"Reasonable Force"

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Sgt_Major

RMS Regular
Drives
E81 123d
I agree, totally.

But it's going to be difficult not to have a negative public impression when all they know/see/hear is there was a van with cops in it sitting up the street watching.

santoz

RMS Regular
Drives
VRS, Clio 182
Health and Safety Executive caused outrage by declaring that officers confronted with dangerous situations-while fighting crime or trying to guard the public 'may choose not to put themselves at unreasonable risk'.

Its guidance published yesterday firmly plays down the need for officers to show bravery in the course of their duty if they make a 'personal choice' not to.

It states: 'There is often an unrealistic public expectation that officers and staff will put themselves at risk to protect the public.'

The document concedes that 'very occasionally in extreme cases', police may be justified in putting themselves in jeopardy - in which case they may be let off without being prosecuted under health and safety laws.

This has being in legislation since 1998.

A good case is the one below:
"Obligations of Police to Protect Life
Hertfordshire Police v Van Colle [2008] UKHL 50 (30 July 2008)"

santoz

RMS Regular
Drives
VRS, Clio 182
The problem with this is that:

a. the public cannot take the law into their own hands

b. you cannot rely 100% on the police to protect you

The only people who gain from this are the Criminals, but if people stand up and cases goto court; public power will prevail so the only way to stop the HSE eijits is to do what you can to defend yourself.

Another thing, when we run/work large events the police have no jurisdiction within the event; any arrests or problems have to be dealt with outside our area or with our permission.

EDZ 7

RMS Member
OP
EDZ 7
Drives
BMW Coupe
Just found this in the Bible - In the Old Testament, under the laws provided to the newly liberated Hebrews, Exodus 22:2 states, “If a thief is caught while breaking in and is struck so that he dies, there will be no bloodguiltiness on his account”

I think this is where 'Castle Law' and 'Make my Day Law' comes from .
Have a look in your Law Book santoz.

Think ill do it Dirty Harry style if i confront an intruder !!

W9NGJ

RMS Regular
the thing down in portadown, was it not more of the point that the police told the fella/ fellas to get rid of their clothes? maybe a different time?

Mark_C

RMS Regular
Bo11ox

The number one priority as a police officer is "To protect Life"
How dare you, I suggest you check facts before you go to print.:mad:

To be fair it is, but - the parents of a mate of mine were recently attacked and confronted at gunpoint in their home, and the law wouldn't attend in case it was an ambush. That's according to one of the persons who was attacked, so might be wrong etc.

FAKER

RMS Regular
Drives
loadsa stuff
To be fair it is, but - the parents of a mate of mine were recently attacked and confronted at gunpoint in their home, and the law wouldn't attend in case it was an ambush. That's according to one of the persons who was attacked, so might be wrong etc.

To be fair the powers at be will not send one car with two officers on board into certain areas where there is a high risk of an ambush/attack.

If you can tackle someone who is taking something belonging to you then well and good, so long as you dont use any more force than what is needed to restrain that person untill the police arrive. Citizens arrest. bearing in mind that scroats are not that forgiving and might return and dish out a little payback.(y)

BIGDAVE

RMS Regular
Drives
audi a7
so what is reasonable force, if scumbag came into my house and tried to turn me into a tea bag can i do the same to him only with a bigger knife and i a mean BIGGER knife lol

Marc.W

RMS Regular
Drives
Lupo GTI
i dont wear a mask and my weapon of choice is a pen knife

Is that when you ask them to play knifey spooney?

knifey-spoony-6582.jpg

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.