trader not giving warranty?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Aye I know what you mean. I'd argue the point about a flywheel being considered a consumable too but seems I'm on my own with that one lol. Just because it's a common fault doesn't make it a consumable. If that was the case you'd have cover for engine block and that would be about the extent of it.

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
Aye I know what you mean. I'd argue the point about a flywheel being considered a consumable too but seems I'm on my own with that one lol. Just because it's a common fault doesn't make it a consumable. If that was the case you'd have cover for engine block and that would be about the extent of it.
as said a court would push a dealer to cover catastrophic engine or box failure and that's about it from what i have read on here from a handful of folks in the trade and also people i deal with daily in the trade.

the rest is at a dealers discretion, most reputable ones will help out as best they seen fit to protect a good name.

IMHO a flywheel should be fit to cover 100k and that is about the lifespan of them, but then there is a way of driving a derv with DMF that will prolong the life of them, there is 70k on my car and i have no idea how it was driven before i bought it, modern dervs are a gamble and based on the condition of the rest of the car a gamble i was willing to take as it has been extremely well looked after so i just hope they were able to drive normally lol

PS. i bought my car as a trade sale meaning not a chance of any come back

matt1207

RMS Regular
Drives
mk7.5 R
Put some pressure on the dealer, if he gives in then its a result. If he doesn't and you have to get the flywheel replaced yourself then at least you have piece of mind that you have a shiny new flywheel in there.

alpha-dog

RMS Regular
OP
A
regardless if the flywheel is a "consumable" and the fella is definitely a trader/dealer then why did he say he doesn't provide warranty? its possible he only declared that there was no warranty on the car my friend bought (I wasn't there) or he could've meant all his cars for sale don't have warranty but then again why even mention warranty if its a private sale?

I should've made it more clear that I thought it was quite suspicious that he even needed to mention warranty as if he knew something was going to go wrong.

on another note, what makes someone a dealer/trader?

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
my experience would depict that say a car is priced at 5600 and the dealer says he needs 5300...

you say i have 5000 and the dealer says OK that will do, but that would be a trade sale at that money and no warranty can be offered.

thus he hasn't made enough profit to cover anything that may go wrong but he is happy get get a quick turn

as for what makes a dealer, pffft that's one that will change with each post after this i guess

alpha-dog

RMS Regular
OP
A
my experience would depict that say a car is priced at 5600 and the dealer says he needs 5300...

you say i have 5000 and the dealer says OK that will do, but that would be a trade sale at that money and no warranty can be offered.

thus he hasn't made enough profit to cover anything that may go wrong but he is happy get get a quick turn

as for what makes a dealer, pffft that's one that will change with each post after this i guess

never heard of that before, thanks for the heads up.

yeah, I remember someone saying that you have to sell so many cars a year to technically become a dealer then warranty is mandatory for each car you sell but that source could've been talking outa his hole for all I know.

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
There are no manditory warranty, only thing is the sale of goods act, where a vehicle must be fit for purpose at the time of sale. Did your friend sign a sold as seen reciepr?

This is why I got out of selling cars, first person people ring when a car breaks now is a solicitor.

If your friend agreed to those terms of sale then why should he expect anything different

sssimon

RMS Regular
Drives
1.8t a3

you can say it's a trade sale all you want but if you're a trader selling to the public it's not a trade sale.

The guy I got stung by was a trader who worked in one garage (unknown to me) and then dealt in older stuff from the house (stuff that was older than he stocked in his main business). He tried to say as at the time I worked in the motor trade that it was a trade sale so now warranty was offered due the car being 10 years old. Citizens advice sent him a letter and he agreed to take the car back. 3 days later he tried to declare himself bankrupt but luckily I got some money off him by landing at his house and watching him take money off someone for a car.

alpha-dog

RMS Regular
OP
A
There are no manditory warranty, only thing is the sale of goods act, where a vehicle must be fit for purpose at the time of sale. Did your friend sign a sold as seen receipt

If your friend agreed to those terms of sale then why should he expect anything different

I've honestly no idea, I'll ask him about it though

mthompo

RMS Regular
Drives
Too much...
friend bought a car, he seems to be under the impression the seller is a trader as he took his old car as a trade in and the seller explicitly said that there will be no warranty with the car he's bought.

so what's the legalitys with warranty and being a trader?

its a GT tdi mk5 golf and the flywheel is going.

should he go to the solicitors?

you's are all missing the most important part of the orignal post. Just because he took a 'trade in' doesn't mean hes a dealer??

