Smart Parking Limited parking fine

Eddies

RMS Regular
Drives
Really well
I know the bit of waste ground on down the street used to be free then they set up a payment desk at it now its smart parking. Complete pita as it was handy for stopping to grab food without all the one way system trying to park.

southsky sunrise

RMS Regular
Drives
Old skool
Close thread…. Portugal 2006 riding in a lane reserved for electronic toll collection without a valid tag or subscription… you think they’ll come looking me or put out an apb at the airport over £15:36 🤦😂😂
IMG_1500.jpeg

salster

RMS Regular
Drives
mini
guys received a letter about parking at the ulster hospital in october. i have binned 2 since but received a different one today about court proceedings to be lodged at lagenside courts belfast. do i bin this one as well?.

Attachments

• 20240129_183315.jpg
    20240129_183315.jpg
    254 KB · Views: 0

DaddyCC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
Hmmm, it's still all threatening talk. They are going to recommend to their client (hospital) to lodge proceedings. Whether the Trust do or whether they continue to write letters is a big question.

Snoopcousins

RMS Regular
Drives
M3
They can’t take the owner of car to court , has to be the driver , and they have no powers to demand you to tell them who was driving.
I think that’s the difference to mainland - they can take the owner to court

VEN©M

RMS Regular
Drives
2011 Camaro SS
I contacted the consumer council for NI on my dads behalf regarding his fine. they said they couldn't intervene as it was outside their time frame. I followed up and asked were they aware of anyone in NI actually being successfully taken to court . Their response:

"Your remaining options are as follows:

• Pay the PCN.

• Ignore the PCN. Legally, Smart Parking Ltd can take this to court however we are only aware of them having taken 2 people from Northern Ireland to court for what we understand were an excessive amount of unpaid PCNs."

RoniN

RMS Regular
guys received a letter about parking at the ulster hospital in october. i have binned 2 since but received a different one today about court proceedings to be lodged at lagenside courts belfast. do i bin this one as well?.

Cheers

gpaevo

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi B9.5
Anyone any experience of a Smart Parking fine coming through the lease company?

I assume just ignore as normal? Funny thing was, the fee at the time was paid and is recorded on bank statement 🤣

Gaz

This space available for rent
Drives
M4 Comp Pack
Same advice as before. All debt collection agencies are the same - scummy scaremongering tactics and implicit (and sometimes explicit) threats of big court action. They are companies out to make money, with no legal power - that's all. I could start one tomorrow.

Until you get a formal notice from the Courts, from the Police, or some other actual authority - f**k them.
Anyone any experience of a Smart Parking fine coming through the lease company?

I assume just ignore as normal? Funny thing was, the fee at the time was paid and is recorded on bank statement 🤣

Unfortunately lease companies (like Fleet hire and so on) tend to do things by the book, so they will usually respond to these cowboys and pass liability on to you.

That will act as opening communication with them, but after that, once they start contacting you directly, I'd still ignore them.

And remember, these aren't fines. A fine by definition :
"A fine or mulct is a penalty of money that a court of law or other authority decides has to be paid as punishment for a crime or other offense"

The companies issuing them have no authority or power within the law. These are invoices you never asked for, and people need to think of them as such.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
I wouldn't ignore fines through a lease company.

My personal experience was that if there's no contact the lease company pay the fine on your behalf, add an admin charge or fee and then take it off you. I guess it's the same as if it was any other sort of fine.

We don't park in such a way that it inconveniences others or businesses, I play the game and therefore never receive these or have any other real world experience with them, however mrs Coog did get one because she didn't 'check in' at a place down Boucher somewhere (despite me telling her to make sure she does ffs). The first letter was lost in the post and by the time I got wind of it it was up to £182 and had already been paid. The lease company then took it from us.

I did manage to get it all reversed but it was a massive ball ache.

In your case you do need to get in touch. I definitely would not just ignore it or basketball the letter.

Graham2

RMS Regular
Drives
RS4
Wife is a nurse in the Ulster and parked my (previous) car without paying for a ticket, it was on a business lease so they have got our details off the leasing company and are now sending letters here. Latest one is from ZZPS and QDR Solicitors and has mentioned Laganside Courts, letter is identical to the one @salster posted previously. I've ignored these letters before in other circumstances when it was not a lease car, but don't want to f-up the business credit if they can actually bring legal proceedings against the business. Can't find an awful lot online specific to a business being threatened but what I have found has been the same advice as personal, just ignore it.

Has anyone else been in the same situation and they've eventually given up sending letters?

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
Wife is a nurse in the Ulster and parked my (previous) car without paying for a ticket, it was on a business lease so they have got our details off the leasing company and are now sending letters here. Latest one is from ZZPS and QDR Solicitors and has mentioned Laganside Courts, letter is identical to the one @salster posted previously. I've ignored these letters before in other circumstances when it was not a lease car, but don't want to f-up the business credit if they can actually bring legal proceedings against the business. Can't find an awful lot online specific to a business being threatened but what I have found has been the same advice as personal, just ignore it.

Has anyone else been in the same situation and they've eventually given up sending letters?
Surely the onus is on the driver, not the registered keeper?

Daviddunlop83

RMS Regular

Throw it out. They cannot collect a debt in N.Ireland for these private parking companies.

QDR solicitors don't even list an address on their website ffs.

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
I think one of the earlier letters was requesting the driver details.
From my experience in a car registered to a business on mainland. The car owner binned the first paperwork, then gave my details when that request was made which then meant letters came to me. They all went in the bin and neither myself or the press office had any issues without payment.