trader not giving warranty?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
You worked in the motor trade and sold cars from a workshop, with a ramp, etc. To Joe Public you're a 'car dealer' so you need to correct them. It's an unusual circumstance, not the norm. I've bought a few cars over the years and not once has anyone (that wasn't trade) mention anything about warranties.

AIRFORCE1

Banned
Drives
164/580 Topline
You worked in the motor trade and sold cars from a workshop, with a ramp, etc. To Joe Public you're a 'car dealer' so you need to correct them. It's an unusual circumstance, not the norm. I've bought a few cars over the years and not once has anyone (that wasn't trade) mention anything about warranties.

No I sold my own personal car to another person. So what your saying is I must now scrap all my vehicles when I'm finished with them and can no longer sell them without paying offering warrantee on them.putting them through my car repair business book etc ?
Catch a grip of yourself.

Next thing your going to be standing in the forecourt of your local BP station complaining the diesel they sold you last week ran out and you demand a refund lmfao
My god the current world sucks Ffs

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
No I sold my own personal car to another person. So what your saying is I must now scrap all my vehicles when I'm finished with them and can no longer sell them without paying offering warrantee on them.putting them through my car repair business book etc ?
Catch a grip of yourself.

Next thing your going to be standing in the forecourt of your local BP station complaining the diesel they sold you last week ran out and you demand a refund lmfao
My god the current world sucks Ffs

That escalated quickly 8-(

Was just saying that you've a different circumstance to most other folk selling their own motor and therefore you need to explain. It's not a normal circumstance. There's no need to jump down my throat.

AIRFORCE1

Banned
Drives
164/580 Topline
My point was and still is. Just because you take a trade in does not make you a dealer. I am not a car dealer, do not deal in cars, will take a trade in against my own car if it's something interesting. Don't give a warrantee as I'm not a dealer. But do always point out once you happy with it it's yours and don't come back here. And just because someone else has done the exact same thing doesn't make them a car dealer.

pablo

RMS Moderator
in fairness Johnny no matter what you say to the person, and what they agree to, if it went before a court Id bet they would see you as a trader in that circumstance. Even though technically its a private sale of your own personal car.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
My point was and still is. Just because you take a trade in does not make you a dealer. I am not a car dealer, do not deal in cars, will take a trade in against my own car if it's something interesting. Don't give a warrantee as I'm not a dealer. But do always point out once you happy with it it's yours and don't come back here. And just because someone else has done the exact same thing doesn't make them a car dealer.
lol I never disagreed with that ^o)

AIRFORCE1

Banned
Drives
164/580 Topline
in fairness Johnny no matter what you say to the person, and what they agree to, if it went before a court Id bet they would see you as a trader in that circumstance. Even though technically its a private sale of your own personal car.

I'd doubt it Pablo. As they could go through my books for 15 years and not find one car bought or sold anywhere to be able justify there decision as classifying me as a car dealer. Even out trak mak wasn't a company car that needed to be sold. It was privately owned by me and phil. So there has never been a car bought or sold in my 15 years as self employed. Either personal or for business purposes. There would be an awful lot of appeals back to court over that decision .

Marc

RMS Moderator
I'd doubt it Pablo. As they could go through my books for 15 years and not find one car bought or sold anywhere to be able justify there decision as classifying me as a car dealer. Even out trak mak wasn't a company car that needed to be sold. It was privately owned by me and phil. So there has never been a car bought or sold in my 15 years as self employed. Either personal or for business purposes. There would be an awful lot of appeals back to court over that decision .

I think from reading Coog's he can see why you explain that your not a trader and offer no warranty as such, as the impression some people might get when visiting a business premises is that your a trader and as such they get more rights etc.

I dont think he was disagreeing that you are a trader, its quite obvious to us that know your name/business what you do and that I think I have seen you with only 3/4 different cars over the past few years.

pablo

RMS Moderator
do you think a court would agree? Or think that you were selling cars on the sly as "personal" vehicles that would be off the books.

btw the above is in no way a dig/slander on your part, would apply to any person in your situation selling a car. I guess the fact you owned the car for a resaonable time and had the V5 in your name etc would show it was a personal car and not something you were blowing on.

I guess my point is it doesnt matter what you say or what the buyer agrees to if they went the route of court it would mean nowt and they would make their own decision.

Sgt_Major

RMS Regular
Drives
E81 123d
I think the courts would look at how many cars you sold, on a per month ratio. This would then be used to argue if you were or were not a car dealer.

The fact you don't paperwork them as such doesn't mean you're in the clear either. By the letter of the law if you buy a car for £1000, and sell it for £1500, I reckon the tax man says you have to declare that £500 as extra income, though I could be mislead there...

AIRFORCE1

Banned
Drives
164/580 Topline

Tbh tho I don't sell my cars anymore now anyway. I simply cannot be bothered dealing with idiots turning up to buy them. I haven't sold one of my own cars in 3-4 years now. I just blow everything out to Ricky at RB automotive in newtownards now once I'm done with them and let him deal with the retail folk. Much more peaceful that way :grinning:

AIRFORCE1

Banned
Drives
164/580 Topline
I think the courts would look at how many cars you sold, on a per month ratio. This would then be used to argue if you were or were not a car dealer.

The fact you don't paperwork them as such doesn't mean you're in the clear either. By the letter of the law if you buy a car for £1000, and sell it for £1500, I reckon the tax man says you have to declare that £500 as extra income, though I could be mislead there...
I don't paperwork them because I don't deal in them. Eg. Bought my evo x in 2008, sold it 2011, took the 9gt for 7 months, sold it, bought the X5 and had it 14 months, sold it bought the hemi which I currently have now. That's 4 cars in 5 years and I still have no4. That sound like a car dealer??

pablo

RMS Moderator
in fairness you could be buying and selling cars flat out that never see paperwork. All as your "personal" car for the interests of zero warranty and noone would know about it.

