'Safe' Cars, Financially!

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Would you go for something like an Elise or vx220? May not exactly be comfortable for long distances but shouldn't lose a pile and should be a bit of craic. Especially if you're home after travelling and want a blast out :grinning:

You can buy a quick saloon when your ancient, like me :p

hutchy_belfast

RMS Regular
I daily drivered a vx220 then a vx220 turbo as my only car for 18months. They have gone up in value since then and if you buy a clean standard one won't lose a penny especially if buying in march.
You need a bit of a sense of humour driving one daily but there isn't much to go wrong and if it does it's all cheap parts. Not much on the road will keep up with one from a standing start either.

mayweather

RMS Regular
Drives
M3 Evolution
I would go for an e36 m3, they are appreciating but also hard to find a good one now.

I would personally advise against buying an e46 m3 for 8 grand plus right now with the intention of storing for 2 - 3 years, they are going to come down in price, I guarantee it.

Eager

RMS Regular
Drives
broooooom
Id say a year or so be safe. I wouldnt want to pay 12 grand now for one and hope its a safe 3 year investment.
Look how long it has took for the e36 to start to bounce.

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
So you believe the e46 m3 has already hit rock bottom and they are now appreciating cars? As the e92 becomes more affordable, the e46 m3 is going to take a hit.

E92 is the last M3. They will soon appreciate...

Eager

RMS Regular
Drives
broooooom
E92 is the last M3. They will soon appreciate...

especially when all the subframes fall out of the e46's in years to come with all the dodgy mig repair jobs that will show in time (yes, lots will be repaired properly, however lots will be bodged and end up a nightmare)

simy

RMS Regular
BMW 6 series
BMW Z4M coupe
Petrol Range Rover?

These are all in NI.
audi-rs6-quattro-auto-full-spec-car-107490025-3.jpg
bmw-m5-m5-S1647154-1.jpg

mercedes-benz-s-class-S1677656-4.jpg
jaguar-xj-4-2-v8-super-4dr-fsh-24-months-warranty-superb-110653789-4.jpg

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
especially when all the subframes fall out of the e46's in years to come with all the dodgy mig repair jobs that will show in time (yes, lots will be repaired properly, however lots will be bodged and end up a nightmare)

We've an E46 328i in at the minute which we are converting to manual. We also have to repair the rear subframe mounts after someone "repaired" them a while ago. Looks like it's going to be a nice job to re-do when we get to it :oops:

PeteMoore

RMS Regular
I would go for any of the STI model imprezas, with the mileage you are talking of putting on it, if bought right, you could even walk away in profit as their prices are all over the place and it all depends on condition alone.

FRS is a good shout

But personally, something like a 182 and kick its stones in for 6 months then sell it on, you wont make anything on it, but you aren't going to lose much either. Keep the rest to plough into an appreciating prestige, classic or sports car.

Eager

RMS Regular
Drives
broooooom
We've an E46 328i in at the minute which we are converting to manual. We also have to repair the rear subframe mounts after someone "repaired" them a while ago. Looks like it's going to be a nice job to re-do when we get to it :oops:

Thats the exact sort of thing i am talking about. Many a nightmare be coming in time. Lots of crap welding skills, dodgy plating and gallons of coverup waxoyl

'96dc2

RMS Regular
Opinions on an evo 6 TME? I'm in a position to buy a weekend car and I want something that will hold its money

Eager

RMS Regular
Drives
broooooom
Opinions on an evo 6 TME? I'm in a position to buy a weekend car and I want something that will hold its money

Great buy and there appreciating. Looked at a white one few week ago, low mile example. Didnt bother, was slapped. Red with stripes is the one

'96dc2

RMS Regular
I'd be thinking of a fresh import, probably through dcy Europe. They have a nice black one in currently

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.