Who are all the Detailers on here?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.
OP
The Detail & Dent Co
:confounded: i think maybe some people here are missing the point and are going straight into negative mode,ie instead of pointing the finger and presuming that this was a plug for business or free advertising or to check out the rival detailer/valeter maybe the question was put out there to genuinely see who else also done this line of work as in some cases when detailing certain cars you can hit a problem or two especially with the paint correction so it is always good to know of a few others who do this job and may have come across the same problems so that they could be contacted for some advice but i suppose i will get a few negs on this reply,well it helps to look at the bigger picture intsead of a quick glance and then straight into rant mode,anyway the frontera that fella done was top class(y)

sums up my thoughts...you know, i don't think much of spending 15+ hrs on a detail, getting to bed and the next morning (after taking one of my two wee fellas to school), getting stuck into that motor again for another day or more...I actually get immense satisfaction outta what I do...its not just about money...
there is no-one(I know of) doing what I do around here, plenty of valeters(some of them very good friends) but no-one spending time on them like I do.

I know for sure there are a lot of folks on here who are well experienced in this trade, pity they didn't speak up...

PS: For those who know me, know my sense of humour!

Rfg

RMS Regular
Your not far from me lol!!! I have to laugh I have a new shape cooper S in at the minute. so far the wash/detar/clay stage was about 3 hours and I have spent nearly 6 hours in the interior alone including air con clean etc etc..(I work harder on my days off now than wwhen I am doing my "real" job LOL) Now there will be another 15 hours+ on the outside tomorrow.. I cant see how any less time could be spent on getting the car into a decent shape.

Amos

RMS Regular
Drives
What ever is in
Your not far from me lol!!! I have to laugh I have a new shape cooper S in at the minute. so far the wash/detar/clay stage was about 3 hours and I have spent nearly 6 hours in the interior alone including air con clean etc etc..(I work harder on my days off now than wwhen I am doing my "real" job LOL) Now there will be another 15 hours+ on the outside tomorrow.. I cant see how any less time could be spent on getting the car into a decent shape.

The problem I see Ronnie is some so called detailers can do all that in about 6 hours an then they expect to get payed £100's....

You can see a car which has been detailed corectly, and had time spent on it, from the photos some people put up....

Then you see the ones with dirty wheels, arches, door jams etc....

All this can be seen in photos............

Paul RS

RMS Regular
Drives
Sierra Cosworth
Here's a question - Am i a detailer?

I like keeping my car clean, inside and out. Would take the seats out to vacuum every now and then. Polish everywhere i can, including the engine bay (alloy tanks etc). Keep it well waxed etc etc. Think nothing of taking the wheels off to clean the brakes/inner arches....

I've helped clean friends cars, but i never do it for money.

Dave

RMS Regular
i never have the time to wash my car never mind "detail" it... civic hasnt been washed in at least a month

Rfg

RMS Regular
But Paul would you do it for someone else say a 2006 civic or focus etc that is totally standard.

clarkeg

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW S1000rr
lol @ this thread! Detail and Dent Co your not far from me either lol. That's two detailers near you ;););)

Stevies

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo V50
Fermanagh isn't that far away either though unfortunately I'm not doing much detailing at the min - could always look after you if your looking some stuff though...

paulmc08

RMS Regular
Drives
Vectra B 2.2Dti
Fermanagh isn't that far away either though unfortunately I'm not doing much detailing at the min - could always look after you if your looking some stuff though...
ah ha Stevie,how's the world of the horizontal treating you or are you back with us in the vertical world again:grinning:hope your keeping well mate,just for those who didnt know he has had a horrific time with his back

paulmc08

RMS Regular
Drives
Vectra B 2.2Dti
The problem I see Ronnie is some so called detailers can do all that in about 6 hours an then they expect to get payed £100's....

You can see a car which has been detailed corectly, and had time spent on it, from the photos some people put up....

Then you see the ones with dirty wheels, arches, door jams etc....

All this can be seen in photos............
Amos your spot on in my opinion anything cleaned in under 10 hours usually is a valet,i spent around five and a half hours today prepping my own car for some paint correction ie wheels off car up on four axle stands every corner washed scrubbed de-tarred arch linings dressed wheels polished and sealed car washed in the usual manner,de-tarred re-washed clayed washed again dryed and ready for the machine work sun morn,no golf this weekend:sob:

Stevies

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo V50
Thanks Paul, still waiting on surgery - hopefully January then a 3 month recovery.

Big difference in a valet and a detail though - no arguement about that.

Rfg

RMS Regular
too right I would love to let fly though.... ahhhh its only a web site nothing to take too seriously eh.. plus my foam lance has packed up gerrr

Rfg

RMS Regular
Dont think its clogged just no foam. putting it out very lightly nearly like the std power hose foaming if you know what I mean.. would that seem like a clog to u?

Rfg

RMS Regular
cheers will give it a go Must get a run up some time for a natter!

Paul RS

RMS Regular
Drives
Sierra Cosworth
But Paul would you do it for someone else say a 2006 civic or focus etc that is totally standard.

No but thats my point. What i do to my own car is 'detailing' but that doesn't make me a detailer, nor would i ever think myself one.

Some people on here think they are detailers when they really aren't! I've not seen everyones work first hand, but of those that i have seen only a couple would be let loose on a car i owned.

B A Baracus

RMS Regular
Drives
Fergie TVO
My fireplace surround and hearth was looking dull and lifeless from lighting the fire. I buffed the f**k out of it earlier, i didnt take any 50/50 shots so i mustnt be a detailer.

Rfg

RMS Regular
personally I would not call myself a detailer never have and never will but I like to clean my cars and try to get the best finish possible i also do a few friends cars with a mate for a bit of craic. Yes Paul what you do is classed as detailing. The only reason i do other peoples cars is there is only so much you can do to one car and so many times you can do it before you cause damage to the paint. cant see why some people get so dizzy about the whole thing if this section was about building big HP cars or mad audio systems then everyone would be ass kissing with comments on how great this is no matter what you have done... but because its car care and cleaning there is nothing but slagging at every opportunity

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
Paul have you seen the car literally on pick up?? It literally takes one wash with poor technique to ruin a prefect finish.

Thats one of the reasons I don't post my work anymore, people see a car a few weeks months etc after it's done and expect it still to be 'just detailed' fresh. Fact is if the owner doesn't treat it correctly afterwards thats not my problem, they have been advised.

I've seen cars come back for a top up and you honestly wonder what the hell owners have done to their cars and Ryan will tell you the same.

Paul RS

RMS Regular
Drives
Sierra Cosworth
I've been there when a few have been picked up, those were the poor ones. But on the other side of the coin i've seen cars a good while after they've been done that are still flawless:grinning:

I'm not 'slagging' anyone directly here, just saying i know who i would trust to do my car based on the work i've seen:grinning:

My other point is there are too many people here that think they are detailers when they really aren't. I probably do more 'detailing' than them and i'd never consider myself a detailer.

For the record this isn't aimed at you or ronnie, i've heard good reports on your work from peoples opinions i'd trust :grinning:

Yes i'm being very vague, but i jsut can't be arsed naming names and all the bitching it'll cause lol

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.