Project Old Skool Chopper

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

natogreen16v

RMS Regular
Drives
Stuff
Right folks, as if I hadn't enough going on with sorting the Polo and work and uni, etc I decided to start my chopper project. I duno how many of you will appreciate this but thought I'd post it up anyway. Here goes:
Got the bike on Christmas day for my birthday. Its an early 80s Yamaha XS 650. I hate the style of bikes the likes of OCC build (ugly, over the top unrideable heaps) so I decided to build an old skool bobber/chopper.
This is how I got it:
DSCF0031.jpg

Tonight after a day of doing a 5000word assignment for tomorrow, I decided to relieve my stress by taking the angle grinder to the bike. i cut the rear end off and ended up with this (ignore the mud guard as its too big):
DSCF0077.jpg

Then i took a high tunnel Harley Sportster tank and moved the brackets to make it sit higher and set it on for positioning:
DSCF0076.jpg

Thats all for tonite, hopefully get a few more updates soon.

P.S. All I'm using of the original bike is the engine and part of the frame so wheels, bars, forks etc are for the bin

natogreen16v

RMS Regular
OP
natogreen16v
Drives
Stuff
okay so i headed down to martys house tonite and when i arrived he had the basic frame welded. still need to do the brackets etc but you can see the basic lines of the bike forming.
DSCF0079.jpg

DSCF0080.jpg

DSCF0081.jpg

next up we made a box for the electrics out of an old oxygen tank. made it to look like an oil tank so it'd fill in the space in the frame nicely. this will house the electrics and switches, etc. below are pics of it and roughly where it will sit.
DSCF0084.jpg

DSCF0090.jpg

DSCF0092.jpg

i then striped the stupid looking headlight, clocks and indicators off the front and it looks alot tidier already. all getting replaced with a single Bates headlight.
DSCF0095.jpg

DSCF0087.jpg

now for the best news :laughing: I'm locating all the switches, ignition, etc to the electric box so all the bars will have are grips and levels AND because the bike is pre-1987 i dont have to use indicators :laughing::laughing: sweet :laughing:

natogreen16v

RMS Regular
OP
natogreen16v
Drives
Stuff
cheers brian. raging my old thread wont open. lost all my replies.

OCC would know how to build that.
they're current trend seems to be:
pick a frame, pick and engine, pick wheels and bars, bolt it together, paint it, pose for photos (n)

Brian

RMS Regular
Drives
Baby AMG
And a damn good job they make of the later bit also :p

But hell,,, its entertaining!(y)

KJS

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Tiguan
Looking cool dude!!!!

cheers brian. raging my old thread wont open. lost all my replies.

OCC would know how to build that.
they're current trend seems to be:
pick a frame, pick and engine, pick wheels and bars, bolt it together, paint it, pose for photos (n)

Dont actually agree on that completely man....imo
As the Older Son does design bikes, well along with other fabricators....
For example: the I-robot bike where most of the stuff like Head Lamp, Fuel Tank, Front and rear Fenders....etc were all custom made.
http://www.orangecountychoppers.com/allbikes/scrollpics/irobot/irobot_ex.jpg

natogreen16v

RMS Regular
OP
natogreen16v
Drives
Stuff
good point. i just hate their bikes. big show bikes that will never see the roads. completely over the top etc but thats just me. im into old skool chops and bobbers

Brian

RMS Regular
Drives
Baby AMG
ah that episode was funny actually

will smith getting onto one of the one of custom bikes etc and then announcing the last time he rode a motorcycle he had to dump it at 60mph or something :p

Brian

RMS Regular
Drives
Baby AMG
I think we should just turn this thread into a big OCC thread :p:p

</banter> sorry

marcusplowman

RMS Regular
Drives
Yes
Some of the ideas and work that goes into the OCC bikes is unreal! Wouldnt have one myself tho but love lookin at them!

Your mad not putting indicators on! I know you dont legally have to have them but for road safetys sake I definately would! Make sure those welds are strong too tho Im sure you dont need me to tell you that :laughing:

natogreen16v

RMS Regular
OP
natogreen16v
Drives
Stuff
my welding would be strong enough but i wouldnt consider it neat enough to be on show like this so im getting marty to weld it together. he's done this and trikes etc for years so all good :p i'll maybe put the smallest indicators on i can find but i've ridden before without them and its grand. people dont see you anyway (******s).lol

Deemc

RMS Regular
Drives
Hydro Is200
my welding would be strong enough but i wouldnt consider it neat enough to be on show like this so im getting marty to weld it together. he's done this and trikes etc for years so all good :p i'll maybe put the smallest indicators on i can find but i've ridden before without them and its grand. people dont see you anyway (******s).lol

Get the indicators Mc Giv has on the wings of the Punto lad.. They are the size of a 5p lol..

Better being safe than sorry..

Coming along excellent! Good Job!

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
great projct mate and as for indicators, they wont make a difference to most car users as they wont see them anyway, hand signals are still legal and at least someone would see ya sticking your arm out the side to turn :laughing:

Steveo@modifiedni

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi A3/Triumph
Oh feck yes!!

That, my friend is going to look awesome!

Cant wait to see more progress - 3 progress bike threads - as I said to Forde...lets take over the world.. maybe start with RMS though?

Deathhead

Drives
Fabia vRS
OCC stuff is all crap, its old skool where its at. Great job Larry.

Eddies

RMS Regular
Drives
Really well
it looks wild lad
see you cruising round it in very soon.:p
get it sorted.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.