trader not giving warranty?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

alpha-dog

RMS Regular
friend bought a car, he seems to be under the impression the seller is a trader as he took his old car as a trade in and the seller explicitly said that there will be no warranty with the car he's bought.

so what's the legalitys with warranty and being a trader?

its a GT tdi mk5 golf and the flywheel is going.

should he go to the solicitors?

Gavlar

RMS Regular
Could try citizens advice bureau first, imagine it would be hard unless the flywheel fault was there when he bought/test drove it?

sssimon

RMS Regular
Drives
1.8t a3
the trader can say what he likes but if it's a trader selling to a member of the public there are certain things that he has to cover unless stated as sold with that fault at time of sale.

Citizens advice really helped me in a similar case a few years back and I got a few hundred quid back (still lost £500-600 but was better than nowt)

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
How long since he bought the car?

A strongly worded letter from a solicitor should do the trick in most cases with back yard traders like that.

pablo

RMS Moderator
yeah mostly on dervs, the low down torque kills them. pretty much replaced with a clutch these days.

matt1207

RMS Regular
Drives
mk7.5 R
Give the Citizens Advice Bureau a call, they will probably tell you that if you think the car is not fit for purpose then you are entitled to a full refund and any costs incurred.
However as this is a flywheel issue and could be seen as consumable this may not be the case.

I would try and put some pressure on the trader anyway, as soon as you start mentioning the CAB or Solicitors he may just give in and fix it. If you are going to use a solicitor I would recommend having all communications in writing as a paper trail will be useful

alpha-dog

RMS Regular
OP
A
Could try citizens advice bureau first, imagine it would be hard unless the flywheel fault was there when he bought/test drove it?

don't know about when he was test driving(if he even test drove it) but I think he notice it about a week or so later.

Sounds like he needs a mechanic, not a solicitor (y)

I told him to get shot of it and cut his losses.

How long since he bought the car?

A strongly worded letter from a solicitor should do the trick in most cases with back yard traders like that.

no more than two week before he started noticing it.

thanks for the replies, I'll let him know about the CAB as another friend mentioned that solicitor/court fees might end up costing more than the repair.

pablo

RMS Moderator
youd sort the flywheel with a new clutch etc for about £400-450?

if he likes the car it might be money well spent and youll know its good then.

mk2driver

RMS Regular
Drives
Impreza Type RA
Has to be fit for purpose, that's the only requirement. As said the likes if a flywheel and clutch are consumables. Done dealers will help out with costs (sometimes covering all of it) but they would have no obligation to for that component.

Kerzo

RMS Regular
Drives
Leon FR
youd sort the flywheel with a new clutch etc for about £400-450?

if he likes the car it might be money well spent and youll know its good then.

Fully agree - unfortunately you just have to factor this in to modern diesel ownership.

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
I would highly doubt ANY used car dealer would stand over a flywheel TBH.

They would offer a basic engine and box warranty and that would be it.

I imagine he would be wasting his time and money getting solicitor involved.

Woodcutter

RMS Regular

Not at all.

I have sold DMF's to dealers who have had to stand over such failures.

mi16chris

RMS Regular
Drives
210hp clio 182
Y would they not cover a fly wheel ? I've been n the trade for over 10 years and they should 100% be covering a fly wheel , if u have finance on the car ring the finance company and tell them , I would put money on it he soon changes his tune

Edit if it was sold as seen I'm not sure if he has a leg to stand on

brendy

RMS Regular
So, in a nutshell, Yes it is covered, but it might not, strictly only diesels cars that suffer flywheel issues (problems), though petrols have been known to also. Flywheels are consumable yet I know some people that are so tight, petrol wouldnt even be considered that.
Sell it on and get rid of the problem, but let someone else worry about it who might well try and have a go at you as you sold it to them (not everyone believes in sold as seen, regardless of the law) and may well make your life a misery.

How come noone has just going round and giving him a boot in the balls? seems to cure/fix/resolve a lot of things.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI

Hursts did for me.

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
Not at all.

I have sold DMF's to dealers who have had to stand over such failures.
they don't have to though that's what i am saying, a handful will out of good will and to keep a good name but some back street dealer is unlikely to and as it is a consumable on a derv then a court i would doubt will make the dealer stand over it

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
Hursts did for me.
should have explained better, but was aiming towards a lot of the home sellers/part time dealers

i have been visiting a fierce amount of dealers the last few months with work and the sheer amount of back street / home dealers i have been to is unreal, a lot of whom i'd not even consider dealing with on first impressions and service i get

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.