(I know you arent, but the point could be argued).

Sgt_Major

RMS Regular
Drives
E81 123d
I don't paperwork them because I don't deal in them. Eg. Bought my evo x in 2008, sold it 2011, took the 9gt for 7 months, sold it, bought the X5 and had it 14 months, sold it bought the hemi which I currently have now. That's 4 cars in 5 years and I still have no4. That sound like a car dealer??

To me, nope.

I'd say guys that are shifting 2-4 + a month would have a different argument though.

pablo

RMS Moderator
to counter my own argument if its a personal car the V5 will be in your name, but if its a trade car then the V5 wouldnt be inyour name (if youre wise). So that would be an obvious indicator that its not a trade sale.

AIRFORCE1

Banned
Drives
164/580 Topline
do you think a court would agree? Or think that you were selling cars on the sly as "personal" vehicles that would be off the books.

btw the above is in no way a dig/slander on your part, would apply to any person in your situation selling a car. I guess the fact you owned the car for a resaonable time and had the V5 in your name etc would show it was a personal car and not something you were blowing on.

I guess my point is it doesnt matter what you say or what the buyer agrees to if they went the route of court it would mean nowt and they would make their own decision.

This is all very true. My personal case is very easy to prove tho. As I only sell my own cars. So all been registered in my name. My point was originally that just because someone takes your car in a trade in and then goes to effort of making sure you are aware you are not getting a warrantee on this so if you bust it don't ring me kiddo. Does not necessarily mean they are a dealer like everyone automatically jumped upon. There is exceptions. I think I have made that point pretty clear. Now the guy may well be a dealer like. And if he is then he should help somewhat. But don't just assume folks :grinning:

Terry

RMS Regular
Drives
Carefully
I don't really see where the big disagreement comes from, I think it was merely someone pointing out that if joe public turn up to another joe publics house to buy a car and notice that there is a full workshop with lift / ramp etc then they might mistakenly assume that it's some form of business / trader and should therefore be put right. Whereas if they turn up to my driveway all they can see is a garden shed and it's more obvious that I'm not a dealer.

On a completely unrelated but somewhat similar comparison... on my way home from work if I call in to Tesco or PC World, it isn't surprising that some people ask me where something is as they assume I work there since I'm in a suit. I politely say 'I don't work here'. Whereas if I was in jeans and a hoody I doubt there'd be any mix up. - Take from that what you will but it's not far off from an apt analagy.

AIRFORCE1

Banned
Drives
164/580 Topline
I don't really see where the big disagreement comes from, I think it was merely someone pointing out that if joe public turn up to another joe publics house to buy a car and notice that there is a full workshop with lift / ramp etc then they might mistakenly assume that it's some form of business / trader and should therefore be put right. Whereas if they turn up to my driveway all they can see is a garden shed and it's more obvious that I'm not a dealer.

On a completely unrelated but somewhat similar comparison... on my way home from work if I call in to Tesco or PC World, it isn't surprising that some people ask me where something is as they assume I work there since I'm in a suit. I politely say 'I don't work here'. Whereas if I was in jeans and a hoody I doubt there'd be any mix up. - Take from that what you will but it's not far off from an apt analagy.

I wouldn't ask anyone in PC world where anything was. I'm a retard around a computer. First to admit it. But last time I asked for help in there I asked the guy did they happen to be able to get me a laptop with a 9 pin serial. Oh yes no problem. Brilliant I though, as these are pretty much extinct. Out he pops with one and shows me the plug to connect a monitor. And this spastic got a job in a computer shop Ffs. I'm useless with a computer but even I know better than that . And I can barely work a mouse :-(

RickyB

RMS Regular
Drives
E3VO X
If it went to court I cant see how they could say Johnny was a car dealer?? Just because hes a self-employed mechanic doesnt mean hes selling cars on the sly. Any car he has has been registered in his own name for quite a while and Im sure he could dig up bank records to show money going in and out for them and the big loss he makes on them because he wakes up one morning and decides he wants an SRT8....lol
On the other hand there are many members on RMS who chop and change cars and Jeeps every other month who I would rate a part-time dealers. I doubt they are making a loss on everyone so should they be offering warranty??
On another note I had a 7 month old Audi with 10k on it and the clutch was slipping. Audi refused to fix it under warranty unless I let them strip it at £500 to inspect it. If they found it was component failure they would cover this cost but wasnt worth the hassle of leaving it into them.

RickyB

RMS Regular
Drives
E3VO X

Thats like saying if sumone came round to the house and seen the wife had a room converted for S&M with bondage gear and whips doesnt mean shes a hooker........

Terry

RMS Regular
Drives
Carefully
I wouldn't ask anyone in PC world where anything was. I'm a retard around a computer. First to admit it. But last time I asked for help in there I asked the guy did they happen to be able to get me a laptop with a 9 pin serial. Oh yes no problem. Brilliant I though, as these are pretty much extinct. Out he pops with one and shows me the plug to connect a monitor. And this spastic got a job in a computer shop Ffs. I'm useless with a computer but even I know better than that . And I can barely work a mouse :-(

lol at the risk of going off topic I used PC World as an example as I did get asked for help in there before by an older couple and I did actually give them advice and saved them some money and showed them how to work a couple of things :p

Terry

RMS Regular
Drives
Carefully
Thats like saying if sumone came round to the house and seen the wife had a room converted for S&M with bondage gear and whips doesnt mean shes a hooker........

Yup it's exactly like saying that, just with different words ;)

I can't tell if you're joking / agreeing or sarcasm but yeah the point is people can assume all they want but it doesn't mean they are right, as in you can't judge a book by its cover.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.