quinn direct and driving other uninsured cars

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Marty Lad

RMS Regular
Drives
E46 M3
Was on the phone earlier to quinn direct getting a quote in my own name and i took the opportunity to ask about driving other cars. I asked if i could drive other cars on this policy, he said 'yes you can'. I asked if it mattered that my car was a 1.9 and the other car was a 2.0 he told me it didnt matter, then the real shocker; i asked if the other car had to be insured and said 'no, technically it doesn't as long as it's road legal i.e taxd and mot'd. Anyone had any experience of being asked to produce insurance or had an accident while driving another car that wasn't insured?

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
B A Baracus said:
The other car is only insured as for as long as you are actually in it and you are only covered 3rd P,F&T

Good point..

Would be worth checkin thoroughly to be sure though, as i think some companies only offer 3rd Party if you are driving someone elses car/uninsured car...

Marty Lad

RMS Regular
OP
Marty Lad
Drives
E46 M3
found it interesting that the other car didn't have to be insured for me to drive it though, always thought someone else had to be insured on it. Its only a cavvy sri anyway so it doesnt matter that its only TPF&T

ewok

RMS Regular
yeah thats right as long as the car is owned by the policy holder i am with quinn direct and on my policy it says any car owned by the policy holder

B A Baracus

RMS Regular
Drives
Fergie TVO
Marty Lad said:
found it interesting that the other car didn't have to be insured for me to drive it though, always thought someone else had to be insured on it. Its only a cavvy sri anyway so it doesnt matter that its only TPF&T

But it mightnt be insured if you leave it parked somewhere

Smick

RMS Regular
Drives
CLA45
yeah you are not covered TPF&T on other cars, its just third party only. If the other car gets nicked then its tuff titty.

Marty Lad

RMS Regular
OP
Marty Lad
Drives
E46 M3
ewok said:
yeah thats right as long as the car is owned by the policy holder i am with quinn direct and on my policy it says any car owned by the policy holder

so the ole SRi would need to be in my name as well then? what about driving cars that ARE insured in someone elses name then, will i be able to do that?

Smick

RMS Regular
Drives
CLA45
ewok said:
thrid party only. yes you can drive other cars as long as your over 25

Nah dont have to be over 25, Im only 21 and can drive others

Smick

RMS Regular
Drives
CLA45
Most of the time the insurance is more than the actual value of the car for young people, so if you had 2/3 cars it would prob cost you more to insure them than getting one stolen.

If the insurance company will cover you on an uninsured car then makes more sense not to insure the extra cars and just insure the most expensive one.

Think about it big lad!

Marty Lad

RMS Regular
OP
Marty Lad
Drives
E46 M3
you don't have to be over 25 to drive other cars with quinn, im only 18 and i asked when i got the quote. It wouldn't be worth my while claiming if an sri worth 800 was stolen off me, it'd put my insurance up something shocking, 2900 is bad enough!

Bronk

RMS Regular
same here..im insured with quinn direct and i can drive anythin and im only 21

big cyril

RMS Regular
eamon343 said:
So you could have a collection of uninsured cars, with only 1 insured?? Interesting

Nope, because you can usually only drive TP cars not owned by yourself.(At least that is the case on my policy)
There has been a lot of chat about this recently and I wouldn't be surprised to see it disappear as it does seem to be a loophole and I wouldn't really like to see it tested with a claim.

Smoore

RMS Regular
your policy on description of vehicle will say somethings along the lines of "any ONE vehicle owned by the policy holder" and page 6 of my quinn direct policy book says for driving other car one thing it says is the car has to be otherwise insured!your the second person on the forum to say this,ringing quinn direct and being told that!and because of what it say on your policy you would probably get past police by pointing out your covered to drive any one car owned by you,but i wouldnt like to have an accident,how do you prove what someone says on the phone?and how do you explain that when your covered to drive anyone car owned by you why are you insuring a saxo n driving a scooby?if you do get it in writing let me no i'll be on the phone to quinn

Smick

RMS Regular
Drives
CLA45
hmm doesnt say anything about the other car having to be insured on my policy. Just says you are covered as long as:
the car is not owned by your employer
you currently hold a full driving licence
vehicle is not leased or hired
use of the vehicle is covered on the cert of insurance (the 'you are permitted to drive other vehicles' bit)
cover for you is not provided by any other insurance (guess to stop you claiming twice from 2 companies for the same car)
the vehicle is in roadworthy condition

As Cyril says I think this loophole will soon disappear.

CapMan

Banned
Drives
Wait and see!
Marty Lad said:
Anyone had any experience of being asked to produce insurance or had an accident while driving another car that wasn't insured?
Never had an accident while driving another car in the way you described, but been stopped loads. Its pretty much ok, but as long as the car doesn't belong to you. If you say its your car when asked by the cop, then you will have to be covered by a policy on that car (unless you are on trade insurance). I drove cars all the time after buying them and taking them home etc., and if i was stopped i just told the cops it belonged to a mate and there was never a problem, until i got a producer and signed it, but the cop had ticked the box saying it was my car (which it actually wasn't in this case!) and so i was fined for not having insurance, all because of a cops mistake! (well, i did sign it lol :oops: )

ewok

RMS Regular
Smick said:
Nah dont have to be over 25, Im only 21 and can drive others

most are 25 now to stop muppets insuring a 1.1 flesta and driving a 325i or something

steeler

Drives
silvia s14
Your insurance only covers you when you are driving the other car, say you park the car at the side of the road and it rolls down a hill and hits a car you will be sued!!

I looked into the exact same situation with quinn, whatever you do dont take a car out on the road if it is not specifically insured by anyone its dodgy as ****.

revhard

RMS Regular
steeler said:
Your insurance only covers you when you are driving the other car, say you park the car at the side of the road and it rolls down a hill and hits a car you will be sued!!

I looked into the exact same situation with quinn, whatever you do dont take a car out on the road if it is not specifically insured by anyone its dodgy as ****.

Agreed aswell as being highly illegal.:relieved:

ak89

RMS Regular
Drives
200sx
I've heard talk of that loophole being scrapped with all new policies at the minute....

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.