My Winter Project - Old School Scooter

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Twain

RMS Regular
keep the plastic fairing / guard thing off the front, looks better! :grinning:

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
Got the rear end started this afternoon. Missing more bits, bit of a pain so more delays in finishing. Getting there though :grinning:

IMAG0060.jpg

IMAG0061.jpg

PacMan

Banned
Drives
Impreza
Great thread Coog, know a guy who has a collection of step-thrus. Never seen him ride one yet though!

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
Probably too embarrassed. A mate once said to me that scooters are like fat chicks, great fun to ride provided no one finds out.

DaddyCC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
Great job there Cooger! Actually looks safe and respectable to ride now, well as far as them things go lol :eek::p

Maybe i missed it, but where did you get the seat, looks new?!

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
Thanks chum. As far as I know that's the original seat. It has seemed to have survived pretty well. Just gave it a clean and polish and it came up lovely :laughing:

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
Aaah the engine is becoming a wee bit of a headache tbh. Hopefully Areofall has found or will find a 69cc barrell pretty soon and I'll use that. Once I've got it I can get a standard piston & rings and finish the engine build and get it fitted pretty quickly.

If that doesn't work I will have to try and find an oversized piston and rings and then get one of the existing cylinders bored, which will be a real pain in the ass, especially as I start travelling next week. I'm also struggling to find the rings but I've struggled for other parts and found them alright.

Third option is much more of a headache, which is to use the 49cc engine out of my donor scooter and do a complete rebuild on it using parts I've already sourced. The only issue that'll give me is that it's going to be pretty expensive and the carb will need sorting out. My current wagon has manual choke and the 50cc one doesn't so there may need to be some tinkering there, I haven't really looked into it. Plus I'd also need to register the bike as a 49cc and get it checked by a man. The one advantage to all this is that I'm going to rebuild this engine eventually anyway (just didn't want to do it right now) plus I can go ride it straight away and without L plates or CBT, though to be honest doing the CBT may not be the worst idea in the world.

The last option is to buy a running engine. I missed a low mileage one go on eBay for £50 there a few weeks back that would have been ideal. I'd spotted it long before the auction ended but didn't think I'd have any bother finding a barrell so just left it. Kind of wished I'd just bought it to get the scoot going at least.

For the moment I'll hold out for the 69cc barrell and keep my fingers crossed. Once I've the engine sorted I reckon I can have the bike built in a weekend and hopefully running a few weeks after that.

Andy044

RMS Regular
Drives
^^^^^^
Fair play mate, some work has been put into that,
Kudos for doing it yourself,

Looks great, now time for a modified version also

areofall

RMS Regular
Had this out and running yesterday and fitted a few we bits. Wee 50's and the like are some fun, can't understand why more people aren't into them?

DSCN0514.jpg

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
That's absolutely stunning. What a lovely little bike.

I guess they're a bit of an aquired taste. I've only met a couple of folk who appreciate them, everyone else likes the fast stuff or italian scoots.

areofall

RMS Regular
That's absolutely stunning. What a lovely little bike.

I guess they're a bit of an aquired taste. I've only met a couple of folk who appreciate them, everyone else likes the fast stuff or italian scoots.

Scooters are toilets on wheels +o( You'll love the FR. Can't wait to get out a run on it, my mate Nicky will come out as well with us.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.