The Supercars In Northern Ireland!

roverspeed

RMS Regular
Drives
Insignia
No NI, but I saw 4 Teslas within half an hour of Liverpool airport this morning. Are they that popular?
pretty much every airport taxi in Amsterdam is a Tesla, i think they get huge tax breaks there.

Or rather, normal large cars get huge tax burdens

Richy

RMS Regular
Drives
E55
Think I seen a dark possibly purple P1 in Gilford on Saturday, pretty sure it was a P1 and not a 12C.

chris_b

RMS Regular
Drives
A car
As I say, you really need to know what you're looking at to tell them all apart.
I would love to be wrong but don't believe there is a P1 here???

IMG_9827.jpg
IMG_9828.jpg
IMG_9829.jpg

Last edited:

DavidY

RMS Regular
Drives
his wife mad.
I think part of the problem is that a lot of people are putting newer wheels off the 540/650 etc on their MP4-12C's and it hugely updates the look of them. Makes you question your knowledge. Also, it doesn't help that these sort of cars are almost exclusive in terms of their appearance seeing as customers are buying them long before they are on the production lines they get customised individually. So it's not like you can recognise the car by its common wheels, colours etc.
I find it absolutely insane that the likes of Aston Martin have simply done minor appearance updates for the last 15 years (Since the DB9 came out at least). Almost all of their cars look the same. It's a shame that Mclaren are following suit and not really producing individual supercars that really stand out. Then again, Porsche have been doing it for decades! If the formula works I suppose....

Tufty

RMS Regular
Drives
RS3/RS4/S6
Think I seen a dark possibly purple P1 in Gilford on Saturday, pretty sure it was a P1 and not a 12C.

That`s the one i passed on the roundabouts. I thought it might be the guy on here who has the white V10 R8 maybe he upgraded.

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO

Taz007

RMS Regular
Drives
E92
That`s the one i passed on the roundabouts. I thought it might be the guy on here who has the white V10 R8 maybe he upgraded.

if so thats one hell of an upgrade goin from a circa 100k R8 to a 1.5 million P1 haha. Mclaren have the 650s replacement arriving soon and its called a P14. Doesnt look great though:

c3k05edxaaedp4i-1.jpg

Gaz

This space available for rent
Drives
M4 Comp Pack
I think part of the problem is that a lot of people are putting newer wheels off the 540/650 etc on their MP4-12C's and it hugely updates the look of them. Makes you question your knowledge. Also, it doesn't help that these sort of cars are almost exclusive in terms of their appearance seeing as customers are buying them long before they are on the production lines they get customised individually. So it's not like you can recognise the car by its common wheels, colours etc.
I find it absolutely insane that the likes of Aston Martin have simply done minor appearance updates for the last 15 years (Since the DB9 came out at least). Almost all of their cars look the same. It's a shame that Mclaren are following suit and not really producing individual supercars that really stand out. Then again, Porsche have been doing it for decades! If the formula works I suppose....

Aston have milked that cow for a long time alright, at least with the new DB11 they're finally moving into a new design both in terms of aesthetics and also engine/chassis/transmission. It shares some parts with Mercedes but that's probably not a bad thing,

I don't think McLaren are being lazy about design as such, I think they're finally just settling on a corporate face after taking a little while to find their feet. The MP4-12C had a fairly different front end to the later cars, which all seem to ape the P1's look.

F1 aside, they've really only become a player again in the supercar/hypercar market with the launch of the MP4-12C, and that was only in mid 2011. They've come a long way in just over 5 years, so I expect the next generation of McLarens will see a design change.

ka88

RMS Regular
Drives
Porsche 997 C2S
Aston have milked that cow for a long time alright, at least with the new DB11 they're finally moving into a new design both in terms of aesthetics and also engine/chassis/transmission. It shares some parts with Mercedes but that's probably not a bad thing,

I don't think McLaren are being lazy about design as such, I think they're finally just settling on a corporate face after taking a little while to find their feet. The MP4-12C had a fairly different front end to the later cars, which all seem to ape the P1's look.

F1 aside, they've really only become a player again in the supercar/hypercar market with the launch of the MP4-12C, and that was only in mid 2011. They've come a long way in just over 5 years, so I expect the next generation of McLarens will see a design change.
A friend of mine works on the paint line at McLaren and I am very surprised to hear the stories of poor build quality, rushing cars through, P1s leaving full of filler etc. I would have expected more.

On the other hand, they received an email saying that now BMW are back on board they are going to remake the McLaren F1. I am extremely excited and am trying to think of every possible way I can buy one :grinning:

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
In your defence you would need to be quite the spotter to tell them all apart from one another.
I can never tell what is what with them, in fairness though I drove the door handles off an mp12 and it is the only supercar I think id enjoy on our roads, hopefully getting a squeeze in the latest range soon

Gaz

Drives
M4 Comp Pack
Yes start production of the F1 again

I very much doubt that is going to happen. I thought you meant an F1 successor (which was arguably the P1 anyway), but you mean they're actually going to being producing the original F1 again as an extended production run? It makes absolutely no sense.

Are you sure he didn't mean this - it's not a remake of the F1, but an entirely new car 'inspired' by the F1, the main similarity being it's a 3-seater. Everything else is different.

Reborn McLaren F1 confirmed for production as hyper-GT | Autocar

ka88

RMS Regular
Drives
Porsche 997 C2S
I very much doubt that is going to happen. I thought you meant an F1 successor (which was arguably the P1 anyway), but you mean they're actually going to being producing the original F1 again as an extended production run? It makes absolutely no sense.

Are you sure he didn't mean this - it's not a remake of the F1, but an entirely new car 'inspired' by the F1, the main similarity being it's a 3-seater. Everything else is different.

Reborn McLaren F1 confirmed for production as hyper-GT | Autocar

He definitely said remaking the original, however he is a painter so could well have been sniffing thinners that day ;)

Gaz

Drives
M4 Comp Pack
LOL I think he definitely was. Original is iconic, it would devalue existing ones, it's no longer comparable performance wise to hypercars and now that Murray is reworking TVR there may be a lack of acceptance without his involvement.