quinn direct and driving other uninsured cars

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Cooper

Site Manager
Drives
C63 / Emira
Anyone ever had an accident whilst driving another car and tried to claim off their Quinn insurance?

steeler

Drives
silvia s14
The problem is say the car isnt insured in anybodies name but ur using your other policy with quinn, if you have an accident as soon as you get out of the car the police can do whoever owns the car with no insurance.

Insurance on other vehicles only covers you while driving, not while parked! -- Well quinns atleast.

Smick

RMS Regular
Drives
CLA45
Aye it all sounds good in theory but I wouldn't fancy making a claim, would be very messy i reckon

Gambit

RMS Regular
you (well, me) can drive any car TPFT that is MOT'd & Tax but not insured - the only thing being i cannot leave it unattended in any public place such as streets/carparks etc

i done this for about a month with an MX-6, and it was actually elephant that told me its perfect viable to do so aslong as the car is never left unattended in public places

they also mentioned the police thing, where if stopped just inform them of the situation and that you cant get outta the car. though i think you'd have a hard time trying to convince the police of this. i was never stopped luckily enough

daz06

RMS Regular
Drives
watevers at the
im 21 drive mr2 turbo,s and insured on almera sri 1.6 and ive had no probs for 3 years

Clare_GTi

Drives
Mini Cooper
oh i thought the other car had to be insured before you could drive it on your own policy! do quinn operate this aswell?

Clare_GTi

Drives
Mini Cooper
daz06 said:
im 21 drive mr2 turbo,s and insured on almera sri 1.6 and ive had no probs for 3 years
what happened when you wanted to tax your other cars then?
surely you couldnt use the almera policy for that?

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Gambit said:
they also mentioned the police thing, where if stopped just inform them of the situation and that you cant get outta the car.

LOL, it would never go that smoothly if the situation arose!

pablo

RMS Moderator
guys just because you got away with it doesnt mean its legal!

what would stop me buying 2 cars. a 1.1 metro and an impreza. insure the 1.1 metro for buttons and punt around in the scoob.

I may be wrong but given the anal nature of insurance companies in screwing us I find it hard to believe.

Smick

RMS Regular
Drives
CLA45
Clare_GTi said:
what happened when you wanted to tax your other cars then?
surely you couldnt use the almera policy for that?

Good point, think thats check mate shall we say!

neil205

RMS Regular
Drives
Cupra
im in the same situation with quinn and the definate answer is that the other car has to be insured, quinn are muppets and if u ring again and ask the same question then u will most likely get a different answer

CapMan

Banned
Drives
Wait and see!
pablo said:
what would stop me buying 2 cars. a 1.1 metro and an impreza. insure the 1.1 metro for buttons and punt around in the scoob
The other car (ie scoob) has to belong to someone else for a start

paddymcc

RMS Regular
Drives
C63
I think the insurance companies assume that by road legal the car must also be taxed. Based on this assumption insurance has to be in place first to get the car taxed so they are assuming that there must be an existing policy covering the car.

On my policy the other car you are driving 'has' to be taxed otherwise i'm not covered to drive it third party.

I would get it in writing from Quinn otherwise they'll be denying everything if it goes to court for an accident or stopped by the filth.

paddymcc

RMS Regular
Drives
C63
pablo said:
my 205 is taxed but not insured. I wouldnt drive it on the road

I wouldnt try it either but any cars i drive in such a way are covered under a trader's policy and i've only got a lend of my Celica because my 306 has a broken gear box :-#

PhilG

RMS Regular
i'm just off the phone to quinn there now. I've just set up a policy with them starting tomorrow. And my quote was £15 cheaper on the phone than on the net. Also when she was reading out the Terms&conditions she said "you are also covered on other cars 3rd party only, subject to terms and conditions stated in the policy cover notes".

therock

RMS Regular
pablo said:
what would stop me buying 2 cars. a 1.1 metro and an impreza. insure the 1.1 metro for buttons and punt around in the scoob.

seen a tv programme about a load of guys in the london area, all say 25 years old, all owned ferraris, and drove them all 3rd party with a fiesta as their "primary" car. Was pretty interesting!

pablo

RMS Moderator
ok - consider this (this has happened to me). A mate is driving my car. we get pulled by cops who ask for ins. mate shows them his insurance which covers driving another car 3rd party. cop happy enough on you go.

how often will they check that my car is actually insured by me? 1 in a 100 - you may even get by a producer in this way. Even in the event of an accident you *might* get away with it.

its a risk, some see it as a risk worth taking but I wouldnt personally. (assuming im right and the car needs to be insured by somebody)

m3rick

RMS Regular
Wish someone would clear this up.

I know people who buy and sell motors and seem pretty sure they're covered third party on them. If its really the case then we're all paying far too much for our insurance.
I was paying just under a grand on the M3 and it was only out weekends or the occasional evening and spent life in an alarmed garage.
So why not insure a 50 quid fiesta for £200 and fannys your aunt.

Is Keith Robinson off the site not in insurance?

Gambit

RMS Regular
pablo said:
ok - consider this (this has happened to me). A mate is driving my car. we get pulled by cops who ask for ins. mate shows them his insurance which covers driving another car 3rd party. cop happy enough on you go.

how often will they check that my car is actually insured by me? 1 in a 100 - you may even get by a producer in this way. Even in the event of an accident you *might* get away with it.

its a risk, some see it as a risk worth taking but I wouldnt personally. (assuming im right and the car needs to be insured by somebody)

you've sorta lost me on that one.

it didnt matter whether the car was insured by you or not. as long as your mate was correctly insured to drive it then he is the one liable in the event of an accident

pablo

RMS Moderator
Im saying that to technically illegal its prob easy to get away with hence so many people *think* its legal

Gambit

RMS Regular
but its not illegal. its perfectly legal to drive an uninsured car on the roads as long as you dont leave the car unattended in a public place - thats when it becomes illegal

i went thru all this with my insurance at the time as i found it too hard to believe also

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.