAG0036.jpg

I hope to get the engine fitted this weekend. I've also about 3million new parts on the way to get it completed. Should be done for spring time :grinning:

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.