"Reasonable Force"

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

EDZ 7

RMS Member
Drives
BMW Coupe
What is 'Reasonable Force' ?

With all these toerags steeling cars at the minute , what would you do if you were wakened in the middle of the night to find this team steeling your pride and joy ?

Smog

RMS Regular
Maybe throw my keys at them at the most, dont really have a death wish

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
What is 'Reasonable Force' ?

With all these toerags steeling cars at the minute , what would you do if you were wakened in the middle of the night to find this team steeling your pride and joy ?

What would you do ? or what can you legally do ?

Legally....unless they are posing a threat to your own safety or another persons safety, you cant touch them.

Wonderful how our law works.

big cyril

RMS Regular
Realistically theres going to be two or three of them so you're at a disadvantage to start with, if you do manage to injure any of them you can be sure you're going to be jailed whereas if they injure you or manage to get the car the chances of them being caught is negligible.
Just roll over, back to sleep, check in the morning if it's still there or not then ring the police if it's gone.

Daz500

RMS Regular
Drives
Various Rovers &
I reckon I'd be pretty pissed to find anyone breaking into my car so chances are I'd go after them and wouldn't stop to think about the consequences. If they put me in hospital so be it and if I put them in hospital it's their hard luck.

rollinstone

RMS Regular
Drives
Old man car
Someone may defend themselves, close relatives, and in some cases property although this is a hard one to justify. Anything done must be proportionate for example if soneone was to slap you and you beat them with a pick axe handle it wouldnt be justifiable.

EDIT: Best thing to do is phone the police, its not worth rockin out to get a beatin from some wee scrote who doesnt care if they cause you injury.

Rocko

RMS Regular
Drives
Pure Soul
Kill them, drag them into the back field, dismember and bury, use them to grow my tomatoes on.

Realistically, let them take it. Im not getting a screwdriver in the heart for a car.

Rik

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E46 M3
Depends on the situation really, when my house was broke into and all the guy seemed to have was a bottle to swing at me, I went for him, then was able to get 2 butchers knife's from the kitchen and stand at the front door then I noticed there were 4 car loads of them. I stood at the front door with 2 massive knifes I remember exactly how I felt nothing short of having a gun was going to be able to get past me to go upstairs for my keys or whatever.

But if I arrived home and a few of them were at my car with screwdrivers or whatever I wouldnt say boo I dont think.

hippyross

RMS Regular
i leave my car open so they dont brake the window or punch the lock, as soon as they get in they will see the lock round the gearstick and walk away, they would need a sthil saw to get it off

Marc.W

RMS Regular
Drives
Lupo GTI
'Every action has an equal and opposite re-action' if they are prepared to hurt me I am more than prepared to do the same to them

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Oh there'd almost certainly be windmilling involved.

Seriously though... hard to know what way you'd react, I'm usually fairly calculated and don't tend to panic so probably not do anything just make sure the mrs is safe. Touch her and I'd probably be happy enough to pound on them with a breaker bar for a good 15 mins, or until my arms get sore. Legal or not I'm sure everyone would do time to help if loved ones were getting a doing.

Rocko

RMS Regular
Drives
Pure Soul
Oh of course, if the family are in danger, get a set of keys in your hand and make em count.

DUB_MK3

RMS Regular
release-the-hounds.jpg

collyirwin11

RMS Regular
Drives
RS/Mk2 GTi
as mentioned i reckon i would probably just let them have it, although its my pride and joy, i can always get another. however if numbers where even or i had an equal or greater offensive weapon then i would maybe consider confronting them, then giving myself a black idea so i can claim self defence

EDZ 7

RMS Member
OP
EDZ 7
Drives
BMW Coupe
as mentioned i reckon i would probably just let them have it, although its my pride and joy, i can always get another. however if numbers where even or i had an equal or greater offensive weapon then i would maybe consider confronting them, then giving myself a black idea so i can claim self defence

I'm sure a few members on here have legally held Firearms , and as such wouldn't be afraid to use them .
A Cop once told me to keep a 'Clean' replica in the house so it can be planted on the intruder after you shoot him. - One statement is easier to deal with than two .

Rocko

RMS Regular
Drives
Pure Soul
You'd still be looking at time I would guess. Look at Tony Martin. The man should have been given a knighthood, not imprisoned for 3 years.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
at the end of the day..this is the reason y we pay insurance :worried:

No. The reason we are forced to pay insurance to corrupt companies is for 3rd party cover. To cover others you might injur whilst driving..Everything else is optional....well, it used to be. Now they almost force fully comp on a lot of policies too.

Or oddly...if someome steals your car and crashes into someone. Even though you arent driving it, that still comes out of your insurance.

Either way, you get screwed. And the car thief never has to pay a penny, and usually doesnt get caught either.

IMO, like the US, you should be able to use force to stop anyone interfering with your property, or presenting any threat whatsoever to your safety.

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
Depends on the situation, if it was a car jacking I'd certainly have a go.. Waking up to find them in my bedroom I'm not so sure. You won't be capable of reacting.

I seen a story on a mini forum in England where a guy heard scum break into his house, he waited behind the door with his bedsheet and threw it over the scum when he opened the door, completely disabled him, was fit to get him on the floor and keep him there until the cops arrived (y)

santoz

RMS Regular
Drives
VRS, Clio 182
Pre-emptive Strike is a good but hard part of self-defence law!

If you have sufficient reason to believe that they pose a large enough threat to you, your family or your property you can really do anything you feel yourself is 'reasonable' as long as if they try and escape you can't go after them.

Basically its how you word your statement and what you say when dialing 999, I dislocated a lads shoulder one night working and clearly stated when the report was being filed that I felt like I didn't use enough force for the threat even though he ended up worse off. Leading to us being able to press charges if we wanted even though I had no injuries.

Also, the weapon has to be similar or equal; i.e. if they pull a knife then you can use a knife or something similar but once you've 'disabled' them you have to stop. So in essence make it look like they had the upper-hand and goto town, causing fear in itself is technically assault and a force of action can be
put into place!

Points to note:
1. Take no ****
2. Make sure they weren't 'trying to escape'
3. Theres pressure points that can be used on people that feck them up, hurts like hell yet leaves no visable trace ;)
4. Another thing, if they can't remember it well...

Another note, if everyone just sat back and said 'oh, insurance will pay for it'; crime would spiral out of control. Remember the police have no responsibility in this country to protect you, and if they feel there in danger they will let you be killed. People have to unite for justice imo (y)

Nigelo

RMS Regular
Fast boil kettle, or a load of MrMuscle plug hole unblocker out the window at them....

anlygi

RMS Regular
Drives
FN2 CTR
It's hard to tell what you would do until you are actually in the situation and the adrenaline takes over. My family are my pride and joy, not a heap of replaceable metal. I wouldn't risk my life over a car, but threaten my family and i will defend them until the death by any means necessary.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.