Smart Parking Limited parking fine

ShaunB

RMS Regular
They're still send letters to my wife, seems every 6 months or so. Latest one yesterday, that's about 14 months now

Gaz

This space available for rent
Drives
M4 Comp Pack
By the way the advice regarding ignoring these letters / wiping your arse with them or whatever else you do with paper that's posted through your letter box should be treated with caution.

Ignoring them doesnt work on a lease car and presumably company and hire cars.

The lease company will ask for your input then settle even if you argue against it and provide all sorts of evidence. As a final kick to the plums they will add a significant admin charge on top.

Fortunately I got it reversed but it took an almost nuclear approach, an admin error on their behalf that I discovered and it wasted at least half a day. This was after the money was taken from me as well.

YBW

You’re correct, the enforcement letters are sent to the registered owner of any vehicle - I would have thought though that it was fairly common sense that the thread was focusing on those who have received the letters directly.

If you don’t own the vehicle - be it a lease or company car or whatever - then the letter will have gone to the firm who provided the vehicle and what you will have received from them is likely a copy of the enforcement letter, a letter from them also stating their displeasure at the fact, and likely also an admin fee for them managing the incident as per their T&Cs - on top of the original parking fee. I don’t think anyone in the thread was advising to ignore letters from lease firms or similar providers when there is a penalty.
They're still send letters to my wife, seems every 6 months or so. Latest one yesterday, that's about 14 months now

They’ll keep trying as a letter costs little to send, but happily for you, you can keep ignoring!

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
You’re correct, the enforcement letters are sent to the registered owner of any vehicle - I would have thought though that it was fairly common sense that the thread was focusing on those who have received the letters directly.

If you don’t own the vehicle - be it a lease or company car or whatever - then the letter will have gone to the firm who provided the vehicle and what you will have received from them is likely a copy of the enforcement letter, a letter from them also stating their displeasure at the fact, and likely also an admin fee for them managing the incident as per their T&Cs - on top of the original parking fee. I don’t think anyone in the thread was advising to ignore letters from lease firms or similar providers when there is a penalty.

They’ll keep trying as a letter costs little to send, but happily for you, you can keep ignoring!

If I remember correctly we received a letter that was addressed to the lease co but nothing else. Assumption at the time was that they passed our details on.

Issue dealt with directly with carpark owners but resolution didn't filter to the right people in either lease co or parking co. Second letter was accompanied and included admin fees, previously missing from letter no. 1.

So plenty of engagement required to sort and definitely not good advice to ignore. Just for clarity and common senses sake of course lol

wackojacko12

great reading here .... at the abbey centre, if you choose to ignore these fines .... on return to the centre is there a risk of being clamped ... ? as you number plate is on their system ... ?!

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
As far as I know they are not patrolled so to speak, its the ANPR camera in the area which dishes out the fines

wackojacko12

As far as I know they are not patrolled so to speak, its the ANPR camera in the area which dishes out the fines
thanks ... i have contacted the abbey centre management team to see can they overturn this ridiclous fine / invoice ... the car image within the fine only shows the number plate ... it doesnt show the windiscreen / driver .... does this company keep actual cctv recordings to prove who was the driver ... ?

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
Ignore the fine unless its genuine and you over stayed but they cannot be legally enforced

wackojacko12

Ignore the fine unless its genuine and you over stayed but they cannot be legally enforced
its genuine in that i overstayed by 22mins (in a free car park ... ?!) ... but again how can they prove who was the driver if the photo doesnt indicate ... ?

PDK

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E92 & E46
It’s only a free car park for a designated amount of time. This is where they try to get you.

wackojacko12

thanks for all replies .... is it worth communicate through local CONSUMER COUNCIL to have the fine overturned ... ? i am all up for ingnoring etc .... however dont want a risk of being clamped in future ... we would plan to revisit the Abbey Centre again at some stage
throw it in the bin dont engage the company

Snoopcousins

RMS Regular
Drives
M3
This has been done to death.
You have already been given the correct advice to not pay it as no legal right- tho you will have to put up with a few letters for a few months that you can put in the bin.

If you want to engage with whoever to overturn it it’s up to you or want to pay it it’s up to you.

Gaz

Drives
M4 Comp Pack
thanks for all replies .... is it worth communicate through local CONSUMER COUNCIL to have the fine overturned ... ? i am all up for ingnoring etc .... however dont want a risk of being clamped in future ... we would plan to revisit the Abbey Centre again at some stage

As has been well covered in this thread, just ignore it. You are at no more risk of being clamped than someone visiting there for first time. I’ve had 3 of these smart parking letters now and I continue to use the car parks on Boucher road with no issue. Contacting management/councils/etc is a complete waste of time as they have no control over this parking fine and will simply pass the buck back to Smart Parking.

biffy.2008

RMS Regular
Drives
yaris t-sport
Imagine an “Rms meet” in prison when we all get caught for not paying parking fines 😂

There’s 2 options, if you’ve enough money and it’s worrying you….. pay it.

If you don’t have enough money and listen to everyone’s advice who haven’t paid it, including myself. It’s not enforced here so nothing can happen to you, it’s a private company who are scaring people for Christmas bonus’s haha.

PDK

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E92 & E46
EB6927DB-2E22-4191-AA6F-DC1EC23D1ABD.jpeg

Received this today. Take it still ignore?

Gaz

Drives
M4 Comp Pack
View attachment 377159

Received this today. Take it still ignore?

Yes. Will make decent toilet roll.

That's an interesting new technique - they put the word 'bailiffs' in the company name to put the frights into people, but then add the disclaimer at the bottom (which they legally must do) "This case is not subject to high court or bailiff action".

So in other words, 'bailiffs' in their company name is meaningless, they could just as well write Cheeseburgers R Us. I guess it makes a change from the usual scare tactics such as the scales of justice image.

Eddies

RMS Regular
Drives
Really well
I got my 3rd one recently different debit company. With a page saying how people/forums online are wrong and they'll take me to court. The fine went up 60 quid so it's small claims and they posted it 18 days late 🤣.

If it was any way legitimate they would ay least ring but instead try to send red warning letters.

AMG

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Just pass the details onto the consumer council of ni, they will contact the company and no more letters.
No doubt you can keep ignoring, but at least they put a lid on it.