as for flywheels they are common as muck to go on a modern diesel. If there was no problem at point of sale i'm not sure he has a leg to stand on, they are that common and can fail at anytime surely

mboyle290

RMS Regular
Drives
'91 Corolla GTi
We bought a jeep from a registered dealer and the ring gear needed changed. Was sold as a trade sale at the time but after being told he's to stand over the engine and gearbox for 3 months he fixed it for free. Apparently you have 3 months regardless of a trade sale if they're a registered trader unless the car is towed or trailerd away

alpha-dog

RMS Regular
OP
A
you's are all missing the most important part of the orignal post. Just because he took a 'trade in' doesn't mean hes a dealer??

as for flywheels they are common as muck to go on a modern diesel. If there was no problem at point of sale i'm not sure he has a leg to stand on, they are that common and can fail at anytime surely

but if it was without a doubt a private sale why even mention warranty? I wasn't there so I'm not too sure but it just sounds funny...

well at least I now know to check if the flywheels been changed recently if I ever buy a modern derv

mthompo

RMS Regular
Drives
Too much...
but if it was without a doubt a private sale why even mention warranty? I wasn't there so I'm not too sure but it just sounds funny...

well at least I now know to check if the flywheels been changed recently if I ever buy a modern derv

quite true

Wild Thing

RMS Regular
We bought a jeep from a registered dealer and the ring gear needed changed. Was sold as a trade sale at the time but after being told he's to stand over the engine and gearbox for 3 months he fixed it for free. Apparently you have 3 months regardless of a trade sale if they're a registered trader unless the car is towed or trailerd away

Out of curiosity have you a link to validate the 3 month warranty

SMcP114

RMS Regular
Drives
Austin Allegro
A trader is not legally obliged to offer a warranty, be it 3 months, 6, or whatever. They are covered only by the Sale of Goods Act, where the vehicle has to be 'fit for purpose'. Obviously there will be so many variables there each case has to be judged on it's own merits.

They can also not make a 'trade sale' to a member of the public. 'Sold as seen' does not exist.

AIRFORCE1

Banned
Drives
164/580 Topline

Exactly, he may well have been a dealer but taking a trade in doesn't make him so. When I sold my evo ten RS I took a 9GT in a trade in against it. And I'm not a car dealer. May have looked like one. Sold it from the Ai workshop which was covered in Evos everywhere and there's me selling an evo and trading in an evo.
I also stated to its owner that there was absolutely no comebacks on the car, if you go out and wreck it doing donuts and launching at it etc don't be moaning at me. I'll fix it for you but your paying the bill for it. Same way I didn't ring him up everytime I smashed something in the GT outta abuse and expect him to pay for it for me.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
I've taken trade ins too but never felt the need to talk about warranties. The only person that will even mention a warranty (or lack of) is a trader. Why would he mention it in the first place?

gt_86

RMS Regular
Jesus wept. What about petrol cars?

I'd a flywheel done under warranty by Hursts. No gurning of it being a consumable item then thank feck. Think it cost over £500 to sort too 8-(

just checked warranty for my car (2 litre petrol) bought used fromn main dealer
says flywheel is covered,but also says warranty repairs to a max of £250
we all kno how far £250 gets you at main dealers haha

Deleted member 13907

D
I remember when I was working for a trader we had a car that developed a flywheel issue.
If I'm completely honest, there had been something 'not right' with the car. We had send it to a mechanic and it came back seemingly fine.
A few weeks after it had been bought, the problem came back. We sent it to a different mechanic who sorted the flywheel and the car ran 100% after that.
The guy I was working for took a very different approach. He basically told the buyer that he would stand over it, but asked would they be prepared to pay for part of it (he chanced him arm).
Bearing in mind that this guy could sell snow to eskimoes, the buyer agreed to put a contribution towards it. In fairness, we had lent him a car, we kept him well updated to what was going on and I think the car was also serviced or something on top of what was really needed.
In this case, I dont think they had opted for a warranty, but as the dealer relies heavily on repeat business he was happy to sort it for them.

AIRFORCE1

Banned
Drives
164/580 Topline
I've taken trade ins too but never felt the need to talk about warranties. The only person that will even mention a warranty (or lack of) is a trader. Why would he mention it in the first place?

I always mention this fact and I do not trade in cars at all. I generally tell people buying my cars off me you can test drive them as long you want, I'll put it on the ramp here for you, have whoever you want look at it. But if you wreck it on the way home don't ring me as I ain't interested. It's yours once you pay for it and I'm fixing nothing for you. I probably point it out so blatantly because people these days take the piss and think they can buy a car, do 300 big wheel spins and then ring you up 8 weeks later and ask you buy them a clutch and 3 driveshafts as it's your fault it's broke.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.